MUD'ing with handheld/mobile devices

Need some help with your MUD client? Forgot your password? Get help here.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.

Are you using handheld mobile devices to play Gen (or any other MUD)?

1. Yes - my mobile phone.
22%
2. Yes - my tablet.
10%
3. Yes - mobile phone and tablet.
7%
4. No - it's too bothersome (software + hardware issues)
47%
5. No - don't have any suitable hardware for that.
14%

Total votes: 59

Cherek
Site Admin

Re: MUD'ing with handheld/mobile devices

Post by Cherek » 07 Feb 2013 20:41

Ogre: Well it depends on what you do of course. I wouldnt want to PVP on my iPod while watching TV I think...:) But if you walk around alone killing or questing, or stand around chatting in Sparkle, then absolutely.

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 07 Feb 2013 21:15

Cherek wrote:Ogre: Well it depends on what you do of course. I wouldnt want to PVP on my iPod while watching TV I think...:) But if you walk around alone killing or questing, or stand around chatting in Sparkle, then absolutely.
Yep.

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 07 Feb 2013 23:33

I voted no. Coding on a tiny screen blows.

That being said ... I'm happy however people can connect, so I'm all for development.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 08 Feb 2013 09:17

gorboth wrote:I voted no. Coding on a tiny screen blows.
I think you're pushing the meaning of "playing" or "MUD'ing" too far. Coding? Phew! ;p

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 09 Feb 2013 22:37

My Blowtorch suffered a crash today for some reason.
Whatever it was, it forced me to reenter all my settings, because I reinstalled the program.
I am a lazy dude, so I didn't want to do that.
It turned out, that settings to Blowtorch are xml files. So I grabbed myself xml editing stuff and just copied all my standard triggers and aliases from ZMuD to a Blowtorch settings file.
Trust me - I am not skilled or inclined in that direction, so it HAD to be easy stuff.

Just in case you wondered how bothersome setting up a client for a smartphone would be.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 10 Feb 2013 08:35

And it just works? What does? All triggers and aliases? paths? even special scripts?

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 10 Feb 2013 11:52

I don't have scripts ...
I use aliases + triggers and combinations of those & touch buttons.
I'll anonimize my xml later today and post it so you can see how easy it is to set up.
Ok - done it within 5 minutes. It's just to show that you can setup all you need with the use of your PC (keyboard and mouse) and not have to type it all on the phone/tablet.

I use trial version from Altova for editing. It's quite some large file to download, but it's free for 30 days trial and very nice on the visual side.
If you are more advanced with xml you can even use notepad++ (thanks Tive for this hint).
Attachments
Laurel's example.xml
Should be examples enough.
(5.72 KiB) Downloaded 376 times

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 10 Feb 2013 22:08

Those who downloaded the file are more than those, who claim to use such things ... any comments on them? ;)
Or are you guys just trying to check out my trigs to abuse them the Pharaxes-way? ;p

Kitriana
Champion

Post by Kitriana » 12 Feb 2013 07:49

I've been using blowtorch on my tablet (logged on a couple times from my smartphone and found the screen to be WAYYY too small)-- was super annoyed when it crashed and lost all my settings I'd painstakingly entered. (Was super time consuming for me) .. if there is a faster way to to do. Awesome. When I find some time, I will look over the stuff you posted Laurel. (thank you)

I'm still testing the medium... and I feel like it has a lot of potential in terms of the touch buttons. I just have to play around with the interface a little more. Think about it as its on creation and not just try to do what I've been doing in keypad version. I WISH there was a cmud convert client for tablets. That would be AMAZING!

Talking from there can be rather burdensome with Swype. I'm just not as efficient with Swype yet as I am with typing .. although I imagine that will improve over time.

Maybe when I have more time to focus on it .. I'll play with it more. But right now, I've just been using my tablet to login to check my mail.
If something I wrote sounds confusing ... assume you misunderstood it.

Val
Apprentice

MUD client for symbian?

Post by Val » 21 Feb 2015 18:53

How to play from Nokia E7?

For now I cannot find anything working. As far as I have checked:
- Genesis client does not work on Nokia browser nor Opera
- there is no Chrome nor Firefox version on Symbian
- I can't find the client for Symbian

Thanx for help!
Val

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/