ssh connection to Genesis

Need some help with your MUD client? Forgot your password? Get help here.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Windemere
Expert

ssh connection to Genesis

Post by Windemere » 18 Sep 2010 16:12

Is it at all possible to have an ssh connection to the mud? Open up port 443 and then allow connection through ssh.mud.genesismud.org or something.

I may have asked this already, but I'm asking again!

Windemere

cotillion
Site Admin

Re: ssh connection to Genesis

Post by cotillion » 18 Sep 2010 18:12

It might be possible.
Why is it needed?

Tapakah
Wizard

Post by Tapakah » 18 Sep 2010 18:32

I think you meant open the game to listen on port 443 which is HTTPS and open for some users that are blocked with proxy?

Right?
T.
We love self criticism - L. F. Vunyukov, "The Tale of the Troika".

Yanus
Adventurer

Post by Yanus » 18 Sep 2010 22:57

I'm strongly supporting Windemere on that subject.
What is a possibility for opening connections on https port?

Windemere
Expert

Post by Windemere » 19 Sep 2010 00:23

Well,

Right I connect right now through a shell account I have at silenceisdefeat and this allows me to connect to the mud while at work. Most telnet ports are blocked by my work but all HTTPS ports are open. The shell I connect to uses port 443 for ssh and so I can connect to it.

So, in response to Tapakah, yes that is what I meant. It is already used to connect to the genesismud.org site/forums and so I think it should be applicable to the mud.genesismud.org

and for Cherek it is necessary for two main reasons. 1. I can connect directly to the mud from work instead of having to go through a shell, and 2. It provides a secure connection to the server which in this day and age any unsecure connection can be exploited (I can keep unsecured ports closed instead of opening them.)

And yes, I do have sensitive materials on my computer that hackers may want to access, I have them encrypted at all times with 256k encryption and with a passcode but I am sure hackers could get at it should they want.

Windemere

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 19 Sep 2010 00:58

Huh? For me? You meant Cotillion? Our names are so similar? :)

And by the way, what sensitive information do you have? Whats your IP adress? Where do you live?

Yanus
Adventurer

Post by Yanus » 19 Sep 2010 01:51

Cherek - could you move this discussion with Windemere to a cosy place somewhere in Calathin or Cadu? ;)

Let's stay on opening connections through https port subject.

One of the flaws of Genesis (and muds in total) is that gives so little stimuli (all we got is text - no colour, no graphics, no sound etc etc). At the same time it means that Genesis requires so little resources to work. Actually it'll work everywhere! Unless... Unless we'll have a chance to connect with it.
Therefore a question: what is a possibility for such movement? What does it require?

Tapakah
Wizard

Post by Tapakah » 19 Sep 2010 08:29

I made some investigation:
Genesis currently cannot run on two ports. Administration is checking the possibility to develop this capability.
However we may need port 443 for HTTPS proper. A web client (not a flash client) could resolve this, but we haven't staff to create one. :(

Yanus
Adventurer

Post by Yanus » 19 Sep 2010 18:37

Hmm... Allright, so there are real problems. I'd opt for keeping this Flash client we have atm. Java is not always warmly welcomed (security limitations etc. etc).

Perhaps we could take another approach? Generally speaking, all we need is something that would transfer packets between ports 443 and 3011. That's all.

Questions: does it have to be implemented into driver, client? Perhaps it could be a standalone application?

Tapakah
Wizard

Post by Tapakah » 19 Sep 2010 20:17

As I said before, I am reluctant to listen on port 443 as driver at all, because I may need the HTTPS itself.

As of web client, the flash client is here to stay until better alternative is found.
T.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/