One Per Arma/Extremely Slow Item Respawns

Need some help with your MUD client? Forgot your password? Get help here.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Cerin
Wanderer

One Per Arma/Extremely Slow Item Respawns

Post by Cerin » 22 May 2017 16:49

After seeing the post about Jadestone I thought I'd add this because there are quite a few more. That have all become annoying.

Tarshir - Solace - Tarshirs Glasses: I rarely even see this item anymore, even after arma. And not because it requires a generally high awareness but because players run to it just so they can wear it as a cosmetic item.

Edoral - Calia - Edoral Sword and Serpentine Ring: One comes before the other much like Jadestone. If someone has found the parchment and charcoal from what I remember its almost impossible to find them again. Been a while since ive done this one so it might of been changed.

Shire Mayor - Shire - Pie Quest: The spoon there has an extremely high respawn time for such a relatively easy quest. Whats more annoying is if you dont know the trick its a death trap which a lot die to because they dont understand awareness mechanics.

Dougan - Flotsam - Shell Quest: Ive attempted this one a few times and while the octopus has a normal respawn time the shell wirhin the chest does not.

Child - Pelargir - Grub Quest: This is a hidden quest that I believe is not even listed on the orbs. It is the one that only very small players like beginners can do before he wont give you the quest anymore. He can also be killed so not only do you have to make it to him before you've even really explored the game but getting the quest itself can be a task.

Thera - Gont - Seashell Quest: This is one of the quests newbies normally get sent to. In this one you're to scour the beach for a seashell. Respawn times are fine, maybe could be a bit quicker for a newbie quest. But the problem lies in the RNG, there are multiple trash items and you've got to get ljcky with RNG for the Blue Seashell. Ive heard of some players attempting this three times before they finally obtained it and this also prevents further quests from completion as its a chain quest.

Herder Boy - Thwil - With lots of newbies being coerced to the Mages, Rangers etc. They try a simple quest like this and cannot complete it because their cloaks which cover descriptions somehow bug the quest. This one for instance even after getting the sheep to where they need to go you will recieve nothing. This has been confimed for Ranger and MM robes, unsure about any other concealment cloaks.

Beggar - Kabal - Beggars Quest: Another that has a level requirement for small players but there is no one directing them to him. So if they grow beyond the level and never hear of this guy they miss out.

Ghost - Terel - Sandal Quest: I see this sandal sit for entire weeks and other times dont see it for 2 armas and everyone is complaining they cant find it. Ive never had a problem with this one personally but it seems to be an annoying one.

Joe - Terel - Queen Bug Quest: Ive heard a lot of people say they cannot find her anymore and even I myself checked once or twice and she hasnt been anywhere in that lair. Not sure if something was changed in the quest or the NPC isnt loading after death or loading period.

Female Orc - Sparkle - Orc Figurine: Other then what seems to be a slow respawn time for the newbie town what makes this quest annoying is the darkness of that cave. Im assuming it never felt the darkness update love because unlike normal darkness it acts like the old system of darkness levels. This requiring a newbie to buy lots of torches or lamps just to illuminate the place. What makes it a bit worse and something that should be implemented... is there is no equipment shop in Sparkle which provides items in general or quests. Things like backpacks, light source, purses (Since evwryone feels like robbing newbies lately), knives for cutting, etc.
Last edited by Cerin on 22 May 2017 18:06, edited 1 time in total.

Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Re: One Per Arma/Extremely Slow Item Respawns

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 22 May 2017 17:46

Nice list
http://genesisquests.pbworks.com/
Join up and help each other with Quests :)

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 22 May 2017 20:16

I looked into the Ribos Accuse quest today, and indeed it was problematic. It was created back when there was an Armageddon every few hours, so players could just wait for Army to do the quest without too much hassle.

I think I've fixed it, but players should let me know if it seems to still be broken.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 22 May 2017 20:41

Cerin wrote:
Thera - Gont - Seashell Quest: This is one of the quests newbies normally get sent to. In this one you're to scour the beach for a seashell. Respawn times are fine, maybe could be a bit quicker for a newbie quest. But the problem lies in the RNG, there are multiple trash items and you've got to get ljcky with RNG for the Blue Seashell. Ive heard of some players attempting this three times before they finally obtained it and this also prevents further quests from completion as its a chain quest.
Its more a quality of life thing but her gather clams task is rather annoying too. The search time is long, it could be reduced significantly, since you are doing a menial task. Plus when I last did find rates were so low it it took several repeated trips searching up and down the beach to get them.

