Client for Genesis (Mac/Win/Linux) (Insomnia adventures)

Need some help with your MUD client? Forgot your password? Get help here.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
gruff
Apprentice

Re: Client for Genesis (Mac/Win/Linux) (Insomnia adventures)

Post by gruff » 02 Feb 2013 23:29

Alright!

We have arrived at some sort of very crude beta trial if anyone feels like trying this out.
There are stuff to do still, obviously, but if you feel like testing this out, be my guest! Installing is pretty straight forward, not exactly rocket surgery and should work for you guys too.

So, see this as a shot at trying it out and seeing if you enjoy the customization.
If you come across bugs, have ideas, or whatever, let me know!

If you have any further questions, go look for a strange hypnotic male human in Sparkle and see if he can perhaps shed some light on the subject! (otherwise, feel free to PM me here or write in the thread)

Steps in getting this to work (tested on Windows!):
1) Download the client: http://www.mudlet.org/download/
2) Install
3) Connect to genesismud.org 3011 and log in

Once that step is done, we get to the customization part:

4) Once in the game, click the script button (or trigger, or alias...), and click the Import icon.
5) This will open a file dialog, navigate to where you downloaded the .xml file (GenesisBeta.trigger, or somesuch) and open it.
6) Save your profile, and restart the client. When you connect again, the client window should have a bunch of stuff, and you should see a little button at the top called Client help! that you can click for some brief info.

I've tried to comment most of my scripts in case you want to do your own modifications to any of those.
Obviously you should go crazy and add all your own aliases, triggers and highlights!

The guys behind the client have a really helpful wiki at http://wiki.mudlet.org/w/Main_Page where you can read up on just about everything, perhaps of special interest is that they have a good couple of hints for people migrating from other clients, avaliable here: http://wiki.mudlet.org/w/Manual:Migrating
Attachments
GenesisBeta.trigger.xml
Had to edit since I added the wrong file at first... This is the one!
(154.14 KiB) Downloaded 311 times

gruff
Apprentice

Post by gruff » 02 Feb 2013 23:33

Also, a screenshot of what you should get if you download and install the thing...

Enjoy, hopefully!
Problems? Look me up in Sparkle, might be some hypnotic dude there to help you...
Attachments
BetaScreensht.jpg
BetaScreensht.jpg (159.55 KiB) Viewed 4132 times

petros
Site Admin

Post by petros » 03 Feb 2013 21:25

Stay on topic. I've deleted a couple of unrelated posts.

gruff
Apprentice

Post by gruff » 04 Feb 2013 05:10

TrialBeta release #2.

Hello again (watching the superbowl and writing some client stuff...)

First: Install instructions for Mac.
The mac version can bug in importing packages, so you can use this command instead (from the commandline in the client, once you are logged into the game and everything...)

Code: Select all

lua installPackage([[/Volumes/Drive/users/username/Downloads/GenBetaTwo.trigger.xml]])
Where you exchange Drive / Username / Downloads to wherever you downloaded the package (and use the correct .xml name!)
If this works, you should get a return with a Function:0xSomething. Restart to get everything working!

Bit of advice: You will get this package in folders under Triggers/Aliases/Etcetera. I'd recommend that whatever you add yourself, (your own aliases and whatnot) you put in folders outside of the stuff you download, to make it easier update my stuff in the future (in case you need to delete the old triggers that you download... you get the point.)

I basically looked through all the scripts that was on the forum of what people have done previously for other clients, and added most of them, so there are a couple of extra stuff in this one compared to the one above. (Also, I had forgotten about adding movement through numpad, so that is in it too.)

F e a t u r e s

Infoscreen
Consoles displaying various information of interest;
Mail, worn armour, wielded weapons, health... Etcetera.

Scriptfeatures
Speedwalking - recording and playing paths
Auctionhelper - brows through imbued items
Imbuements - Information on the effects of all imbuements

Triggers
Sailing triggers for traveling by boat
Optional stuff like looting coins, autoattacking

Highlights
All speech
Health from green (very well) to red (death's door)
Questgivers highlighted (basically just testing it in Sparkle atm)
+ Various messages
Attachments
GenesisBetaTwo.trigger.xml
Files with the above features.
(193.91 KiB) Downloaded 292 times

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 04 Feb 2013 19:49

I'm curious how many people have given this a try, and how well they are liking it?

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 04 Feb 2013 23:04

gorboth wrote:I'm curious how many people have given this a try, and how well they are liking it?

G.
Well, not many have downloaded the xml file yet it seems. I am going it now and plan to take the client for a spin.

gruff
Apprentice

Post by gruff » 05 Feb 2013 17:32

gorboth wrote:I'm curious how many people have given this a try, and how well they are liking it?

