Client for Genesis (Mac/Win/Linux) (Insomnia adventures)

Need some help with your MUD client? Forgot your password? Get help here.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Eowul
Wizard

Re: Client for Genesis (Mac/Win/Linux) (Insomnia adventures)

Post by Eowul » 25 Jan 2013 11:31

gruff wrote:Yeah, vitals really should be there, I just didn't come up with a good way of doing it in a smooth way (if you want some automation to it, just grabbing the text from when you hit v would be a no-brainer). I'll have a go at thinking about it again and see if I can come up with something.
We are currently working on something that might solve that issue. It's not at an official announcement stage yet, since a huge amount of work still needs to be done, and we might run into unforeseen issues, but if you look at Cotillion's github and mine you might get some idea of what plans we have.
Caretaker of Arda

gruff
Apprentice

Post by gruff » 25 Jan 2013 11:49

eowul wrote:
gruff wrote:Yeah, vitals really should be there, I just didn't come up with a good way of doing it in a smooth way (if you want some automation to it, just grabbing the text from when you hit v would be a no-brainer). I'll have a go at thinking about it again and see if I can come up with something.
We are currently working on something that might solve that issue. It's not at an official announcement stage yet, since a huge amount of work still needs to be done, and we might run into unforeseen issues, but if you look at Cotillion's github and mine you might get some idea of what plans we have.
Oh, GMCP would be a great addition, that would certainly make writing that type of things way easier. I'm guessing that will take a while to have it implemented, but if thats somewhere down the road, that would be fantastic.

I'll not go break my brain trying to come up with some alternative way of automating that then, and instead just throw in some echoing of the stats displayed in the main window (or something...).

Thanks for the info!

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 25 Jan 2013 15:33

For Gruff ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSmoB_ngzWQ - the black dude dance is for you ;) 0:23 and on

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 25 Jan 2013 18:30

Well Zhar does have a point about the auction house. But Gruff has a point as well... imbuement list and link to maps are the things any new player, or old player returning, usually get from the newbie line as soon as they ask where something is or what X imbuement does. And the "discover it on your own" isnt possible for a youngster since the price is way too high for a newbie. If it was 1 platinum maybe, and to be honest it could be lowered to that, or even be changed so it shows the effects right away since the discovery period for imbuements lasted the first few months. When the lists started to appear, that part of the game kind of ended. Any new player will get that list as soon as they ask the "What's this unusual object?" question on the nline anyway I think. I understand Zhar's point, and in general I agree, however regarding imbuements I dont really see a problem including them in the client.

As for vitals... hmm... would it be possible to just have the client check vitals, but hide the out text, but record the values and then just update the vitals info screen? Thats how I would attempt it in cMud anyway.

As for you not being an experienced scripter, well, I think when it comes to Mudlet scripting you are now the most experienced scripter, and I do not think of what you do as a foundation for other wizards to build on.There are just a handful of wizards around at all, so I find it pretty unlikely that someone should continue this project. Maybe other players might become interested and want to develop it more, but I dont think it will turn into a wizard project. And to be honest, I think players who actively play a mortal would do this better anyway. Unless you want to become a wizard of course!

Anyway, as I said, if it turns into something good I'd be more than happy to add it to our homepage. That's basically how far my current wizard skills go anyway.:)