Plus It would be nice in general if her tide dependant quests told you if u r trying at the wrong tide state, and if so how long roughly you would have to wait.

Not as high priority as broken quests obviously, but it is a common area for new players to quest first.
http://genesisquests.pbworks.com/
Join up and help each other with Quests :)

Ody
Hero

Post by Ody » 23 May 2017 03:23

The stupid tide in Gont should just be done away with. Newbies complain constantly on ntell about being sent to quest in Gont and getting stuck with the tide. And sometimes you can return later and the tide doesn't even change.

Cerin
Wanderer

Post by Cerin » 23 May 2017 04:44

I think the bigger point to be made rather then syntax or coding issues is this. Without that quest doc could you imagine what the average player size would be? Or if we would of even retained new players? I think it would be interesting to see the average level of new characters in the past 6 months with 20-30+ days on them to get an idea of what levels things start to stall out. Id wager around GA-Expert and their brute either brutal or higher.

That doc is full of mistakes now too mind you. And while I get that it is now ok to share and post it, i still think fundamentally the brute system is something that should have a high priority for a rework. There has got to be a better system we can come up with as to not force people to do something so frustrating at times or that ruins their experience. While at the same time coming up with a reward system for those who have OCD with completing things or those who do enjoy them.

A simple fix might even be to cap brute lower. This would allow players to still grow at a slower yet decent rate if they really did not want to quest. While still rewarding the people who go out of their way to obtain that lower brute. Now obviously by doing so would increase the stat gain on the soft cap enormously but if you were to reintroudce the current brute cap on the stats themselves once they hit supreme you wouldnt get inflated values on them or take away from those who have hit myth and that brute cap.

Ckrik
Wizard

Post by Ckrik » 23 May 2017 05:26

Cerin wrote:After seeing the post about Jadestone I thought I'd add this because there are quite a few more. That have all become annoying.

Herder Boy - Thwil - With lots of newbies being coerced to the Mages, Rangers etc. They try a simple quest like this and cannot complete it because their cloaks which cover descriptions somehow bug the quest. This one for instance even after getting the sheep to where they need to go you will recieve nothing. This has been confimed for Ranger and MM robes, unsure about any other concealment cloaks.
Thank you for reporting this. I find it odd that the cloak would break the quest, but I'll take a look.

Drazson
Titan

Post by Drazson » 23 May 2017 05:46

Oh yes I confirm about the one in Twhil, not sure if it had issues with both quests there but sure with the sheep. I removed the cloak entirely, went south and north (or something) and the boy suddenly realized I had helped him. :P

Ckrik
Wizard

Post by Ckrik » 23 May 2017 05:50

Tarax the Terrible wrote:
Cerin wrote:
Its more a quality of life thing but her gather clams task is rather annoying too. The search time is long, it could be reduced significantly, since you are doing a menial task. Plus when I last did find rates were so low it it took several repeated trips searching up and down the beach to get them.

Plus It would be nice in general if her tide dependant quests told you if u r trying at the wrong tide state, and if so how long roughly you would have to wait.

Not as high priority as broken quests obviously, but it is a common area for new players to quest first.
The tidal action was meant to reward players who noticed the details and get players accustomed to turning over everything to solve quests. If you've done the quest a couple times I can see how it's frustrating.

The beach room descriptions change with the tide and it's Earthsea's version of day vs. night in Gondor. There are some things and quests in Gondor that can only be done at night. There were plans to do more things with the tides years ago, but I just never got around to finishing the code. It'll tie in nicely one I get around to finishing some stuff.

Earthsea was historically positioned as a newbie friendly domain, so most of our quests are a tad on the menial side since we purposely held back on the adrenalin pumping dangers.

Given the feedback, I'll shorten the time digging for clams a bit.

Ckrik
Wizard

Post by Ckrik » 23 May 2017 06:17

Drazson wrote:Oh yes I confirm about the one in Twhil, not sure if it had issues with both quests there but sure with the sheep. I removed the cloak entirely, went south and north (or something) and the boy suddenly realized I had helped him. :P
Ok, I just took a look and it seems it was done on purpose. The boy is not very bright and can't see through disguises ;) I suppose I could make him a bit more discerning :lol:

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/