Becoming "blind"

Need some help with your MUD client? Forgot your password? Get help here.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Drazson
Titan

Becoming "blind"

Post by Drazson » 26 May 2017 06:33

It must be a bug:

1) I'm in darkness, probably for an amount of time.
2) I am not cheating darkness somehow so I light a lamp (has happened with 2 different sets of race/racial/occ/laycraft so guild wouldn't matter).
3) I exit the dark place, in light now.
4) I extinguish the lamp OR sometimes don't (both variations have happened with equal results of the below I believe).
5) I put the lamp in my pack or in racks. Boom! Step 6.
6) Suddenly, I emit darkness! I'm "blinding" myself since it follows me.
7) Enough light sourcing gets me to see again, sometimes resetting the self-darkness issue, sometimes not.
8) Darkvision has worked to bypass this as well though not resetting my self-emissions.

• The darkness is not "personal". It seems to affect mobs but probably not player characters.
• It's not a darkness item doing this while using 2 different lamps on 2 different characters and that item being a lamp. Of course, I tried to do tests on the lamp or ANY other items I carried but nothing showed darkness item effects. Also, when putting a list of things in pack in an alias everything went "Too dark to see" after putting the lamp in the pack and working up till then (while lamp was extinguished, that time) so it's just a bug on light/darkness levels probably.
• Bugreported this on client but it seems to have gotten even worse (getting this more often, feels so at least) so I thought I'd post here as well.

Melarec
Rising Hero

Re: Becoming "blind"

Post by Melarec » 26 May 2017 06:53

This was mentioned on the Discord a few days ago as well..
Everyone was pretty stumped and the general consensus was that torches were better.

But it's definitely an issue that needs to be looked into.

Arman
Wizard

Post by Arman » 26 May 2017 09:14

What are the constants for this bug? What lamp do you use? What backpack?

Drazson
Titan

Post by Drazson » 26 May 2017 09:19

Soft leather backpack (from green oaks I believe?) and an iron oil-lamp (not sure where from but I think they are the same pretty much anyway?)

I don't know what you mean by constants for the bug if not the above.

Edit: I don't know how stuff is coded but my guess would be that I get the (-lamp lighting) one or 2 times more than I should, when putting the lamp away. Maybe the pack interaction contributes to an additional extinguishing modifier or something despite lamp being already unlit and of course being unable to provide negative values for being "very unlit". Anyway let me know if you want any more info.

Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 26 May 2017 09:54

It is probably something unique about the room and how the darkness is applied.
It happened me in the underwater grotto at the Torque quest, when I forgot a lamp and then used the newbie pin to teleport home. Forgot to leave a bug report *blush*

Would be funny if you weren't "blind" but it created darkness around you.
And you did it 50 times.
And then went round pkilling people.

Well funny right up to the point where u got deleted.
http://genesisquests.pbworks.com/
Join up and help each other with Quests :)

Drazson
Titan

Post by Drazson » 29 May 2017 11:18

Seriously, this is rage-quit inducing and happens about as many times as there are meals per day. And I'm a halfling. Any news?

Cerin
Wanderer

Post by Cerin » 29 May 2017 17:07

Drazson wrote:Seriously, this is rage-quit inducing and happens about as many times as there are meals per day. And I'm a halfling. Any news?
Im not saying the problem shouldnt be fixed, but why not just quit using a lanp? Torches are lighter and the excellent ones from Sybarus last a long time.

Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 29 May 2017 23:08

When it happens and u break the darkness if you <appraise light> does it say your emitting darkness?
http://genesisquests.pbworks.com/
Join up and help each other with Quests :)

nils
Titan

Post by nils » 26 Jul 2017 00:56

Bumping this one. Happens to me constantly now. Extremely annoying. Suddenly I emit darkness after turning on and off lamps all day.

Earlier it was enough to fill a lamp, light it and then extinguish it for the bug to go away.
Today thought, I've found that I have to light the lamp, put it in my backpack, close the backpack and drop it to get rid of me emitting darkness.
Nil Mortifi Sine Lucre

mallor
Rising Hero

Post by mallor » 26 Jul 2017 19:13

Happens to me also, not sure what I'm doing, but it ALWAYS happens when I run around with SoDs in pack and at the end of the day I drop equip in racks, and BAM, all of the sudden I emit darkness, until I quit.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/