Racestat modifiers, 'ere we go again!

Need some help with your MUD client? Forgot your password? Get help here.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.

Should race stat modifiers be changed?

YES
58%
NO
28%
I don't care
13%

Total votes: 53

Snowrose
Rising Hero

Re: Racestat modifiers, 'ere we go again!

Post by Snowrose » 23 Sep 2013 22:57

it is true in modern games the "dump stats" of a class will serve as some alternative utility. in modern d&d they used higher of two rule if wis was higher than dex youd get some passive block from seeing the move a mile away. intelect could benifit str as it would give faster recharge and higher crit scores since a person knows strategy and pressurepoints.

conversly in a class where magy stats are useful they already get many defencive bonuses from phys stats. such as extra hp, and stuff. but making every stat useful would fix the racestat issue. and balance classes a bit.

balencing the OTHER way would be ensure every race gives 1 phys stat and 1 mental and negs 1 phys 1 mental
ie the clasic elf dex and int/-con... dwarf con and wis/neg dex ...gob str and dis/neg int & con( making them more of the zergy kind) hobbits dex and wis(hobbit sence)/ -dis and str

racial guilds of course could alter things as well as the person is spending tax for extra skills and abilities. a wild elf might be more hearty, but a noldor gets 8 skills and a pony.

Greneth

Post by Greneth » 04 May 2015 01:54

gorboth wrote:
Recoba wrote:
Creed wrote:It cannot be right that some races are only good at some things.
Personally I think that all races should function decently in all types of gameplay.

Races are, to me, mostly an RP issue..
And as such, it should be possible to play a gobbo caster and be almost as effective as an elven caster.
Or the other way around, with them being fighters.

I agree that there should be differences, but nowhere as big as now.
I think it would be a great idea to completely remove the race stat modifiers. It solves so many problems.

Reasons:
  • The problem of race imbalance disappears *poof*
  • There is still a choice of stats to be made through meditation, so no element of choice is lost in the game.
  • Genesis is a game where abilities come from guilds. So if races have special abilities, they should come through racial guilds. And their power should be on that level as well.
  • The stat modifiers don't even make sense in a multi-domain MUD. The domains in Genesis represent very varying fantasy worlds. A Dragonlance elf might be physically weaker than humans, but a Tolkien elf certainly isn't. Same issues for goblins and hobbits and dwarves of course.
  • The races still have lots of character, though appearance, speech, racial guilds etc.
  • If you want to roleplay a strong goblin or a strong elf you invest in STR, if you want to play a smart elf or a smart gnome you invest in INT. If you don't care about these things, then you don't care about race in the current system anyway.
  • Since the system no longer punishes goblin mages and elf fighters, we get more variety and more interesting roleplay.
  • Much less frustration among roleplayers at people repeatedly changing race just to respec their stats.
So let's just remove racial stat modifiers. Nothing is lost in the game, and so much is gained.
This lead me to think of a strange idea. What if, as you said, all racestat modifiers were removed from the central game itself, but were applied via race guilds? The Ogres already do it (and are an occ/race combo) as an example. This would give racial guilds something interesting to add to a players choice considerations, and could allow different domains to feature different varieties of a given race that have different strengths and weaknesses.

Hmmm ...

G.
Resurrected for the crap races!

Shanoga
Wizard

Post by Shanoga » 04 May 2015 03:19

I wasn't playing when this topic first started two years ago
I recently returned and decided I wanted to play a gnome because, uh, yeah. I guess because I'm dumb. I don't see any advantage to being a gnome. There is one racial guild which is dependent on active members, so it's pretty worthless right now. Additionally, we don't have the option to modify into kenders, half-elves, minotaurs, ogres, it any other option I may not be familiar with. I've been tempted to take the hit and change race on my next death just because I feel capped by my choice which was ultimately RP-based more than anything.

Emraht

Post by Emraht » 04 May 2015 03:36

Gnome, many guilds respect the type of choice you have made. Do not abandon it so lightly. Gnomes have the greatest intelligence of any race. If you intend to utilize that, you may find you've made a better choice than you thought.

Shanoga
Wizard

Post by Shanoga » 04 May 2015 03:44

Emraht wrote:Gnome, many guilds respect the type of choice you have made. Do not abandon it so lightly. Gnomes have the greatest intelligence of any race. If you intend to utilize that, you may find you've made a better choice than you thought.
My understanding is that int is best utilized as a caster. The only mage guy won't take gnomes. The only other option is SCoP unless I have misunderstood the website and the Sparkle library. I don't know that one (occ) guild is a great option. I wanted to do Heralds, but nope. Not gnomes.

Syrk
Rising Hero

Post by Syrk » 04 May 2015 07:56

Shanoga wrote:The only mage guy won't take gnomes.
They do not?

Shanoga
Wizard

Post by Shanoga » 04 May 2015 08:13

Syrk wrote:
They do not?
Every conversation I have had (or heard) and piece of literature I have read indicated that the guild is human-only.

Aristos
Veteran

Post by Aristos » 04 May 2015 10:12

Shanoga wrote:
Syrk wrote:
They do not?
Every conversation I have had (or heard) and piece of literature I have read indicated that the guild is human-only.
The best literary references and guides to discover if this is true or not are in a city in the far east of Middle-Earth. If you prepare yourself well to travel to said city, you might be in for nice surprises and a glorious future.

Greneth

Post by Greneth » 04 May 2015 11:45

Emraht wrote:Gnome, many guilds respect the type of choice you have made. Do not abandon it so lightly. Gnomes have the greatest intelligence of any race. If you intend to utilize that, you may find you've made a better choice than you thought.
They also, if going by the help races get lower wis, much lower str, con and dis. With raised Dex. They are a shittier version of the elf with less guild options.

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 04 May 2015 13:02

except for mercs, monks and glads in terms of occ:
gnomes (no sub-race) - Calians, Rangers, SU (errr, technically ... there was one at least), MM, SCoP, PoT (?) - 5-6
hobbits (with kenders) - Calians, Rangers, SS (kenders), SCoP - 3-4
dwarves (with minotaurs) - Calians, Rangers, KoS, AA, Neidar - 5
goblins (hobgoblins, orcs, minotaurs) - Calians, AA, B/RDA, PoT, MM - 5-6
elves (half-elves, orcs) - no real restrictions across the whole game

whine more about elves please

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/