First skirmish with Morrison

A picture is worth a thousand words. And a log of thousands of words is worthy of being shared. Share your stories and experiences here.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Kiara
Champion

First skirmish with Morrison

Post by Kiara » 26 Nov 2013 18:03

Seems like my Sparkle board posts arent being forwarded here, so, Ill do it manually. This is what I posted on the Sparkle board:
Removed
Last edited by Kiara on 27 Nov 2013 21:31, edited 1 time in total.

Amorana
Rising Hero

Re: First skirmish with Morrison

Post by Amorana » 26 Nov 2013 22:48

I will preface this in such a way: I don't want to see anyone nerfed into oblivion, I don't want to see major changes to the guild, I'm not jumping on a bandwagon.

The single most troubling point to me in this log is the efficiency with which a mage can break weapons. It took exactly two casts each time. I understand size, etc etc. But combine that with the fact that the target appears to be "stricken dumb" and the tongue cleaving to the roof of the mouth - that sounds to me like a silence.

That ability, in my opinion, is a singular ability which is able to both silence a target (prevent spell casts in most cases) and break a weapon (prevent most melee damage.) And resistance seemed to have no effect on this spell. That is the one ability that in my opinion needs to be looked at. I'm not going to make postulations on its effectiveness, how long it lasts, what the exact effect is - but from the point of view of only this log, this ability certainly LOOKS problematic.

Now, I can't say for certain this is definitely a silence, so I could be entirely off base. Therefore, I won't state it as fact. But if that's how it does in fact work... I'd call it worrisome.
Zhar wrote: "Man, this guild I'm in is so god damn powerful! Please nerf or I'll have to leave it because it's no fun any more..."

Jhael
Adept

Post by Jhael » 26 Nov 2013 22:54

Amorana wrote:I will preface this in such a way: I don't want to see anyone nerfed into oblivion, I don't want to see major changes to the guild, I'm not jumping on a bandwagon.

The single most troubling point to me in this log is the efficiency with which a mage can break weapons. It took exactly two casts each time. I understand size, etc etc. But combine that with the fact that the target appears to be "stricken dumb" and the tongue cleaving to the roof of the mouth - that sounds to me like a silence.

That ability, in my opinion, is a singular ability which is able to both silence a target (prevent spell casts in most cases) and break a weapon (prevent most melee damage.) And resistance seemed to have no effect on this spell. That is the one ability that in my opinion needs to be looked at. I'm not going to make postulations on its effectiveness, how long it lasts, what the exact effect is - but from the point of view of only this log, this ability certainly LOOKS problematic.

Now, I can't say for certain this is definitely a silence, so I could be entirely off base. Therefore, I won't state it as fact. But if that's how it does in fact work... I'd call it worrisome.
Playing off Amorana's assumption here, which I don't disagree with but acknowledge is a guess: The supposed silence even appears 'spamable'. If this long trail of proposed hypotheses are true, it definitely seems, as Amorana said, worrisome.

Kiara
Champion

Post by Kiara » 26 Nov 2013 23:33

What is a "silence"? I guess it some game terminology I am not familiar with?

I dont have any more info than the log. Everyone will have to make their own conclusions.

I will however clearly state that I DONT post logs because I am looking for some type of mage nerf. Not at all!

I am posting them to make mages seem less scary, and to with joined efforts find ways to counter their abilities.

Amorana
Rising Hero

Post by Amorana » 26 Nov 2013 23:36

Kiara wrote:What is a "silence"? I guess it some game terminology I am not familiar with?

I dont have any more info than the log. Everyone will have to make their own conclusions.

I will however clearly state that I DONT post logs because I am looking for some type of mage nerf. Not at all!

I am posting them to make mages seem less scary, and to with joined efforts find ways to counter their abilities.
A silence, in the sense of gaming, is a spell that induces the target to be silent. In a game such as World of Warcraft, for example, it cause the target to be unable to cast spells for a set amount of time. This, with the being struck dumb, suggests to me that a target might be unable to speak, and might be unable to cast spells which require speech or any sort of mumbling or some such. Again, I'm not sure that's the case, but given that the term "dumb" implies an inability to speak in the English language, I would postulate a guess that it is.

I suppose the next time you fight a mage you could try saying hello or using a worshipper ability while fighting, though I am unsure if worshipper abilities actually require the use of speech.
Zhar wrote: "Man, this guild I'm in is so god damn powerful! Please nerf or I'll have to leave it because it's no fun any more..."

Manglor
Rising Hero

Post by Manglor » 26 Nov 2013 23:39

Amorana wrote:that sounds to me like a silence.
I promise you, it is unequivocally not a silence.

Amorana
Rising Hero

Post by Amorana » 26 Nov 2013 23:43

Manglor wrote:
Fair enough. I have no proof of that, so I have to take your word, I guess... But I'd still like to know for sure somehow.

Beyond that, it is still problematic how efficient the breaking of weapons seems to be, and that there was no gap between casts. Given that the casts were coming back to back, and simply two broke a weapon each time... I can see some argument there that such ability is a bit heavy handed in PVP against a melee fighter. Seems as though there should be some sort of a cool down on such an ability.

Jhael
Adept

Post by Jhael » 27 Nov 2013 03:58

Amorana wrote:
Manglor wrote:
Fair enough. I have no proof of that, so I have to take your word, I guess... But I'd still like to know for sure somehow.

Beyond that, it is still problematic how efficient the breaking of weapons seems to be, and that there was no gap between casts. Given that the casts were coming back to back, and simply two broke a weapon each time... I can see some argument there that such ability is a bit heavy handed in PVP against a melee fighter. Seems as though there should be some sort of a cool down on such an ability.
I actually wanted to comment about the breaking of weapons, too. But the reality is that triggers exist. From this log, we can see what text we need to handle. I suppose we do not know if unwielding truly foils the spell, though.

The use of English in Genesis is often ... careless. The description of the spell is unequivocally describing a silence effect, hence the assumption that it was a silence. Now, whether that has any bearing on it having that effect or not ... all bets are off.

Manglor: How can you make such a promise? Do you have some information proving otherwise?

I, like Kiara, am not looking for a Mage nerf. But I was curious to learn about a potentially problematic game mechanic that would require some tuning. If what Manglor says is true, I think there's not a ton to worry about from this specific spell.

Kiara
Champion

Post by Kiara » 27 Nov 2013 04:14

I never tried to speak or anything so I dont know about any silencing. Yet.

I did, simply by luck, unwield my weapon just before the spell struck me. (Since I saw the Arcons weapons breaking). And it wasnt harmed. So yeah i think if you unwield at the right time you'll be fine.

Jhael
Adept

Post by Jhael » 27 Nov 2013 04:17

Kiara wrote:I never tried to speak or anything so I dont know about any silencing. Yet.

I did, simply by luck, unwield my weapon just before the spell struck me. (Since I saw the Arcons weapons breaking). And it wasnt harmed. So yeah i think if you unwield at the right time you'll be fine.
Interesting. That tactic basically renders that spell of theirs completely useless. Seems a bit OP on our side when it comes to that, now. :lol:

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/