TinyFugue MUD client (Linux/Windows/Mac)

Need some help with your MUD client? Forgot your password? Get help here.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Zhar
Wizard

TinyFugue MUD client (Linux/Windows/Mac)

Post by Zhar » 10 Mar 2015 21:20

I know there's been topic like that already but people have been asking for a Mac client recently so I thought I'll re-create it with more updated information as well as some basic scripts and documentation so everyone should be able to set it up and start using it without much hassle.

Disclaimer: You can use the provided scripts however you like and do whatever you like with them. They've been created based off of my own inventions as well as pieces of code scavenged from other people's scripts (not necessarily TF ones at that) over the years.

Download and installation

There are various ways of installing TinyFugue, some Linux distributions have it in their software repositiories but there's also an option to build it from source (sometimes preferable if you know what you're doing).

Official webpage with downloads and installation instructions is here: http://tinyfugue.sourceforge.net/

If you don't want to install from source on some *nix systems, you can simply google "tinyfugue mac" or similar and there should be 'one-click install' packages available (although last I checked they were of older version, which shouldn't really change anything for you).

Basic usage

Let's get to the gist of it. TF is fairly simple to use but requires us to do some configuration in order to have everything run smoothly. In order to do that locate the tfrc file. On *nix based systems this will be in your home directory or where you installed tf (or simply create a new one in your home directory, this will override the default). On Windows this will be in the tf installation directory.

Note: On *nix systems the file will be called '.tfrc' (with a dot) and on Windows 'tfrc' (without the dot). Regardless, you can edit it with any text editor.

Code: Select all

/set lp on
/load alias.tf

/addworld -Tlp genesis mud.genesismud.org 3011
What these do is let tf know that genesis is an "LP" MUD type (preventing errors in handling stuff received and sent to the server), provide address to connect to and loads the standard alias library which will let us declare aliases.

Optional settings:

/set visual off
/set hiliteattr r
By default tf has a horizontal line separating your input from server output. If you don't want this line (I don't, got too used to playing over plain telnet) set it to off. Hiliteattr sets how tf handles the basic hilites (r stands for reverse, B stands for bold etc.).

You can read on all of that by invoking /help in tf. It has very good documentation with lots of info.

Useful commands:

/world <name>
/dc
World command connects us to one of the defined worlds (genesis in this particular case, /world genesis), dc disconnects us from the world without quitting tf (useful if you're playing multiple muds at once since you can run them all on separate sockets in single instance of tf).

The scripts

Now, let's get to the gist of it. I'll tell you how to set up the basic scripts, tell you what they do and how to expand on them. Download the archive and extract it somewhere. You'll need to adjust 2 files:
.tfrc - mentioned earlier
general.tf - in the script folder

What you need to do is add the /load path/to/general.tf in the .tfrc and adjust the load paths in general.tf (it serves as a file to load other files) to where you keep your scripts (currently general.tf assumes that you keep the genesis_scripts folder in your home directory).

Scripts themselves aren't super fancy, they provide you with some basic colouring, automation and aliases that make your life easier. I've also provided a sample guild script (for mercenaries) that you can adjust for other guilds if you wish or just look it up to see how it can be done. There are also some helper definitions so you can easily customize things even if you have no programming knowledge.

If you want to change or add something, simply edit one of the files or add your own (don't forget to load it). Things that most people will want in the beginning, that are simples to implement are:

/hilite this will highlight entire line containing this text
/partial only this part of the line will be highlighted (/hilite and /partial work off hiliteattr we set earlier, so they will reverse the colours - white background, black letters by default)

/alias alias_name alias_body
/alias multi_command command %; command %; command
/unset alias_name - removes the alias

/def -F -t'regex pattern' trigger_name = trigger_body
/undef trigger_name - removes the trigger

/echo this text will show up on your screen but not in the game

; this is a comment
; lines starting with ";" are ignored
; below are some helper definitions in the scripts that you can use
/YELLOW this text will be yellow
/GREEN this text will be green
/RED this text will be red
/CYAN this text will be cyan
/MAGENTA this text will be magenta
/BLUE this text will be blue
/WHITE this text will be bright white (as opposed to the dim white of standard tf font)
Fun fact: For the first 2 years of using TF I was only ever using /alias, /hilite, /partial and /def -F -t'*sometext*' and I was happy with that (how foolish of me).

Ok, on to the scripts. You should really go through the files and look up all the aliases and maybe change them because they're my own and not something people would consider standard in some cases (like 'hh' being 'search here for herbs' while 'h' being 'health all' - can get you in trouble).

Automation

The scripts automate some of the tedious tasks. There are plenty of switches for them so that you can control it. All switches work as an on/off button (it will tell you which option you've switched to) and don't take any arguments unless stated otherwise:

; combat
/atk - repeat the kill command
/assisting - automatic assist
/coins - get coins from corpse
/gems - get gems from corpse
; note: they only trigger after YOU killed something, so no worries about stealing loot, assisting also only works when the team leader is attacking/attacked
; note2: the team triggers might be outdated a bit, if you don't see any messages when joining/leaving the team you can set them by invoking '/team' and/or '/leader Name'
;           you can also update them if you wish by simply editing the trigger patterns

; utility
/light - automatically fill lamps with oil when they run out etc.
/pack - automatically pack loot (don't worry, it won't pack worn/wielded items)

; other
/boarding - automatically board/disembark ships
/herbing - pack herbs in pouch and search again (in the same room, doesn't move you, doesn't continue searching if you don't find anything)
/hfind <herb name> - sets what herb you'll be looking for
/hcontainer <container> - where to pack herbs
There are some other useful tricks you get by default, like the 'k' alias, which stands for kill <target>. What it does it remembers your last victim so if you did 'k guard' for example and moved to the next room where there's also a guard you can simply type 'k' and it will execute 'kill guard'. Other nifty things include telling you the name of the herb you've found (only for when you find them, not when you examine them etc.) and imbuement effects upon examination (since I could never remember them and looking it up in the file all the time got annoying).

