MUD Client for Apple

Need some help with your MUD client? Forgot your password? Get help here.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Knuffel
Wanderer

MUD Client for Apple

Post by Knuffel » 08 Mar 2010 12:26

Hi,

We are currently considering buying an iMac to replace on of our shared PC's at home, and introducing this new software platform opens up some challenges including the hunt for a decent MUD client.

We currently use CMUD on our Windows driven machines here at home, and would need to find a worthy successor for that on the iMac so that one can serve as well as a genesis portal (including a good graphical mapper)

Anyone some good suggestions ?

Thanks,
K.

petros
Site Admin

Re: MUD Client for Apple

Post by petros » 08 Mar 2010 15:46

I installed Parallels so that I can still run CMUD :D Not much out there that compares.

Windemere
Expert

Post by Windemere » 08 Mar 2010 17:12

As someone who has used macs and pcs simultaneously for years I can honestly say there is no good Mac Mud Client compared to Cmud. Atlantis is decent, but very lacking. And then there are all the consul based mud clients that others use but I just cannot stand.

Install Parallels or VMware and run windows on your mac :)

Windemere

Knuffel
Wanderer

Post by Knuffel » 08 Mar 2010 19:06

Great, Thanks !
Parallels and cMUD it will be then :-)

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 08 Mar 2010 20:05

I am dual-booting OSX and Vista and can agree that there is no good mud client for OSX. I am using a tool named "Crossover" which allows many windows program to run in OSX. Not sure how Paralells work, but with Crossover its very simple. I just double-click my zmud.exe file and run it just as well as I was using Windows. Thats it, no need for anything.

So if you dont like Paralelles, try Crossover. It just works. :)

Gub
Adventurer

Post by Gub » 09 Mar 2010 04:05

I run Mudlet on my Ubuntu machine, but I agree with everyone, CMUD is far and away the superior product. Give Mudlet a try if you ever have the chance. The only thing its really missing is the mapping functionality.

If anyone ever gets CMUD to run on Wine let me know!

Rhaegar
Legend

Post by Rhaegar » 15 May 2010 17:27

TinyFugue would be my recommendation. It hasn't got all the fancy stuff like automapper or GUI (if you're playing with GUI it's not a MUD any more imo), but it allows for some great triggers, macros and hilites with just basic or no programming knowledge and for truly amazing macros and definitions with some programming knowledge.
I fear no evil for I am fear incarnate.

petros
Site Admin

Post by petros » 01 Nov 2012 14:00

I just installed Crossover for Mac (presumably works for Linux too) and it works like a beauty for CMUD. No need for a Windows license or Parallels and it runs just like a Mac application. I happened to catch their 24-hour promotion where they were giving it away for free. If you get it in the next 48 hours, it's still 25% off.

http://flock.codeweavers.com

Rhaegar
Legend

Post by Rhaegar » 01 Nov 2012 17:13

I'd rather use free software and donate this money to Genesis instead.

Also, it appears that cMUD is working just fine under WINE.

I really don't know what you see in those fancy apps and mud clients...
I fear no evil for I am fear incarnate.

petros
Site Admin

Post by petros » 02 Nov 2012 00:30

Rhaegar wrote:I'd rather use free software and donate this money to Genesis instead.

Also, it appears that cMUD is working just fine under WINE.

I really don't know what you see in those fancy apps and mud clients...
Don't get me wrong - I love free software. CrossOver was free for 24 hours, which is why I got it. But I also realize that there are just certain things where open source software is not going to get to the same level as commercial software. As an example, you certainly can't expect to get World of Warcraft from the open source community. And setting up WINE is not for the light of heart.

To me, zMud and CMUD have made my mudding experience that much more enticing. I love the auto mapping and scripting capabilities that come with it. It allows me to express myself through the little window that I have to the game. Can I use clients like tt++ and tinyfugue, etc? Sure, I have - but in my opinion, they don't get anywhere near the quality and power that I like in my MUD client. And the offerings are pretty bare for the Mac.

What's really sad is that CMUD development is pretty much dead. He simply doesn't make enough from it anymore to justify continuing development. Part of that is that there are "good enough" open source alternatives. But to me, it's a shame because those open source alternatives are a barrier to adoption of MUDs by the next generation of players. For the hours of entertainment that MUDs give me, it's totally worth the license fee (compared to watching 2 movies in the theater).

Here's the post on Zuggsoft describing why he is no longer developing: http://forums.zuggsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=37902

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/