How to map the seas ...

Need some help with your MUD client? Forgot your password? Get help here.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Knuffel
Wanderer

How to map the seas ...

Post by Knuffel » 04 Apr 2010 10:37

Hi zMUD experts,

Anyone good tips / hints to map the seas one sails.
It seems zMUD is not all that happý with sailing.

K.

Alorrana
Myth

Re: How to map the seas ...

Post by Alorrana » 04 Apr 2010 12:52

Last edited by Alorrana on 31 Aug 2010 12:56, edited 1 time in total.
I’m not a complete idiot. Some pieces are missing.

Knuffel
Wanderer

Post by Knuffel » 04 Apr 2010 18:46

Well pencil and paper is always a good start ...
Have been experimenting a little with the following code (taken from Zuggs Forum) but not all that happy yet ... (but more environment friendly as the paper and pencil option)

Code: Select all

#ALIAS sail {#MAP %1;~sail %1}
Any other advice / hints ...

K.

Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 06 Apr 2010 02:51

using zmud latest release 7.2 whatever myself.
This is a tricky one I have not yet really solved to my own satisfaction yet.
So am interested to see what others have to say.

The map on the crossbearers is excellent.

For a quick fix I recorded the sailings for the places I wanted to go as paths.
So instead of the path being a nice tidy .ne3nj type deal it is .(sail n);(sail e);(sail n);(sail n);(sail n);(sail ne) crude and ugly
I could create custom directions for sail n etc to make the path have one letter for each sailing, but that is sort of off track.

Mapping the seas with my current knowledge is entirely possible but an annoyingly tedious task.
Currently I would do it in the following way.

Open the mapper and create a zone called bloodsea, create a new room and turn on the keyboard creation option.
Using the crossbearer map as a guide recreate the entire bloodsea using the keyboard.
Tweak the mapper configuration before starting - setting to autoconnect rooms on all directions but diagonals. (the bloodsea has few possible diagonal movements) So fo the few diagonal movements there are possible would that direction to create the link.
IE you are not moving around in the mud just using the direction keys to create rooms in the mapper with empty descriptions.
Then go into each direction in the map and set a custom command ie "sail n" overriding the standardn north.

Definitely tedious.

I guess it could be speeded up somewhat but using the #make command
ie

Code: Select all

#make {sail n|n|sail s} {Bloodsea} {Generic bloodsea room description}
Using keyboard creation and make commands, you could for example make the next room north before moving into it and this would save you a LOT of mouseclicks because the "sail n" dir to and "sail s" die back would be created and setby the make command...

Then once one person goes through that pain publish the map and we can import it ;)

Make sense?
Zmud help wrote:MAKEROOM

Syntax: #MAKE direction [name] [description]

Create a new room on the map in the specified direction. The Name and Description of the new room can be specified optionally.
If no arguments are given, the mapper will create a room in the direction currently on the top of the mapper command queue and fill in the room name, desc, exits with the best information that it has captured so far for the room. This can be used to force the mapper to create a room when it gets stuck.
The "direction" argument can contain a string list to create a room in a non-standard direction. The first element of the list is the "exit command" used to enter the new room. The second element of the list is the map direction to create the room. The optional third element is the "exit command" of the returning link. If omitted, the link command of the returning link is set to the same exit command as the link itself.

MAKEROOM Example

#MAKE n {Temple} {You are in the temple}

Creates a new room on the map to the north with the name "Temple".

#MAKE "enter|e|exit" {Closet} {You are in a dark closet}

Creates a new room to the "east" of the current room. The command to enter this room is "enter". The command for the return link is "exit".
http://genesisquests.pbworks.com/
Join up and help each other with Quests :)

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/