Client for Genesis (Mac/Win/Linux) (Insomnia adventures)

Need some help with your MUD client? Forgot your password? Get help here.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Einar
Apprentice

Re: Client for Genesis (Mac/Win/Linux) (Insomnia adventures)

Post by Einar » 21 Mar 2013 00:07

Ok, I've tried to test gmcp in Mudlet but failed miserable - I'm too unfamiliar with a program to achieve anything. I've been more successful with cMud where gmcp trigger updating my health works brilliantly. Any chance for Char.Items and Room package being implemented in near future?

Eowul
Wizard

Post by Eowul » 21 Mar 2013 09:12

Einar wrote:Ok, I've tried to test gmcp in Mudlet but failed miserable - I'm too unfamiliar with a program to achieve anything. I've been more successful with cMud where gmcp trigger updating my health works brilliantly. Any chance for Char.Items and Room package being implemented in near future?
I have a big wishlist of things I want implemented, but there are some things we are changing to finish the magic guild recodes, so thats getting our attention first. Good to hear its working fine in cMud though.
Caretaker of Arda

Hairetikos
Beginner

Post by Hairetikos » 26 Mar 2013 17:09

I only wanted to fix some bugs, but didn't stop and ...

Changed:
  • Have Lua code executed entering a line starting with ':' (was 'lua ').
  • Test triggers entering a line starting with '`' (was '`echo ').
  • "Coinloot" (automatically get coins): toggle with 'grabcoins', trigger merged with former 'Count kill' to 'You killed'.
  • "sailing" doesn't rely anymore on Mudlet command separator; the same goes for (auto)travel.
  • 'sail to' (with destination, useful on circle lines) and 'travel' (also by wagon). Could these be merged(?)
  • Merge and sort highlighting triggers into info, warning and danger.
  • Condition of equipment: Do not copy condition into our model, but just highlight result of 'eqcond' (moved 'slowsteady' there).
  • Fixed autoattack (with k to fight and set an enemy).
  • Replaced mail messages with simple highlights.
  • Help texts.
Added:
  • alias: first try at keeping lighting status. It is unrealistically easy to forget to extinguish your means of illumination.
  • alias: cc => copper coins, sc => silver coins etc.
  • alias: ordinal. (1. => first, 2. => second etc. for 1. to 12.)
  • alias: scav(enge) (to check whether to use lootmany)
  • alias: ruler (My, am I old fashioned ... :-) (Thinking of smaller set-ups, oc -- might be useful for MUDlib testing.)
  • panic and fatigue, rename: health, mana, load;
    -- merged triggers for gagging and updating the load;
  • and display all these as bars: make_bar(), ..._LEVELS tables.
  • highlight: Losing afocus, Afocus lost, Losing strength
  • "autohealth" (Check/Gag health every 4 s) activated by attacking and deactivated by killing. It is not switched off when one party flees: so it can be deactivated by checking manually.
  • display item worn around neck.
  • one Echo info button (understood comment like so)
  • replacing unnecessary alias 'donepath' with storing paths via table.save()
  • 'pathlist' to list saved paths.
  • 'walkpath' to walk a string (like '2n3(ne)(open door)(in)' or a previously saved path.
  • 'walkback' to walk a reversed path (reverses 8 directions, in/out, up/down, enter/exit).
  • 'able to last' highlight (fails if broken across lines)
  • a few Academic highlights .
  • hints on enchantments went into a table. Now enchantment info is added by temporary triggers made from that table.
  • a similar table for herbs, but trigger only on herb-related output (there are too many herbs for each to have one or more triggers(?))
  • 'statussize' to change the font-size in the status pane.
Deleted or broke:
  • Again ignored, broke, deleted guild-specific code (Berserker, Templar)for lacking knowledge about all that.
  • Deleted code to display 'messages'. I am still lacking understanding (game experience) regarding that, too; to me all I get from the mudlib is 'messages'.
  • more?
I do not get much info via GMCP and do not find much info on how to request info via GMCP. I have found some text from IRE, some hints on genesismud.org and some GMCP code for other clients, but I only managed to get some skill-groups but no char.vitals.health, for example.

The package proved playable in a few sessions: so use it, change it, ignore it.
Attachments
For_Genesis_20130326b1.xml.zip
(27.43 KiB) Downloaded 337 times

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 26 Mar 2013 23:58

Wow ... nice work! I'm looking forward to hearing how this works for people.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Eowul
Wizard

Post by Eowul » 27 Mar 2013 19:50

Hairetikos wrote:I do not get much info via GMCP and do not find much info on how to request info via GMCP. I have found some text from IRE, some hints on genesismud.org and some GMCP code for other clients, but I only managed to get some skill-groups but no char.vitals.health, for example.
eowul wrote:Work in progress: http://genesismud.org/pages/gmcp .. Only just een added to te live game, so can't guarantee anything, but it will allow you to test some :)
While we did base our system on IRE's specifications (amongst others), LPMud isn't directly compatible with their system, as such we have adjusted things. As you can see on the page I mentioned earlier, you will need to get Mudlet to subscribe to the Char package, which will start the updates for health amongst others.
Caretaker of Arda

Makfly
Champion

Post by Makfly » 28 Mar 2013 14:47

Hairetikos wrote:I only wanted to fix some bugs, but didn't stop and ...
[...]
I'm pretty sure all this is pretty awesome, but I have no idea what most of that meant, nor do I have an idea of where to start to take advantage of this.

