CMUD?

Need some help with your MUD client? Forgot your password? Get help here.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Rhaegar
Legend

Re: CMUD?

Post by Rhaegar » 01 Jul 2010 12:33

Laurel wrote:I forgot to mention - he did that in TF
maybe ZMud has that, but I never cared to check :ugeek:
Yeah, in TF you can bind any key to do anything you want.
Imagine this numpad settings:
4,8,6,2 - west, north, east, south
9 (page up) - up
3 (page down) - down
7 (home) - in
1 (end) - out
5 - common (or whatever else, really)

Would be pretty intuitive. But I like to type in the dirs manually.
I fear no evil for I am fear incarnate.

Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 01 Jul 2010 14:40

5 is for look :)
7,9,1 and 3 nw etc
0 for out
. del for in
- up
+ down

In zmud you create the extra directions (so they work with the mapper and paths, ie the reverse direction is recorded also)
then assign the direction to a macro key

Oh yeah * used to be for climb gate in the Kabal days.. :)
Could maybe change that now to kill irk x 2 :lol:
http://genesisquests.pbworks.com/
Join up and help each other with Quests :)

Earth
Great Adventurer

Post by Earth » 01 Jul 2010 16:37

Rhaegar wrote:I don't mean to be hardcore. I just think that having a map displayed at all times, and the ability to click your mouse on any location there to near-instantly travel to the desired room takes away a part of magic.

It's just the way I like it. I've never used automappers (pen and paper ftw!), speedpaths, hunting triggers or anything like it. I like the thrill when someone attacks you, you panic, start to enter random exits and you end up not knowing where you are exactly and desperately try to get out to the area you know better.
I just don't think that pressing buttons, seeing your inventory, it's current state and what you have in all possible containers at the same time is a good thing. It takes away the analog/human feel to it.

But that's just my opinion and not everyone has to agree with it :)
I've played the game so long that it's rare that I actually have a map going. Doesn't mean they are not helpful in certain situations. I usually only use them in places like the war areas where I can easily keep track of which area I'm in so I can focus on conquering on area vs another, etc, or if I'm questing in a brand new area.

Cmud is just a tool like anything else. Whether you use the tool for a particular task is up to you, but the initial question of the thread was the pros and cons of Cmud, so I answered it.

The features I use the most personally are the ability to program the function keys on the keyboard and highlighting text in different colors.

F5, F6, F7 and F8 are programmed to rescue teammembers in the order that they appear on your 'team' list. Quite handy when you have to rescue trubleemma in a hurry. I always have trouble typing her name. In fact, she is the only 'nick' I have created in the realms...emma = trublemma so that if I have to emote to her when she is not on my team I just type 'nod emma'.

I highlight all attack messages in white so I can easily see if my teammates are attacks. I highlight all my kattack messages in red, all speaking text in green, etc...

Since as a knight my first priority is the safety of my team, it pays to be aware, even if you don't use the automatic triggers for things, especially when you are leading a team of 8 players with see fights on.

Rhaegar, if you want to talk about hardcore playing, I sometimes play from my cell phone via PocketPuTTy on my cell's internet connection. Not only do I have only a limited number of lines on my screen and the lag from the cell internet, but also imagine having to type all your commands with your thumb keyboard. ;)

Bomrim
Apprentice

Post by Bomrim » 01 Jul 2010 23:07

Earth wrote:
Rhaegar wrote:I don't mean to be hardcore. I just think that having a map displayed at all times, and the ability to click your mouse on any location there to near-instantly travel to the desired room takes away a part of magic.

It's just the way I like it. I've never used automappers (pen and paper ftw!), speedpaths, hunting triggers or anything like it. I like the thrill when someone attacks you, you panic, start to enter random exits and you end up not knowing where you are exactly and desperately try to get out to the area you know better.
I just don't think that pressing buttons, seeing your inventory, it's current state and what you have in all possible containers at the same time is a good thing. It takes away the analog/human feel to it.

But that's just my opinion and not everyone has to agree with it :)
I've played the game so long that it's rare that I actually have a map going. Doesn't mean they are not helpful in certain situations. I usually only use them in places like the war areas where I can easily keep track of which area I'm in so I can focus on conquering on area vs another, etc, or if I'm questing in a brand new area.

Cmud is just a tool like anything else. Whether you use the tool for a particular task is up to you, but the initial question of the thread was the pros and cons of Cmud, so I answered it.

The features I use the most personally are the ability to program the function keys on the keyboard and highlighting text in different colors.

F5, F6, F7 and F8 are programmed to rescue teammembers in the order that they appear on your 'team' list. Quite handy when you have to rescue trubleemma in a hurry. I always have trouble typing her name. In fact, she is the only 'nick' I have created in the realms...emma = trublemma so that if I have to emote to her when she is not on my team I just type 'nod emma'.

I highlight all attack messages in white so I can easily see if my teammates are attacks. I highlight all my kattack messages in red, all speaking text in green, etc...

Since as a knight my first priority is the safety of my team, it pays to be aware, even if you don't use the automatic triggers for things, especially when you are leading a team of 8 players with see fights on.

Rhaegar, if you want to talk about hardcore playing, I sometimes play from my cell phone via PocketPuTTy on my cell's internet connection. Not only do I have only a limited number of lines on my screen and the lag from the cell internet, but also imagine having to type all your commands with your thumb keyboard. ;)
Ahh, ok. I need the highlighting. As I'm at my laptop I use to miss the chat.

Is there an avaliable client for iPhone's?
Bomrim the Mighty Rockfriend, Supreme Master Gladiator of Athas and August
Doctor of Music, titan, male dwarf.

Earth
Great Adventurer

Post by Earth » 02 Jul 2010 00:27

Bomrim wrote:
Ahh, ok. I need the highlighting. As I'm at my laptop I use to miss the chat.

Is there an avaliable client for iPhone's?
Highlighting in CMUD is easy. Just create a trigger for whatever you want to color, then use

Code: Select all

#COLOR red
or whatever color you want to use that exists.

Here's a sample:

#TRIG {You are physically * and mentally *.} {#COLOR cyan}

Rhaegar
Legend

Post by Rhaegar » 02 Jul 2010 02:00

You can just do

* mentally *
and it will do the same with less code :)
I fear no evil for I am fear incarnate.

Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 02 Jul 2010 11:51

#colorword or #cw in zmud is likely there, to just get the phrase and not the whole line.
Handy for health levels and hit descriptions.

Lots (thousands) of color codes to choose from, blinking underlined etc all included.

As for the iphone. Yes there is a client. I think Castaneda used it a bit.
http://www.negativekelvin.com/products/mobilemud.php
http://genesisquests.pbworks.com/
Join up and help each other with Quests :)

Onton
Wanderer

Post by Onton » 02 Jul 2010 23:16

Earth wrote:

#TRIG {You are physically * and mentally *.} {#COLOR cyan}
If you are setting up the triggers from the command line like this, you can use..

#COLOR {You are physically * and mentally *.} cyan
But, if you are using a recent cmud beta, you can use the trigger wizard, which gives you a nice color picker too..

Earth
Great Adventurer

Post by Earth » 07 Jul 2010 15:46

Rhaegar wrote:You can just do

* mentally *
and it will do the same with less code :)
Yes, you are right, but in my actual trigger I have () around the * so I can capture the text and place it in my status bar. I just didn't want to make it to complicated. ;)

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/