Wizard access and activity

Need some help with your MUD client? Forgot your password? Get help here.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Drazson
Titan

Wizard access and activity

Post by Drazson » 14 Dec 2020 11:23

It's curious to me that even wizards don't have access to some kind of co-designing internal thing and instead have to pitch in with the rest of us. I understand it's a closed process but at least invite the members of the club people.

Edit: Removed pre-coffee whining.

Cherek
Site Admin

Racial Rebalancing News?

Post by Cherek » 15 Dec 2020 07:23

Drazson wrote:
14 Dec 2020 11:23
It's curious to me that even wizards don't have access to some kind of co-designing internal thing and instead have to pitch in with the rest of us. I understand it's a closed process but at least invite the members of the club people.

Edit: Removed pre-coffee whining.
We have a wizard-only section on the forum if wizards want to share their ideas and feedback on things. We also discuss things in-game. But all wizards are of course also free to reply to things out in the open, and present their ideas there, if they so wish.

It should also be noted that several users that have wizard status on the forums are no longer active wizards in the game. Some of them, like Zhar, are retired wizards, that do not really log in much, and don't actively take part in the wizard world anymore. Retired wizards still have limited access to their wizard character and can log in and chat with other wizards, but they can't really access much else. I realize it's easy for mortals to believe (understandbly so) that anyone with wizard status on the forums also has full access to the wizard world, but that isn't always the case. A retired wizard usually don't have any more insight than a normal player, so they just have to pitch in with the rest of you... :)

Drazson
Titan

Re: Racial Rebalancing News?

Post by Drazson » 15 Dec 2020 13:34

Cherek wrote:
15 Dec 2020 07:23
I realize it's easy for mortals to believe (understandbly so) that anyone with wizard status on the forums also has full access to the wizard world, but that isn't always the case.
Maybe in the first year or so, I did believe that was the case. However, I soon saw Genesis to probably be the most change-resistant thing I've seen in my life (and I've seen rocks and shit, you know, it's impressive).

I started to wonder why, and my assumptions are that utter indecision and rigidness are due to

* extremely serious codebase issues - ones that would warrant a Genesis 2 in a new framework possibly - we can go raid https://discord.gg/x6YywQDx together for answers if you guys want - if that's the case I absolutely pledge my 8 hours a day (I need to work and sleep so just those 8) for researching this together if you want - no strings attached
* a sort of legal commitment or, put in a funnier way, some blood ritual that Lars somehow forces every wizard to undertake in order to bind them to his views on how the game should always be in some areas - if there isn't an nda on even disclosing it please do share, at the very least it would be hilarious
* missing the workforce (the last bastion of defence - Wiz it yourself) despite having some absolutely awesome wizards around that come and go and the uber contradictive fact that there are no posts saying Genesis needs Wizards all around the /r/MUD subreddit, facebook, the website, everywhere
* only a handful of people, extremely set in their ways and utterly irreplaceable/irremovable (I magically reminded myself of Irk, hoho), having the priviledge of impacting actual decisions and declining other wizards from participating in the process - I could see that maybe but is it that sad really? Maybe it's quicker to get racial rework in Gen 2 if we build it from the ground up?
* wizards (those that actually wiz it) actually do not have and generally never get access to fixing the real problems cause they have to work through other projects for at least X years before they reach that trusted stage - practically leaving the same group of people do core work - maybe just ... not take wizards if you can't have and cannot develop a process to enabling you trusting them enough for full access to solving issues and reworking stuff?

Edit: I'm quite resigned from the idea that something happens when somebody posts about something but maybe I should move this into a new post instead of replying. Oh well.

Arman
Wizard

Post by Arman » 17 Dec 2020 08:01

I remember another mortal once upon a time writing a similar post to yours Drazson... what was his name again? It will come to me...

cotillion
Site Admin

Re: Wizard access and activity

Post by cotillion » 17 Dec 2020 12:51

I split this into a separate topic.

We really don't have very many active wizards even if there are many wizards with the title around. When it comes to global stuff all wizards have access to see how these things work and can help out with changes. But they don't have the access to do the changes themselves.

Unfortunately it's a huge step from thinking about something and perhaps writing a mail or board post to actually checking how a change would work out. Its finding people who are willing to put in those hours of work which is hard.

In December 2020 we've only had 11 wizards who actually modified code.
For all of 2020 the number is 36.

Skythus
Adventurer

Post by Skythus » 17 Dec 2020 19:14

Do you think there should be a way to incentivise big players to become wizards?

sylphan
Veteran

Post by sylphan » 17 Dec 2020 23:35

Skythus wrote:
17 Dec 2020 19:14
Do you think there should be a way to incentivise big players to become wizards?
No.

Drazson
Titan

Post by Drazson » 18 Dec 2020 00:20

Arman wrote:
17 Dec 2020 08:01
I remember another mortal once upon a time writing a similar post to yours Drazson... what was his name again? It will come to me...
I can almost hear the grunting. You sound excited about both of us! Curious about that post, is it alive and kicking somewhere?

Drazson
Titan

Post by Drazson » 18 Dec 2020 01:39

cotillion wrote:
17 Dec 2020 12:51
Unfortunately it's a huge step from thinking about something and perhaps writing a mail or board post to actually checking how a change would work out. Its finding people who are willing to put in those hours of work which is hard.
This part is most understandable, yet I have explained some peculiarities I find with this in my post and I just find it hard to imagine that there is mainly a quantity problem. (regarding the numbers you mentioned)
cotillion wrote:
17 Dec 2020 12:51
I split this into a separate topic.
Thank you.

Arman
Wizard

Post by Arman » 18 Dec 2020 04:15

Drazson wrote:
18 Dec 2020 00:20
Arman wrote:
17 Dec 2020 08:01
I can almost hear the grunting. You sound excited about both of us! Curious about that post, is it alive and kicking somewhere?
Yeah... his name was Cherek. You may have heard of him.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/