Client for Genesis (Mac/Win/Linux) (Insomnia adventures)

Need some help with your MUD client? Forgot your password? Get help here.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Hairetikos
Beginner

Re: Client for Genesis (Mac/Win/Linux) (Insomnia adventures)

Post by Hairetikos » 14 Feb 2013 23:54

Took me longer than I had hoped. Much time I spent on finding some kind of work flow, discovered Toolsbox/ModuleManager on the way, but I will need more time to discover the differences between Modules and Packages and how they work, work together, and how that can usefully put to use.

I strove not to break (too many) things, while trying to simplify, extend, add, and even fix some things.

I added lots of comments, a lot of TODO-notes, which are often 'to-think-abouts'.

There seem to be four separate collections of herb data, a table, a table with invalid keys in the scripts(?) and two raw text tables somewhere in the triggers. I might be of help when they are to be processed into something Lua.

If you (gruff) remember our ooc conversation in Sparkle, here is a little explanation of what I meant with 'personal', 'general', and 'Genesis':
Things like 'look at magic map' on Num-0 are what I meant with personal; recording, storing and sending a sequence of commands -- possibly inverting it first -- is what I call general, as this can be useful to anyone in any MUD; most things, especially triggers, are Genesis(-specific).

I found there were too many, too small scripts, scattered too much across too many folders. I simplified this, tried to keep things that depend on each other together. There is more potential for simplification, though I might have overdone this in a case or two. But I got too many nils called, because the order of script execution matters and it is not quite obvious whether that is tree order or something (everything seems to be numbered internally).

I have not the slowest of machines, but I think one Miniconsole is enough. Everything displayed is just strings, so I have one update_status() to dump all current data from the model to the pane.

Semicolon as command separator is not by Genesis but a Mudlet configuration. (And I wondered why my ;-) always end up as -). So ; might be no good option to be used in paths. The speedwalk() in the Mudlet libraries uses [space] as the separator, ruling out commands like 'open door' in paths.

I got wielding two weapons to work, even two of the same kind. I wasn't rich (or lucky) enough to test two-handed weapons, but it did work a few days ago. I removed the dots at the end of the current enemy and the mental health, though not the way I wanted to, using a negative char list ([^.,]+) -- to capture the name without any low dot or comma. Will test the rex library on that (it even works with Lua patterns, as it does with true Perl regexes).

I hope the result is useful (the TODO-comments at least ;-). And, as I mentioned above, I might help with the herb tables, when I learn what their destination is.
Attachments
Genesis_20130214c.xml.zip
(36.17 KiB) Downloaded 211 times

Habiki
Adept

Post by Habiki » 25 Feb 2013 04:25

After doing some light testing with the file Hairetikos uploaded, I'd say I'm getting about half the features to work correctly.

Works well:
Imbuement information
Worn Items
Kills tally
Encumbrance
unusual/peculiar/exotic highlighting
Speech highlighting
Combat status highlighting

Issues:
Instead of my two-handed sword, I'm wielding my saddlebag and silver mermaid ring!
Current opponent not working
Physicals and mentals not working

Overall, I'm impressed with your progress! I've been using Mudlet for a while now, and this is an improvement. I look forward to seeing how it progresses and what the official Genesis client will offer!

Eowul
Wizard

Post by Eowul » 25 Feb 2013 09:12

Work in progress: http://genesismud.org/pages/gmcp .. Only just een added to te live game, so can't guarantee anything, but it will allow you to test some :)
Caretaker of Arda

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 25 Feb 2013 09:36

So cool! I look forward to seeing what modders can do with this info in creating their own custom clients that they feel like continuing to share.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 25 Feb 2013 15:04

gorboth wrote:So cool! I look forward to seeing what modders can do with this info in creating their own custom clients that they feel like continuing to share.

