The Basic Package for Beginner Mudlet Users

Need some help with your MUD client? Forgot your password? Get help here.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Okotok
Wanderer

Re: The Basic Package for Beginner Mudlet Users

Post by Okotok » 10 Aug 2018 06:56

Hi there,

I am very new to Genesis and have next to no knowledge of what MUDs are. However, the discussion about this "Mudlet" is very fascinating, and I'd like to know more. Can someone tell me why and how I should use/download the mudlet? What's the difference between this and playing Genesis online?

Zugzug
Veteran

Post by Zugzug » 12 Aug 2018 20:04

(I tried editing my last post, but I think time expired, so re-posting)

Welcome, Okotok!

For most people, the webclient is really "enough" - as the wizards have done a tremendous job to put that together. However, if you want customized solution that you can tailor to your own needs and wants, then you have to look beyond the webclient. As far as I am aware, there are 3 different clients people use today - (from old to new) - zMud, CMUD and Mudlet.

Of these, zMud is the oldest, and does not support gmcp (those health bars, mana bars, chat box stuff, etc) - I think mostly people who have used it in the 90's and early 2000s still use it.

CMUD is a windows-only paid client that was the successor of zMud (I think same developer made it) and it was truly a breakthrough when it was first released - it is easy to make custom scripts, triggers, etc. However, if you don't already have a plethora of scripts/triggers/packages for CMUD, I cannot recommend you to choose it for several reasons: 1) it is old and is no longer updated. Eventually something *will* break and since the code is proprietary, there is nothing (legal) that anyone will be able to do. 2) It is windows-only - so if at some point you decide that you want to get a mac or a linux pc - you will be out of luck. 3) it is paid software, and because you will not get any official support or future patches, you are just paying people for past efforts, nothing for future compatibility, etc.

Mudlet is a free, open-source and cross-platform client that is constantly being updated and developed. Even if current devs decide they are tired of it - all the code is free for anyone to use and update, so you are (basically) guaranteed to have a working client in the future. It isn't as easy to make your own scripts/triggers/etc in Mudlet as CMUD, because Mudlet uses lua, but with a bit of practice you can make anything you want to.

Mudlet features that I find extremely handy - being able to write a log of your game sessions, so you can always go back and see what happened when, etc. Being able to search through the last ~30 minutes of gameplay with the handy search box. Having animated timers (sliding bars) that show me how much time passed since I last used a herb, for example, or cast some spell. You can also synchronize different PCs (work/home or something like that) via Dropbox, so you always have your same triggers, counters, stats, etc. I recommend that you give it a try, and see if you like it - it's free, after all.

https://www.mudlet.org/download/

cotillion
Site Admin

Post by cotillion » 23 Feb 2019 11:27

Is it possible to make one version of this which supports multiple resolutions?

Zugzug
Veteran

Post by Zugzug » 14 Mar 2019 16:33

cotillion wrote:Is it possible to make one version of this which supports multiple resolutions?
Yes, it's possible (at least a few pre-set ones).

Also, one guy has been working on this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWbugxsCmNA (dynamic resizing of containers)

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/