Why newbies have it hard in Gen

A picture is worth a thousand words. And a log of thousands of words is worthy of being shared. Share your stories and experiences here.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Jhael
Adept

Re: Why newbies have it hard in Gen

Post by Jhael » 04 Mar 2014 17:36

Kiara wrote:
cotillion wrote:Would you use it in your scripts if there was a kill command which did not attack npcs who are already in combat?
Absolutely.

A simple "are you sure you want to attack X"-check would do the trick. Similar to the one we have when you try to attack someone you remember. Actually it would make a lot of sense. It's not only due to scripts newbies end up dead now and then. It happens fairly regularly that someone who is say, an elf, happen to be in a place with other elf NPCs and someone grinding comes in and kill the newbie in one hit. Script or no script.
Yeah, due to the way Genesis keeps track of 'beings' in the room, if Kiara enters the room I'm killing kenders in and I 'kill kender', I'll attack her if I don't have her remembered. Script or no script.

ps. I don't kill Kenders (any more), I'm reformed.

Kiara
Champion

Post by Kiara » 04 Mar 2014 17:43

Jhael wrote:
Kiara wrote:
cotillion wrote:Would you use it in your scripts if there was a kill command which did not attack npcs who are already in combat?
Absolutely.

A simple "are you sure you want to attack X"-check would do the trick. Similar to the one we have when you try to attack someone you remember. Actually it would make a lot of sense. It's not only due to scripts newbies end up dead now and then. It happens fairly regularly that someone who is say, an elf, happen to be in a place with other elf NPCs and someone grinding comes in and kill the newbie in one hit. Script or no script.
Yeah, due to the way Genesis keeps track of 'beings' in the room, if Kiara enters the room I'm killing kenders in and I 'kill kender', I'll attack her if I don't have her remembered. Script or no script.

ps. I don't kill Kenders (any more), I'm reformed.
Exactly. But maybe Cot can do something about that, so if kender == player, run attack-check function. Or something like that.:) He's clever Cotillion.

I am glad you're not killing kenders. One of few people these days it seems.:)

Jhael
Adept

Post by Jhael » 04 Mar 2014 17:49

Kiara wrote:Exactly. But maybe Cot can do something about that, so if kender == player, run attack-check function. Or something like that.:) He's clever Cotillion.

I am glad you're not killing kenders. One of few people these days it seems.:)
It may be worth placing a size restriction on it. In many cases, I think it makes perfect sense that you might attack someone unknowingly. If I'm killing humans in Gont and I enter a room, who's to say that this human isn't the same? In most cases, it's resolvable... 'stop fighting' ... but a newbie could be killed in one smash both having no idea what's going on and not enough time to react. I like the idea that you could accidentally attack someone and have to RP the situation ... but I don't like the idea that I could accidentally kill Siana instead of Jadestone because their descriptions are the same and Siana is in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Etanukar
Adept

Post by Etanukar » 04 Mar 2014 18:03

I really think this might have some merit. If a newbie were to attack a myth, they would get the discipline warning of too afraid. I can see the reverse if that. "You are far too confident that you could swat <character> like a fly. Are you certain?"

I don't like too much automation, but if we are out to protect newbs who are training or trying to get some xp, this seems like an adequate approach

Kiara
Champion

Post by Kiara » 04 Mar 2014 18:11

Oh yeah checking for size difference might be an even better idea than just checking if its a player.

Accidentally attacking someone, or someone else's prey more commonly, due to scripts, is one source of conflict, and also makes automated scripting at least a little dangerous. So you cant just leave your computer on and go do something else. Especially not if you have a poor script. Irk has proved this a few times, and I think that danger should still be real.

Etanukar's idea sounds like a good one, it would solve the newbie issue while still keeping the dangers of poor scripting / botting.

Jhael
Adept

Post by Jhael » 04 Mar 2014 18:33

Etanukar definitely puts a good descriptor on what I was trying to get at. It allows the danger of Jhael attacking Etanukar on a 'kill wraith' command, but provides safety to some poor elf innocently wandering Ithilien while Etanukar is on a rampage. (or some other more appropriate scenario)

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/