G.
The first thing I would do is Diku-like prompt with hp/mana/fatigue in % constantly being displayed and color-coded :)
Years of playing the mud showed me that the most used commands by me are: health all, health, health enemy, exa enemy, vitals. Adding current target's hp to the prompt would be awesome too but I'm not sure it's doable...
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 25 Feb 2013 19:52

Many things are doable. However, anything that has a hope of being incorporated into an official release that Genesis would itself put forward would not want to include numbers, even as a %. Rather, we're going to feature things like "health bars" and "mana bars" that display things visually if players prefer. Numbers, from our beginnings, have been against Genesis philosophy. The lines of distinction might indeed become finer and finer, but that one we won't be crossing.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 25 Feb 2013 20:22

Well, you asked what people would do, and I'd certainly do %'s as they are easier to do in a text-only client that doesn't support graphics past ones done in ASCII. You could make bars like that: |##### . . . . .| or in some other form I guess...
I remember I once tried a MUD that had such visual aids built-in and it looked nice, although I can't recall the MUD's name.
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

Hairetikos
Beginner

Re: Client for Genesis (Mac/Win/Linux)

Post by Hairetikos » 26 Feb 2013 02:35

Sorry for the absence.

Fixed some of the bugs Habiki has found: opponent works as long as no-one flees, hp and mana is displayed.

Added fatigue trigger.

The wielding and wearing messages need a more sophisticated analysis; I "wielded" a ring today too. (Work-around: first wear things, then wield weapons; or unwield and wield the weapon).

GMCP will make things easier as it removes the need for some gags (and triggers? Will have to learn more about it :-). hp, mana (and fatigue?) messages could be displayed as bars, but I wouldn't stray from the original idea no more than that and let the machine deal with the numbers (which are ooc in a way). And there may well be more important things to do first.
Attachments
Genesis_20130225a.xml.zip
(36.34 KiB) Downloaded 194 times

Hairetikos
Beginner

Re: Client for Genesis (Mac/Win/Linux)

Post by Hairetikos » 26 Feb 2013 12:33

(delete "awful color line that can easily be misunderstood")
(set intention "humorous exaggeration to pre-emptively take some weight off a possibly serious matter")

I have just waked from a nightmare – only to realise that it is reality: My attempt at help went all wrong. I hope this explanation won't make it worse.(To be honest I took some time to think through the startling realization

I had to tend to a friend a little in the past week, and now I find too many people downloading my files.

The files I have uploaded are quite personal attempts to come to grips with Lua, Mudlet, and Genesis, all at the same time.

The files I have uploaded are no simple improvements, let alone developmental steps or even in any way official!

The filenames I have chosen – #&/@"$! – I chose them for legibility because the legibility of wordsLikeThisVeryMuchDependsOnTheFontUsed; I even changed them from 'Hairetikos_…' to 'Genesis_…' because, trying to keep things together, most of their content was gruff's work. I dropped the 'WIP' due to a weird confusion of thoughts, some of which were to keep its meaning in an 'a' for 'alpha' at the end, considering acronyms to be words, a need for some version number.

The silly things that I really added I kept in a 'subpackage' named 'Hairetikos' just to keep them separate from gruff's work so as not to increase the unmanageable mutilations I had inflicted on it.

The files I have uploaded are not even work in progress, they may be considered part of that, collections of suggestions, thoughts, ideas, tries and unfortunately perhaps some improvements that disguise the whole truth.

I am new to Lua (although not to programming), Mudlet, and Genesis; and there is only so much capacity. I am also not used to posting to forums (this may well be my second time). In an ooc conversation, gruff suggested the forum as a place to exchange my "work" with him. It may well be that he thought of PMs, not posts; I only realise that now. That conversation was unplanned and took place after midnight; some evil ghosts (or simple tiredness) will have had a negative influence on me, too.

From that conversation I left with the idea to collect and discuss some contributions to gruff's work here, but this thread seems to general for that.

I am on the brink of deleting the attachments, or at least rename them (right now I cannot even find how to edit a post, though I remember having done it, so there is hope).(add "And rightly so, as now I couldn't imagine not finding the edit button.")

Now I will go hang my... head in shame.(add "My, isn't that funny") (I would read a scroll of punishment … – but, as this morning proves, this all already is a ball chained to my mind …)(add "And I even thought of the nethack players.")

Eowul
Wizard

Post by Eowul » 18 Mar 2013 16:23

Have you guys had a chance yet to test the GMCP addition to the game in combination with this mudlet modification?
Caretaker of Arda

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/