Setting up Automapper in CMUD or zMUD

Need some help with your MUD client? Forgot your password? Get help here.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Earth
Great Adventurer

Setting up Automapper in CMUD or zMUD

Post by Earth » 16 Mar 2010 20:41

Setting up automapping in cmud or zmud poses an extra challenge in Genesis. I have had to set up a different set of mapping triggers for different areas in order to get it to work correctly. Also, there are some areas in the game that actually change long description depending on time of day or local calendar year.

You really have to play with it in order to get it to work correctly. Here are some of the rules of thumb mostly for Cmud users:

1) The biggest thing is to set the options in Genesis not to wrap.

Code: Select all

options screenwidth off
This makes it so that your client can read the whole room description as one line instead of multiple lines. That makes triggers easier to fire.

2) Set #NODIR triggers for all the "error" messages in movement. #NODIR tells the mapper that your attempt to move in that direction failed. Set one for all the ones in the area you are mapping. One basic one is

There is no obvious exit*
3) You can use the #TAG command to set the name of the room, or long description or exits. Here is an example:

#TAG name %1
#Tag desc %2
4) Move very slowly through the area. You have to wait for the mapping to complete before you move. If you run too fast, it's a problem.

5) Edit your maps as you go. It's better to fix the problem with a room right then and there then edit a mistake later. Yes, this is tedious, but it happens.

6) There are some areas will require quite complicated logic in order to capture. In CMUD, I had to create my own custom map trigger in zscript. Here is an example of what I mean:

First, I had to create a variable with all the short names of the rooms in an area:

#VAR MatchingRooms {On the road|On the plans of Solamnia|etc...}
Second, I created a zscript trigger to find those rooms that matched the desciptions listed in @MatchingRooms variable (also have to take out the > prompt if it shows:

^{~> |}({@MatchingRooms}).[a-zA-Z ,].[a-zA-Z ,]. (*)
That trigger executes the following code which automatically adds north south east west as exits (since the room I was matching didn't show any obvious exits).

#Tag name %1
#tag desc %2
#TAG exit {north|south|east|west}
#OK
Then I had to eliminate those extra exits. I thought it easier to delete exits than to create them, and the mapper seemed to be happier about it.

Hope this helps as a starting guide. If you have any additional questions, please post here so that everyone can benefit from your questions and the answers.

Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Re: Setting up Automapper in CMUD or zMUD

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 16 Mar 2010 21:56

Nice work Earth..
I understand zmud and mapping pretty well and your level of intracy with scripts is still confusing.
The bare basics and a few screenshots would probably go down well.

If I am mapping an area for the first time it is also useful to have a map like those at the cross bearers to hand to know the eventual shape, if you have to start dragging stuff about to make room.

Earth or anyone else,
Have you worked out a way to store both the brief on and off description for the room?
http://genesisquests.pbworks.com/
Join up and help each other with Quests :)

Rhynox
Titan

Post by Rhynox » 16 Mar 2010 22:19

Of course not, that is copyright violation :P

Question: if you set no wrap, will the room description always come in a single line? Or it would bring the exits in another line? My client can't wordwrap, so I need to use game wrapping, but then I need to add several triggers to catch certain lines that may break in the middle.

Earth
Great Adventurer

Post by Earth » 17 Mar 2010 00:57

Tarax the Terrible wrote: Earth or anyone else,
Have you worked out a way to store both the brief on and off description for the room?
I have. I keep the mode on brief, then as I move into a new room then have the mapper set up for brief description. I have it trigger a "look" when the room detects that it's brief mode on the exits line. Then the second set of triggers fires with the full description. The trick is to get the trigger NOT to fire when it's in long description (otherwise the mud will "look" over and over again). I have to tweak the triggers a little for different areas, but with a little trial an error I got it to work.

The little gun icon in the lower right really saved me. For those of you who don't know, that icon turns triggers on and off...very useful when you are stuck in a trigger loop.

Earth
Great Adventurer

Post by Earth » 17 Mar 2010 01:04

Rhynox wrote:Question: if you set no wrap, will the room description always come in a single line? Or it would bring the exits in another line? My client can't wordwrap, so I need to use game wrapping, but then I need to add several triggers to catch certain lines that may break in the middle.
The room description always comes in one line, and the exits on the second line, any items in the room on the third line, and any mobs on the last line.

What client are you using? I remember I had to write lots of exceptions for that same thing before Mercade added the no wrap thing to the mudlib. When he did that I was really pleased due to the multiple line trigger thing.

Rhynox
Titan

Post by Rhynox » 17 Mar 2010 03:15

MudMaster for Windows and mmucl for Linux. Neither supports word wrapping. I was worried about long descriptions that may have full stops.

Tapakah
Wizard

Post by Tapakah » 17 Mar 2010 06:29

15 years ago, when we didn't rely on clients to do line breaking and word wrapping, and when most of the players were sitting in front of 80-char width terminals, and when [strike]men were men[/strike], we employed widely manual formatting with break_string(description, 75) (usually 75). However now most of the code does rely on the client doing the format.
We love self criticism - L. F. Vunyukov, "The Tale of the Troika".

Earth
Great Adventurer

Post by Earth » 17 Mar 2010 16:29

tapakah wrote:15 years ago, when we didn't rely on clients to do line breaking and word wrapping, and when most of the players were sitting in front of 80-char width terminals, and when [strike]men were men[/strike], we employed widely manual formatting with break_string(description, 75) (usually 75). However now most of the code does rely on the client doing the format.
I remember those days when the breaking was done in code. It made for interesting times when you had to edit the long description of the room
and there were plenty of /n around in code. Blech.

Caw
Beginner

Post by Caw » 14 Feb 2014 22:24

Hi all I recently returned to the game and was trying to get Cmud set up since I had been a Zmud user in the past. However I can not get the mapper configured no matter what I do, I even downloaded Zmud and got it working fine but can't do it with Cmud.

The problem I'm getting is that when I run the config it will spot the exits and create that first room properly with the exits. But then once I move to the next room it will create it with the room name but with no exits. I have messed with the config and tried everything I can think of but I just cannot get it to create the exits.

Jhael
Adept

Post by Jhael » 14 Feb 2014 23:37

I'm not sure how you managed to necro a 4 year old thread without first finding this one: https://www.genesismud.org/forums/viewt ... =14&t=2560

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/