Racestat modifiers, 'ere we go again!

Need some help with your MUD client? Forgot your password? Get help here.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.

Should race stat modifiers be changed?

YES
58%
NO
28%
I don't care
13%

Total votes: 53

Amberlee
Myth

Re: Racestat modifiers, 'ere we go again!

Post by Amberlee » 18 Jun 2013 02:47

Actually a goblin transformed into an ogre is THE best fighting race.
But yeah.. I think race should be "cosmetic" and not really have much actual combat mechanics value.
Sort of depressing knowing those tiny cowardly weak goblins(Which goblins in fact have been described as in both Tolkien and D&D lore) are MUCH better fighters then Elves(Which has been described as legendary warriors without peer, in both Tolkien and D&D lore).
Ironically atm stat wise.. Elves are THE weakest fighter race ;p
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 18 Jun 2013 06:01

amberlee wrote:Actually a goblin transformed into an ogre is THE best fighting race.
Not true, actually. Because I didn't want to incur a double-bonus for players as this rumour would seem to suggest, I flatlined all racial bonuses before the ogre bonuses get applied. Thus, all races are created equal when it comes to being an ogre. An ogre is an ogre is an ogre. The only thing different races affect for ogre stuff is their x-born title for roleplay flavor.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 18 Jun 2013 14:29

Well thats actually a relief to know :)
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

Aristos
Veteran

Post by Aristos » 18 Jun 2013 14:37

gorboth wrote:
amberlee wrote:Actually a goblin transformed into an ogre is THE best fighting race.
Not true, actually. Because I didn't want to incur a double-bonus for players as this rumour would seem to suggest, I flatlined all racial bonuses before the ogre bonuses get applied. Thus, all races are created equal when it comes to being an ogre. An ogre is an ogre is an ogre. The only thing different races affect for ogre stuff is their x-born title for roleplay flavor.

G.
Does this work the same for minotaurs?

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 18 Jun 2013 15:35

That, I do not actually know. My guess is that minotaurs are basically just the base race in a wig.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Kiara
Champion

Post by Kiara » 19 Jun 2013 02:12

Minos are just your base race but with a different race name. Like Kenders are just hobbits without the hairy feet. And of course much better in every way. But still exactly the same! As far as I know all "special" races are just your base race in disguise. Hobgoblins, kenders, minotaurs, orcs and drows... hmm... thats all of them I think.

Rincon
Great Adventurer

Post by Rincon » 19 Jun 2013 20:43

That's lovely and all, but... LETS CHANGE RACESTAT MODIFIERS SO THAT GOBLINS ARE NOT UBER WARRIORS!

Aristos: I feel you bro and that's why I started this topic again so that race stats are changed.

There have been some interesting solutions to the problem so far, but Gorboth said that this is not a major problem in the game and doesn't want to bother, which is a shame. Because this issue has been frustrating me a lot since I started playing Genesis and I would like to finally see it addressed (vamps were another issue that was annoying me to point where I almost stopped playing, but fortunately G. closed them).

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 19 Jun 2013 22:31

I'll look into the issue again. I do agree that one race should not hold all the cards with regards to advantages. However, once the magic guild recodes are complete, Elves might be pretty happy if they want to be spellcasters. With the recode, int determines the size of your mana pool, and wis determines the speed at which you regenerate that mana. (Correct me if I'm wrong here, Petros.)

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Kiara
Champion

Post by Kiara » 20 Jun 2013 02:30

I think it would be nice with three evenly matched combat races! Goblins should im my opinion be pretty strong overall in combat stats, but not fantastic in anything, hobbits are super quick and dwarves are tough and strong! And two caster races, the elves with good int and wis, and gnomes with super int and average wis. And the even humans that can be anything. Sounds good to me! Theres more fighter guilds than magic so three fighter races and two caster races seems logical.

I think if goblins became a little weaker combatwise overall, and hobbits a little better, both would probably end up at about the same overall power as the dwarves, which would make it much more balanced. It would also make more sense that dwarves are toughest, not goblins.

Elves, gnomes and humans will probably be pretty okay as they are, with the new mana and magic system elves and gnomes should get a boost like you say Gorbie!

Oh, and no race should be stopped from questing I think! Humans are the only race I think that can finish all quests?!? (But thats another discussion). Anyway, lets get back to this one!

So its decided then? We tweak goblins and hobbits a little, touch nothing else, and voila! Fixed. (or better anyway). And nooooo I am not just saying is because I am a kender. Goblins ARE too strong in combat and hobbits/kenders ARE too weak. Dwarves, goblins and hobbits are definitely not caster races RP-wise or statwise, so they should all be good fighters I think. And pretty evenly matched overall with different strengths and weaknesses. As it is now goblins have no weakness in combat, and only strengths. While dwarves have two strong and one weak stat, and hobbits/kenders have just one good stat and the others very weak. Not really fair at all!

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 20 Jun 2013 18:32

gorboth wrote:I'll look into the issue again. I do agree that one race should not hold all the cards with regards to advantages. However, once the magic guild recodes are complete, Elves might be pretty happy if they want to be spellcasters. With the recode, int determines the size of your mana pool, and wis determines the speed at which you regenerate that mana. (Correct me if I'm wrong here, Petros.)

G.

Actually elves may be the better casters.
They will still get smacked into 5 shades of purple by any goblin in a fighter guild though.
Because of the str in the damage calculation vs the complete lack of con of an elf.
Also how effective will the new magic system be vs how effective the melee system is?
Doesnt matter if elves are the best casters IF the new magic system is not competitive.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/