View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 20 Oct 2018 22:33

Forum rules


- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.



Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Why newbies have it hard in Gen 
Author Message
Wizard
User avatar

Joined: 17 Apr 2012 12:09
Posts: 753
I was testing some stuff for the newbie guide and accidentally became witness to why newbies might not have it so good around here...

Quote:
A strong-armed foul-smelling male ogre stomps in.
You glide your long-hafted oak broad-bladed steel axe across the watching small
male orc and rip his body forcefully.
The strong-armed foul-smelling male ogre attacks the watching small male orc.
The strong-armed foul-smelling male ogre attacks the watching small male orc.
The strong-armed foul-smelling male ogre attacks the watching small male orc.
You seriously cut the watching small male orc's legs with your long-hafted oak
broad-bladed steel axe.
The watching small male orc died.
The strong-armed foul-smelling male ogre killed him.
The strong-armed foul-smelling male ogre attacks the watching small male orc.
The strong-armed foul-smelling male ogre leans down over the corpse of a
watching small male orc and rips its head off with his bare hands!
The strong-armed foul-smelling male ogre tosses the head of a watching small
male orc into his blood-soaked sack.
The strong-armed foul-smelling male ogre gets two gold coins and 15 silver
coins from the headless corpse of a watching small male orc.
The watching small male orc shouts: Help! Intruders!
You greet the strong-armed foul-smelling male ogre. How friendly!
The watching small male orc shouts: Help! Intruders!
You say: Hello there.
The watching small male orc died.
The strong-armed foul-smelling male ogre killed him.
The strong-armed foul-smelling male ogre leans down over the corpse of a
watching small male orc and rips its head off with his bare hands!
The strong-armed foul-smelling male ogre tosses the head of a watching small
male orc into his blood-soaked sack.
The strong-armed foul-smelling male ogre gets two gold coins and 15 silver
coins from the headless corpse of a watching small male orc.
You are ready to donk again!
You are not fighting anyone!
The strong-armed foul-smelling male ogre pauses a moment and then burps
deafeningly, rattling everything in the area.
You say: Hey...
The watching small male orc died.
The strong-armed foul-smelling male ogre killed him.
The strong-armed foul-smelling male ogre leans down over the corpse of a
watching small male orc and rips its head off with his bare hands!
The strong-armed foul-smelling male ogre tosses the head of a watching small
male orc into his blood-soaked sack.
The strong-armed foul-smelling male ogre gets two gold coins and 15 silver
coins from the headless corpse of a watching small male orc.
The strong-armed foul-smelling male ogre drinks some of the strong rum from the
big bottle.
The strong-armed foul-smelling male ogre stomps off, leaving out.
You say: I was here first...


I wonder... If ogres would need not just quantity, but also quality on the heads they collect, would they stop raiding newbie grounds? Were I a real newbie I'd probably find such stuff not just weird but also disheartening.

_________________
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.


03 Mar 2014 18:37
Profile
Champion
User avatar

Joined: 05 Mar 2010 11:36
Posts: 608
Those specific orcs are so tiny and die in one hit and usually the spam is crazy for one to notice any other player fighting. But that ogre should just put in a simple line in his script to keep on jogging if someone already fighting in the room.
I'm innocent this time, but I also go harvest their heads on occasions. If I ninjasteal some kills the victim usually get some platinums to buy their silence :)


03 Mar 2014 18:42
Profile
Wizard
User avatar

Joined: 17 Apr 2012 12:09
Posts: 753
What I don't like here is the word "script"...

_________________
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.


03 Mar 2014 19:26
Profile
Champion

Joined: 03 May 2013 16:20
Posts: 610
Zhar wrote:
What I don't like here is the word "script"...


If you dont like scripts Genesis isn't your game I think.:)

But yeah, the ogre should definitely fix his script. A simple trigger to move on if someone is already engaged in a fight should be enough. Many seems to lack that in their scripts... which is causing some conflict and anger... for good and for worse.:)


03 Mar 2014 19:41
Profile
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: 04 Mar 2010 01:14
Posts: 288
Would you use it in your scripts if there was a kill command which did not attack npcs who are already in combat?