Is there a 'Getting started' post somewhere or something that can help people get started out on using all of those (probably) awesome functionalities?
Mortimor Makfly - Gnomish Xeno-Anthropologist

Berwyn
Veteran

Post by Berwyn » 28 Mar 2013 21:26

Hairetikos how do you make this update working? Where should I put the file? Will it change any triggers added, before the update?

B.

edit:

How do you turn the scroll bar on? I couldn't find it anywhere...
Evil to him who evil thinks.

Hairetikos
Beginner

Re: Client for Genesis (Mac/Win/Linux)

Post by Hairetikos » 29 Mar 2013 02:03

My! ... I think I'll split my reply (note the rhyme! :-)
  • Update
  • Answers
  • GMCP trouble
Who codes debugs, so here is an update:
  • Trigger 'You killed' enabled.
  • Grabbing coins grabs gems as well.
  • Ported some highlighting from Rhaegar's TinyFugue rc, changing some of gruff's code to reflect some ideas I found there.
  • Added examples for a GMCP event handler and a prompt trigger (is triggered on receiving the prompt). They do nothing but show the way they could be made to do something.
  • Use a permanent "GUI" timer for walk and eqcond; as that removed the need for 'walkspeed', removed that too. The command list is processed at 4 per second (i. e. 250 ms cycle, which can be changed: Alt-E, then search for the trigger 'LISP' :-) The reason is explained in the script 'Paths' (tempTimers do not get killed by killTimer, contradicting all documentation).
  • Added 'walk', short for 'walkpath'.
  • Mended stupidly erroneous regex in walk_path -- and another one in list_paths.
  • Extended mail message trigger (was "unread", added: "new" and 'read').
Attachments
For_Genesis_in_action.png
The outside of what is inside. (Heed the pronunciation! :-)
For_Genesis_in_action.png (139.84 KiB) Viewed 6574 times
For_Genesis_20130328b2.xml.zip
(You can take it or leave it.)
(28.42 KiB) Downloaded 363 times
Last edited by Hairetikos on 29 Mar 2013 17:49, edited 1 time in total.

Hairetikos
Beginner

Re: Client for Genesis (Mac/Win/Linux)

Post by Hairetikos » 29 Mar 2013 03:00

Berwyn wrote:Hairetikos how do you make this update working? [...]
The packages I load up are not intended to work together, "update" means just 'newer' (hopefully also 'better') but not 'patch' to mend a previous one. You need to use Mudlet's packet manager to remove an old one, then load the (unzipped) new one, preferably saving the profile and restarting Mudlet in between. If you have changed the old code you must probably merge two profiles from 'mudlet-data/profiles/Genesis/current' using brain diff (i. e. two editor windows and too much time; that is the way I started with gruff's code). Sometimes a tool like Meld can help.
Berwyn wrote: [...] Where should I put the file? [...]
Where you put the file does not matter, you load it using Mudlet's package manager or import it in the coding frame you get with Alt-E. In that frame you can also save the resulting profile or answer 'yes' when Mudlet asks you whether to save the current profile on quitting.
Berwyn wrote: [...]Will it change any triggers added, before the update? [...]
Will it change triggers you added? or trigger pattern you added to triggers in the old package? Not sure. I remember that a new package gets its own tree with the filename as the root, but two versions will very likely not work alongside each other. You can try to move added triggers to the new tree before removing the old package with the package manager, but added patterns will have to be copied by hand. Then save the profile! and restart Mudlet!
Berwyn wrote: [...] How do you turn the scroll bar on? I couldn't find it anywhere...
A scroll bar? for the "main" console? I do not remember any. For the status pane? Never thought of one. Have you ever tried using the mouse scroll wheel? (You can remove the split by either scolling back again or pressing Ctrl-Enter.) The font in the status pane can be made smaller (I am still not sure whether we need the body count there) entering 'statussize 9' (or some number between 6 and 20).

Berwyn
Veteran

Post by Berwyn » 29 Mar 2013 03:14

Yes, I didn't install it properly but now it's ok: )
A scrollbar would be useful but ctrl+enter works fine for me (I don't use mouse with laptop).
Good job!

And thank you for the answer: )
Last edited by Berwyn on 29 Mar 2013 03:29, edited 3 times in total.
Evil to him who evil thinks.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/