Playing via terminal/telnet

Need some help with your MUD client? Forgot your password? Get help here.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Kjartan
Beginner

Playing via terminal/telnet

Post by Kjartan » 03 Feb 2021 07:06

Hello everyone!

If someone wants to play just via terminal/telnet, are there any commands one can use to enable any additional features, like ANSI colours or something? Or is what one sees after connecting already the “maximum” they can get without any “higher“ client. The web client is surprisingly nice (far better than I would have ever expected) but requires still a graphical browser (and a video adapter, etc). Without that need I could think immediately of three more situations, I could login where I currently wouldn’t be able to (some a far from standard, but some are not even that exotic, like my TV for example which struggles with the JavaScript I think, but would do just fine over telnet).

I probably like MUDs and text based Interfaxes in general, but I think one of the biggest strengths I always saw in MUDs was that they don’t need any client (which isn’t available absolutely everywhere as long as there is an Internet connection). Now while one CAN play Genesis via telnet already, I doubt anyone would want to (but maybe there is more possible and just don’t know about it). Also does Genesis support unicode somehow? Like also maybe with some command to be enabled? Because so far whenever I use Unicode accidentally, it just doesn’t end well (and lpmud in general would support it - I have seen it supported as well as colours). So I hope there is still more I might just know of yet.

Thanks

Zhar
Wizard

Re: Playing via terminal/telnet

Post by Zhar » 03 Feb 2021 17:05

Telnet was how we used to play in the olden days, no scripts, just aliases.

But, if you still want to use just the terminal but also have highlights and such here's a brief guide to the best client that runs in the terminal: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3096

The scripts I posted there are quite old but I think Anvareth took the time to update them some and post them here: https://bitbucket.org/kkarski/genesis/src/master/
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

Kjartan
Beginner

Post by Kjartan » 03 Feb 2021 18:18

I was hoping for something which doesn't require any non-standard software (as with the TV example, you often can't install any). Thanks anyway (but if anyone else knows of some "now forgotten" commands - please tell!).

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 03 Feb 2021 22:35

Well, underneath everything you just connect to Genesis via standard telnet, so you get info from the server sent line by line. There's no color data or anything like that so you can't really get any extra functionality without using some middleware (mud client) for parsing the server output and your input.

Kjartan
Beginner

Post by Kjartan » 04 Feb 2021 08:09

The server COULD (I’m afraid it doesn’t) send color ANSI codes. Some (many?) mud servers do (even saw it with lpmuds), BUT I think I haven’t seen any lpmud powered Server which would do that by itself - the feature had always to be actively enabled by the player, because the server never did so by itself to not spam players (with terminals not capable of colors) with the escape codes. So it is absolutely possible (that server can do so already, or that it could be implemented into the mudlib).

Same goes somewhat for example for the magic map (even though that seems to be just a matter of the mudlib in the first place). The magic map actually should be likely possible to implement with just a few lines (basically send it every time the room changes, except if the gmcp is enabled, because then the user won’t want it, because his client will handle it that way - or simply by an option enabled/disabled via a command, like there is usually also one to tell the server if I want To receive an echo).

Don’t get me wrong - I’m not requesting (or in anyway demanding), but it would be also a pity to miss out if things are maybe even already possible and all what would be needed is me typing in some command I don’t know (and which is just to uncommonly used to show up in the usual tutorials and FAQs)

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 04 Feb 2021 09:33

This would require a serious re-code of big parts of MUD as Genesis has never been coded with ANSI colors in mind. Even if we enabled it in the mudlib there is simply no code that uses coloring.

Kjartan
Beginner

Post by Kjartan » 04 Feb 2021 10:05

That's a pity. But at least I know now. Thanks!

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/