03 Mar 2014 20:18
Profile
I really don't think we should make it any easier for the scripters, or make scripting a more natural or accepted part of the game.
To do so would be even worse than saying it is no longer punished/illegal.
At least now the scripters might face some form of player punishment if their crappy scripts annoy the right people.


03 Mar 2014 20:36
Wizard
User avatar

Joined: 17 Apr 2012 12:09
Posts: 753
Kiara wrote:
Zhar wrote:
What I don't like here is the word "script"...


If you dont like scripts Genesis isn't your game I think.:)

But yeah, the ogre should definitely fix his script. A simple trigger to move on if someone is already engaged in a fight should be enough. Many seems to lack that in their scripts... which is causing some conflict and anger... for good and for worse.:)


I understand how much certain triggers and macros help you play the game by streamlining some stuff and taking care of some boring and repetetive tasks but I don't think that your scripts should play the game for you. That's why all those years I've avoided any and all such solutions. I do use macros that automatically put loot in my pack, that make me kill another mob of the same type when the one I was fighting dies (not discerning player/npc, helps keep attention), following leader to places that require extra typing etc. All this time I have never used scripts that automate the game for me - this includes herbing, forging etc. I've never even used speedwalking or automapper. To put it simple, I've never used a script that moves my character bar boarding/disembarking and following team across rivers, cliffs and the like. Not one room was traversed without me consciously typing it (by now I have memorized almost all paths on 3 different MUDs and they're still there even if I return after 10 years of absence). I urge others to try doing it like that for a change.

_________________
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.


03 Mar 2014 21:01
Profile
Champion

Joined: 03 May 2013 16:20
Posts: 610
Zhar wrote:
Kiara wrote:
Zhar wrote:
What I don't like here is the word "script"...


If you dont like scripts Genesis isn't your game I think.:)

But yeah, the ogre should definitely fix his script. A simple trigger to move on if someone is already engaged in a fight should be enough. Many seems to lack that in their scripts... which is causing some conflict and anger... for good and for worse.:)


I understand how much certain triggers and macros help you play the game by streamlining some stuff and taking care of some boring and repetetive tasks but I don't think that your scripts should play the game for you. That's why all those years I've avoided any and all such solutions. I do use macros that automatically put loot in my pack, that make me kill another mob of the same type when the one I was fighting dies (not discerning player/npc, helps keep attention), following leader to places that require extra typing etc. All this time I have never used scripts that automate the game for me - this includes herbing, forging etc. I've never even used speedwalking or automapper. To put it simple, I've never used a script that moves my character bar boarding/disembarking and following team across rivers, cliffs and the like. Not one room was traversed without me consciously typing it (by now I have memorized almost all paths on 3 different MUDs and they're still there even if I return after 10 years of absence). I urge others to try doing it like that for a change.


I happily use scripts both for herbing and killing. I dont think I would be playing at all without them. In my opinion they are both boring repetitive tasks basically designed to be scripted. If my scrips help me with the boring parts of the game while I am semi-active, so I can enjoy socialising when I am more active, then why would it be a problem?

I dont think anyone who has met Kiara (or my alter ego) have felt I am not active and talkative whenever I meet someone. So, you can do both. Unattended scripting isnt fun, but I have absolutely no problem with the other more allowed kind!


03 Mar 2014 21:44
Profile
Rising Hero

Joined: 16 Sep 2013 17:30
Posts: 307
Location: Dieppe, NB, Canada
cotillion wrote:
Would you use it in your scripts if there was a kill command which did not attack npcs who are already in combat?


Absolutely. We've accepted scripting as part of the game and anything that makes it more "user-friendly" would be welcome.


04 Mar 2014 15:44
Profile
Champion

Joined: 03 May 2013 16:20
Posts: 610
cotillion wrote:
Would you use it in your scripts if there was a kill command which did not attack npcs who are already in combat?


Absolutely.

A simple "are you sure you want to attack X"-check would do the trick. Similar to the one we have when you try to attack someone you remember. Actually it would make a lot of sense. It's not only due to scripts newbies end up dead now and then. It happens fairly regularly that someone who is say, an elf, happen to be in a place with other elf NPCs and someone grinding comes in and kill the newbie in one hit. Script or no script.


04 Mar 2014 17:09
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by ST Software.