Wizard access and activity

Need some help with your MUD client? Forgot your password? Get help here.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Zhar
Wizard

Re: Wizard access and activity

Post by Zhar » 18 Dec 2020 04:53

To address some of the points made by Drazson (I'm one of the inactive wizards, I pop in once in a while to update some guild etc. and then go back into hiatus):

- there is a lot of work for the wizards and because there are so few of them they need to prioritize, re-balancing the races most likely is on the agenda but is probably not top priority at the moment. I am totally for this re-balancing but I also know how hard it is to get back to your project once you started something else, so I assume that whoever will be doing that wants to finish stuff that they're currently working on first (and those things take time)
- as far as hiring a new workforce goes there are several problems. If you just announce it outside you might even get some competent programmers but they won't know anything about the game. If you recruit from the playerbase you might end up with people who don't know how to code (they need to be taught and supervised, further detracting from the time of others - I don't mean that in a bad way, it's just an observation) but know the game. Knowing the game and having played it for some time unfortunately might also bring negatives with it, as those people might carry some baggage from their mortal days as well as have specific bias towards different things

So, with all this in mind I urge you to keep posting suggestions but please be mindful that wizards are doing it for free on their own time. If the problem is acknowledged it will most likely be addressed. Racial imbalance has been present in the game for 30 years, it won't break the game if it'll be there for a bit longer. Instead of all those aggressive threads demanding wizards do stuff I'd suggest to instead create a thread where you can gather different ideas for how this particular problem could be addressed, maybe have a vote between the players etc.

Right now the original thread for this has been split into multiple other threads and I don't really find all of this constructive, rather the opposite.

Just my 2cc.
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

Drazson
Titan

Post by Drazson » 18 Dec 2020 21:40

Zhar wrote:
18 Dec 2020 04:53
- as far as hiring a new workforce goes there are several problems. If you just announce it outside you might even get some competent programmers but they won't know anything about the game. If you recruit from the playerbase you might end up with people who don't know how to code (they need to be taught and supervised, further detracting from the time of others - I don't mean that in a bad way, it's just an observation) but know the game. Knowing the game and having played it for some time unfortunately might also bring negatives with it, as those people might carry some baggage from their mortal days as well as have specific bias towards different things
I tried to imagine it a bit and indeed, not knowing anything about the game is not a huge motivator I guess, it was a thought that came from other MUDs publically asking for "builders" as they usually call them, maybe they are much less developed at that stage or just have no other options due to being like 1-2 people... Has it ever happened in Genesis though, having a non-Gen person Wizit?

The playerbase has had ups and downs, but we know our numbers more or less. If we expect our Wizards to be "drafted" from the playerbase as is done currently then statistics so far have shown that it's a rough time for Wizards so maybe something there needs to be tinkered. It's been asked whether Gen can be open sourced, and a sloppy idea like "share the gist of it, keep the numbers hidden", and they are out of the question which is what it is.

I was finally wondering about whether *some*, and those are huge ass asterisks, things you need to do can be outsourced to the community or teams created from the community (I am not at ease to say "Wizards" exactly). An excellent project comes to mind that Perrigrine took up (I hope I did not butcher the name) which could surely be assisted big time by particular people who would be inspired to try their creativeness. The same goes with writing non mechanically bound locations (no secrets or anything), at least for Wizards that are more keen on coding rather than writing stuff. They could talk about it a bit, adopt 1-2 players and develop a cohesive concept with texts for a group of rooms (not one room at a time, that would be hilarious though :D)

Hell, give us a couple of old/deprecated examples of what constitutes a guildhall and set out a concept and that could be done as well (not that we need more guilds, heh)

** I know. I know what I'm saying is yet another effort that would have to be talked through, get checked by wizards yada yada. I am just trying to come up with shit for what I see as an ailing situation.

Zhar wrote:
- there is a lot of work for the wizards and because there are so few of them they need to prioritize, re-balancing the races most likely is on the agenda but is probably not top priority at the moment. I am totally for this re-balancing but I also know how hard it is to get back to your project once you started something else, so I assume that whoever will be doing that wants to finish stuff that they're currently working on first (and those things take time)
That makes sense. From my point of view, a problem that's been around since the Genesis (woo) is weird to prioritize, yet I believe it has in turn blocked the magic system rework/fix (and I guess that can happen to guild reworks or whatever) so it get's towards a kind of a ping pong, and I will explain further in what sense I have a problem with that, since a "well, we will be the ones to do both eventually so what's your deal?" is a kind of fair reply.
Zhar wrote:
So, with all this in mind I urge you to keep posting suggestions but please be mindful that wizards are doing it for free on their own time. If the problem is acknowledged it will most likely be addressed. Racial imbalance has been present in the game for 30 years, it won't break the game if it'll be there for a bit longer. Instead of all those aggressive threads demanding wizards do stuff I'd suggest to instead create a thread where you can gather different ideas for how this particular problem could be addressed, maybe have a vote between the players etc.
Now this part I believe neglects to see something. Myself and many many others have made a metric shitton of posts with suggestions and inquiries over the years. Off the top of my head, make smiths great again, alphabetization of that darn book in gardeners "and by the way ... gardens please?", rework rangers, remove monk lay (it's already dead poor thing), rework them by the way and wtf against undead, make discipline useful (not again), the entire game is soloable, amenities for supermyths, another make smiths great again, dual wielding, shields skill, who list and remember changes, now magic system rework/fix which is paused by the racial rebalance which is not top priority as you say.

Personally, I have written my extensive walls of thoughts to both Gorboth (mostly on achievement-based progression in tandem with experience) and Cherek (mostly about the state of pve and its impact on the overall gameplay) as well, others have as guild leaders talked and talked about their guilds and how they might make sense to be (re)worked towards, we are all getting creative and excited.

Most of such suggestions and conversation which you welcome as threads eventually die out with a result of, at best, being a "great idea" that will never be a thing. And I am saying all of that not to conclude with "hey guys go back to making things for me" but to make sure you get that it's so involved and painful for us too a lot of the time, and keeping up the suggestions in threads as you say is kind of a harsh bleeding process.

Skythus
Adventurer

Post by Skythus » 19 Dec 2020 23:39

I'm personally of the mind to do rather than ask. Giving up mortal life to add a feature is a tough choice, but I understand why it's hard to be a wiz... I don't think there's a good solution to adding features/wizards without changing the endgame of Genesis. Perhaps you get to make your own "castle", a special grinder and the winner gets their own login/droproom. Something to end the grind and wean players onto wizzing.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/