G.
I've hardly recieved any feedback myself, so I don't even know if people have even tried it. The one message I got was pretty positive, and had some ideas/questions, which was much appriciated.

I'm pretty close to having all the basic stuff in place, with maybe three or four a bit bigger things that might take a little while to get right. Obviously, I have no idea if what I'm adding is what people actually want, so feedback or requests would be awesome.

Also, I've been asking people in Sparkle about which clients they use, and most people seem to be using zMud.

Many have said that they don't really feel like learning a new platform now that they've been using zMud for many years, which is completely understandable. I was thinking I could make a basic "how do I..."-post about the basic features of Mudlet which would perhaps make it more likely to go ahead and try it out.

But just fyi: Mudlet is a superior client compared to zMud, just the fact that it is actually still being developed would be reason enough to switch imo. (And you can ask either Gruff (mohawk-haired one eyed orc) or Teldum (hypnotic strange male human) for any assistance in switching!)
Cherek wrote:Well, not many have downloaded the xml file yet it seems. I am going it now and plan to take the client for a spin.
Thoughts?

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 05 Feb 2013 19:57

Gruff: Other stuff got in the way, but I got it installed and tested it a little. My initial thoughts about it are positive.

I'd probably never switch from cMud though, and I understand that not many current players would like to. Superior or not, if you get used to one thing for a very long time, know how it works, have your own settings, etc, then why switch? Personally I could not switch as long as there is no editor since that would mean I basically cant write longer/formatted mails. So that's what "kills" Mudlet for me.

However I definitely think a completely new player would like it though. It feels more modern than cMud, and the status screen and default colors is really nice.

I'll try it a little more when I get time.

Two questions so far: How does new mail and health work in the status screen? If health is only updated when you type health it's potentially very dangerous? You think you're in fine health but youre not?

As for the mail, I sent myself a mail, status screen got updated showing I have received 1 new mail. I read my mail, and it keept saying I had received 1 new mail. Not sure how to solve it, but somehow I'd like it to show when you have new unread mail.

gruff
Apprentice

Post by gruff » 05 Feb 2013 21:33

Cherek wrote:Gruff: Other stuff got in the way, but I got it installed and tested it a little. My initial thoughts about it are positive.
Thanks a bunch for testing it out, really appriciate it!
I'd probably never switch from cMud though, and I understand that not many current players would like to. Superior or not, if you get used to one thing for a very long time, know how it works, have your own settings, etc, then why switch? Personally I could not switch as long as there is no editor since that would mean I basically cant write longer/formatted mails. So that's what "kills" Mudlet for me.
You are right, there is definetly a "why switch"-question.
Personally, I had to switch since it's the only client worth a damn for mac (unless you hassle with bootcamp or somesuch).
Adding your old settings from cmud to mudlet shouldn't be that much of a hassle, plus its a do-it-once thing.
But stuff like the editor is definetly a drawback, there are certain things that people really want, and if the competition doesn't offer it, you simply don't switch. (It does offer a notepad function, and you could manually copy/paste the lines)

Answering the "why switch" question:
I think that what could be attractive with mudlet over zmud/cmud is that it could get a lot better as more people use it, due to the ease of sharing scripts/triggers/settings. Just with the feedback from you and Makfly I've made it tons better, so there is that reason imo. It can become sort of a collaborative effort of making the game better, that doesn't rely on the sparse resource of avaliable wizards.
Plus, it is more hi-fi! You can do really cool stuff with it and make it a more exciting experience in general.
Two questions so far: How does new mail and health work in the status screen? If health is only updated when you type health it's potentially very dangerous? You think you're in fine health but youre not?

As for the mail, I sent myself a mail, status screen got updated showing I have received 1 new mail. I read my mail, and it keept saying I had received 1 new mail. Not sure how to solve it, but somehow I'd like it to show when you have new unread mail.
Health just feeds of a trigger at the moment, I've set up an autocheck for it on my client at home, but I couldn't figure out some nice way to autodisable it once you are out of combat, but it'll be there when I upload some update.

And with the mail, I'm still not getting any mails in game, so I didn't think there was any problem :p
It will now show up with an "you have unread mail!" message when you get a new one, and I'll figure out some clever way of disabling that and nulling the newmail count once you read it.

gruff
Apprentice

Post by gruff » 11 Feb 2013 23:58

Bunch of new stuff... Now zipped.
Table of contents coming.
Attachments
GenesisBetaWIP.trigger.zip
(34.08 KiB) Downloaded 216 times

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/