gruff
Apprentice

Post by gruff » 25 Jan 2013 19:11

Cherek wrote:Well Zhar does have a point about the auction house. But Gruff has a point as well... imbuement list and link to maps are the things any new player, or old player returning, usually get from the newbie line as soon as they ask where something is or what X imbuement does. And the "discover it on your own" isnt possible for a youngster since the price is way too high for a newbie. If it was 1 platinum maybe, and to be honest it could be lowered to that, or even be changed so it shows the effects right away since the discovery period for imbuements lasted the first few months. When the lists started to appear, that part of the game kind of ended. Any new player will get that list as soon as they ask the "What's this unusual object?" question on the nline anyway I think. I understand Zhar's point, and in general I agree, however regarding imbuements I dont really see a problem including them in the client.
Well, I'll let the imbument thing stay in the first beta version anyway, so people can form an opinion about it. But like I said, if its deemed bad in some way it doesnt have to be in some official endorsed release (if we ever get that far).
I'm on your side with the imbued stuff though, it probably doesn't hold the same exploration appeal as it once did. But, with that being said, it would totally be possible to add the exact same thing for herbs, with stats and effects and where to find them, but I do think that would be going to far and actually ruining some of the game.
I mean, you could even highlight every single quest item in the game and give detailed explanations on each one, if you wanted to, but that would just be stupid. I don't think the imbuements is like that, though.
As for vitals... hmm... would it be possible to just have the client check vitals, but hide the out text, but record the values and then just update the vitals info screen? Thats how I would attempt it in cMud anyway.
Yeah, thats the way I've been trying to do it, the multiline triggering is kind of a hassle to get right atm though. I'm sure once I figure it out it will be really simple :p
As for you not being an experienced scripter, well, I think when it comes to Mudlet scripting you are now the most experienced scripter, and I do not think of what you do as a foundation for other wizards to build on.There are just a handful of wizards around at all, so I find it pretty unlikely that someone should continue this project. Maybe other players might become interested and want to develop it more, but I dont think it will turn into a wizard project. And to be honest, I think players who actively play a mortal would do this better anyway. Unless you want to become a wizard of course!
Haha, I only used the word wizard as a way of saying "i'm not very good at this", not aimed at talking about wizards on the mud. What I was getting at wasn't that this needs to be very experienced people doing advanced stuff, lots of stuff can be pretty lo-fi and still improve the game a lot.

Also, on a tip from Makfly I made a little pathrecorder (like one that is in zMud as I understood it) that can help do some pathrecording and speedwalking.

That was a great idea, so keep em coming!

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 25 Jan 2013 20:59

Oh yeah, path record is great, I thought it already had one of those. Nice work. How advanced is that stuff? Could it in theory even be possible to script an editor? With editor I mean that you can type a multiline message and then hit "send" and it sends it to the mud line by line. So nothing fancy. Just a text window and a send button.

I always used cMuds editor to write mails and notes, unless I write something really short. And if you wanna write a book, do guild tasks and so on it's probably almost impossible without being able to send text from an editor. Especially if you wanna do ascii art things, like writing stuff that looks like scrolls and the likes. I surely can't be the only one who has ever used an editor. Most people must use it sometimes? I mean how do you finish a guild task, where you have to write something, without one?

Speaking of herb and quest highlighting and stuff... well doing it for herbs I agree isnt such a good idea to have in the basic version. Herbs is such a big lore thing and it's actually kinda fun to learn about. Imbuements is similar... but the list is so common I dont think it would hurt. But maybe it should not be in the "official" version in the end. I am no longer sure what I think about that, I say like you do, leave it there for now and let us test!

But, for quests... something I think would be really cool was if we have some type of marking for quest NPCs. You know like Diablo or WoW that has a question mark, or exclaimation mark, or whatever it is. So when you enter a room with an NPC who has a quest to give out, he is in a different color and has some sign after his name, maybe a ! or a ? or a Q perhaps, or simply the word "Quest".

I think that would be something really helpful, but not something that would ruin the experience at all. Just improve it. What do you think? Question is of course also exactly how you do it... but for some NPCs you can probably use their short desc, and for most using room desc + short desc probably works as "trigger"?

petros
Site Admin

Post by petros » 26 Jan 2013 14:22

Split the imbuements discussion to the Game - Equipment forum. Let's keep this thread focused on the discussion of the Client for Genesis.

gruff
Apprentice

Post by gruff » 27 Jan 2013 12:10

The last bunch of things that needs sorting are surprisingly tricky to get done. I'll keep you updated on the progress of things, but it will be a while before things work good enough to be shared.

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 27 Jan 2013 19:45

Cherek wrote:But, for quests... something I think would be really cool was if we have some type of marking for quest NPCs. You know like Diablo or WoW that has a question mark, or exclaimation mark, or whatever it is. So when you enter a room with an NPC who has a quest to give out, he is in a different color and has some sign after his name, maybe a ! or a ? or a Q perhaps, or simply the word "Quest".

I think that would be something really helpful, but not something that would ruin the experience at all. Just improve it. What do you think? Question is of course also exactly how you do it... but for some NPCs you can probably use their short desc, and for most using room desc + short desc probably works as "trigger"?
I think that marking NPCs who give out quests for the players is a great idea and should be done from within the game too, not just the client. Perhaps automatically adding some marker to their name/description could be done via mudlib. Something like this:

Code: Select all

[Q] friendly jovial male hobbit.

[Q] Balthasar.
This would greatly improve the experience for both newbies and older players alike in my opinion.
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 27 Jan 2013 19:51

How about a status window:
Skunked off/*1/*2? ;p

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/