Client for Genesis (Mac/Win/Linux) (Insomnia adventures)

Need some help with your MUD client? Forgot your password? Get help here.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
gruff
Apprentice

Client for Genesis (Mac/Win/Linux) (Insomnia adventures)

Post by gruff » 21 Jan 2013 10:20

Hi!

I've recently returned to the wonderful world of text-based adventures, but the lack of good Mud clients for OS X have been a bit of a let down. Then I ran across Mudlet, a cross-platform open source client for OS X/Win/Linux, that provides some really great options for customizing the Mud-experience.

It offers all the normal basic stuff (obviously) like highlighting, triggers, aliases. And it supports more advanced stuff like lua scripting and even maps (more on this later).

So, the combination of insomnia and curiosity made me start tinkering with the client, and the first bits I've done with it makes me feel like this could potentially be pretty great. I added a little screenshot of what it looks like for me at the moment. While this pic may not be very pleasing to the eye (this is what it looks like without anything fancy layout wise), it seems to offer pretty great layout options through css if anyone would feel so inclined.

I'll keep using Mudlet, I've really come to like it so far (plus, no hassle with using bootcamp or crossover for running cMud).
But now, the reason for posting: I'm going to keep at this and make it good for playing a Glad/Templar, which I obviously can upload if anyone else would like to try it out (all the customizations can be exported/imported).

The thing is though... Mudlet could really be tailored to be a great client specifically designed for playing Genesis in general, not just tied down to the two guilds I happen to play. If there would be any interest in a more general customization aimed at the entire game, what should be focused on?

And, finally, the maps:
This is a pretty important thing, and mudlet does support maps, but you need to write a pretty extensive scripting tailored to the specific mud. This is far beyond my understanding at the moment (any help would obviously be very interesting), but I'm definitely going to try to take a stab at that in the near future.

You can check out some more screenshots at: http://www.mudlet.org/media/

Any feedback on the general idea would be great!
Attachments
mudletscreen1.jpg
screenshot of a not very handsome client
mudletscreen1.jpg (235.04 KiB) Viewed 13058 times

Cherek
Site Admin

Re: Client for Genesis (Mac/Win/Linux) (Insomnia adventures)

Post by Cherek » 21 Jan 2013 17:16

I have tested it in the past and liked it, and I have also suggested we make Mudlet our official client, if someone with enough knowledge can customize it for Genesis. Something you seem to have?

I think it would be great if we had a client that was fully set up with basic triggers, color highlightning and stuff, easily available on the homepage.

We do have an official client made by Sandalphon, however I am not sure if that work is progressing currently. I think we definitely should consider providing a costomized mudlet as a good option for potential new players.

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 21 Jan 2013 17:29

Seems good to use.
How user friendly/easy to use is it?
Is it free?
Or is it a fee like zMUD?
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 21 Jan 2013 17:32

Its free, looks and feels sleek and quick. Actually imho it looks much more modern than Cmud and is probably easier to understand for a new user. I do remember it having some big drawback though... I dont think it has an editor for writing long mails and suck? Maybe they have added that now? Gruff?

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 21 Jan 2013 18:04

Do any MUD clients have that though? :P
Mind, I dont use cMUD ;)
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 21 Jan 2013 18:07

I always used the editor for cMud for most mails I send or forum post I write, basically since I started playing. Well as soon as I moved on from cMud to zMud anyway. Is it not hard to play without it? Did you never write a book, a map or do a guild task or something requiring the use of an editor? I dont know, maybe most people dont use them so it isnt much of a drawback? I just assumed everyone did.:)

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 21 Jan 2013 19:37

Never did use an editor.
I pretty much just set it up correctly by habit now :P
But hey in a few years Amberlee the character will have been in existance for 20 years ;p

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 21 Jan 2013 19:40

amberlee wrote:Never did use an editor.
I pretty much just set it up correctly by habit now :P
But hey in a few years Amberlee the character will have been in existance for 20 years ;p
Heh, yeah Cherek too. Thats both impressive and kinda scary at the same time. I dont think there are many online games out there who have characters / users that old. We're the pioneers of online gaming eh?:)

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 21 Jan 2013 19:46

Or bloody old bastards ;D

gruff
Apprentice

Post by gruff » 21 Jan 2013 21:01

Cherek wrote:Its free, looks and feels sleek and quick. Actually imho it looks much more modern than Cmud and is probably easier to understand for a new user. I do remember it having some big drawback though... I dont think it has an editor for writing long mails and suck? Maybe they have added that now? Gruff?
Not sure about the editor, but I'm sure it could be customized as well if someone wanted it.

The major important thing is working maps though. The things I've set up, like keeping track of what I'm wearing and status of my special abilities, was pretty easy to set up, and I had a total of zero seconds of lua scripting experience before I started doing this.

Maps is another thing though... Compared with the stuff I've done so far, it's pretty advanced, and it will take me a while to get done. But with a working maps (and a general framework and information on how to customize other stuff) this could become more of a joined effort, but without maps I guess lots of people isn't interested in going in and customize a client.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/