Other things to remember

up arrow - that brings back your last typed input, invoking it repeatedly will cycle through input history

/repeat -x y command - repeats command y times every x seconds ('/repeat -60 10 vitals' will check your vitals every minute for 10 minutes)
/for i do x command - invokes command x+1 times (eg. '/for i do 16 ne' will be equivalent to typing 'ne' and pressing return 17 times)
/recall - well, just do '/help recall', it's an amazing thing that helps you fetch stuff from session history
/log filename - start logging stuff (works with recall too)
/log off - stop logging
Cool utilities example

; definitions

/def find = /recall -t$["%H:%M:%S"] -w -mglob 0- *%{*}*

; tools

/alias vitals_forever \
    /send vitals %;\
    /repeat -00:05:00 1 %vitals_command

/alias viton \
    /set vitals_command vitals_forever %;\
    vitals_forever

/alias vitoff /unset vitals_command
With '/find platinum' for example it will print out all the lines of text with platinum in it you encountered during your session (good when you missed something).
'viton' and 'vitoff' simply set/unset an endless loop of vitals checking every 5 minutes.

I'll add more stuff if I recall something important. If you have any questions or problems feel free to ask.
Attachments
genesis_scripts.zip
Basic TinyFugue scripts for Genesis
(16.79 KiB) Downloaded 283 times
Last edited by Zhar on 11 Mar 2015 03:01, edited 5 times in total.
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

Ives
Beginner

Re: TinyFugue MUD client (Linux/Windows/Mac)

Post by Ives » 10 Mar 2015 21:54

Thank you so much for sharing such clear and understandable information, and for sharing your files!

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 10 Mar 2015 22:38

No worries. If you run into any trouble just post in this thread and I'll try and help out. If I'm not available there are other people who use tf. And if all else fails then someone who has even rudimentary programming knowledge and/or was writing scripts for other clients should be able to help.

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 11 Mar 2015 01:22

Nice work, Zhar. :-)

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 11 Mar 2015 02:11

gorboth wrote:Nice work, Zhar. :-)

G.
And here I was, seeing that you replied to this thread, fearful of you scowling me by revealing the herb names and imbuement effects ;)

Figured it was pretty much public information by now so why the hell not.

P. S.
Just remembered one other funny alias I put in there: 'auc'

auc 5 10
The above command will automatically set minimum 5 and maximum 10 for your auction (anonymous, 72hrs). I couldn't stand answering those questions all the time...

P. P. S.

Updated the scripts just a tiny bit to make them more consistent.

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 14 Mar 2015 02:38

For those interested, I've found some nice scripts (they're for Aardwolf but parts of it could be salvaged for Genesis): http://mikeride.chaosnet.org/abelinc/scripts/

There is some cool stuff in there, like command line Twitter client for TF (so you can tweet while you slay), or saving GMCP data in the SQL database etc.

I shall explore this new possibilities at some point...

Aristos
Veteran

Post by Aristos » 22 Apr 2015 00:56

Zhar, there was an option to limit the visual mode to one line but I forgot it. Can you remind me of it?

So far I'm at the level of usage from your first two years (aliases, triggers, and colours). Maybe someday I'll get to the pro stuff.

One more thing, I asked Dru but he doesn't remember. There's a way to make a hook so that whatever you last typed in is called back into the buffer without the newline so that you can, for example, type "north" and just keep the enter button pressed to go north numerous times instead of having to tap the "up" key to get it from the history. Do you know by any chance?

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 22 Apr 2015 02:28

Aristos wrote:Zhar, there was an option to limit the visual mode to one line but I forgot it. Can you remind me of it?

So far I'm at the level of usage from your first two years (aliases, triggers, and colours). Maybe someday I'll get to the pro stuff.

One more thing, I asked Dru but he doesn't remember. There's a way to make a hook so that whatever you last typed in is called back into the buffer without the newline so that you can, for example, type "north" and just keep the enter button pressed to go north numerous times instead of having to tap the "up" key to get it from the history. Do you know by any chance?
Visual mode:

/isize n - where n is the number of lines in visual mode (default 3)
As for remembering input, I haven't personally met with this. Maybe you can find some help in here:
http://www.oocities.org/goldmooneachna/ ... 1_0a1.html

Aristos
Veteran

Post by Aristos » 22 Apr 2015 09:05

Thanks!

If I find out how to do the hook, I'll post it here.

Aristos
Veteran

Post by Aristos » 24 Apr 2015 00:55

Ok, question:

Is there a command to paste a .txt file from a local dir into the mud?

/help paste
/help quote

Weren't of much help here.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/