I miss......

A picture is worth a thousand words. And a log of thousands of words is worthy of being shared. Share your stories and experiences here.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Zestana
Expert

I miss......

Post by Zestana » 08 Aug 2015 15:58

I miss the days when Genesis was hard.
When Armageddon visited us once a day making healers and tanks a viable and necessary class to play.
When we wandered around with one or two elite items... chosen by us as the most cherished that we would seek out immediately after the Storm.
I miss when people died for a brute adjustment instead of death recovery and when death actually hurt.
I miss the days where herbs didn't always save and had to be obtained every day.

I miss the days when in Calia you would most assuredly run into either Didelith, Maureenanne, Dameon, or Zip....

.... When Hektor and Anahita ruled the Spirit Circle justly and with wisdom.

I miss the days of Bildor (ever afraid of death) ran the Blue Dragonarmy with the fearsome four of Casbaar, Aiguchi, Zagar, and Diri backing the Priesthood... (honorable mention to Silsandor as well.)

I miss the times when one feared to enter the Holm because you did not know if Saya was awake and preying on it or if you would encounter Anfalas with his deadly knives.

I miss the days of the old mercenaries with their dogs, tabards, and the guard whom could be bribed to give you items from some other factions private racks.

I miss those times when Rangers roamed the land in green cloaks instead of as figures. Tad the dwarf, Zingil, Acionyx, Armitace and dare I even say Xar protecting from the likes of the Wraiths Navarre, Dauron, and Taurewen (May she Rest in Peace.)

I miss the true and just Knights when their was a full active council and the plains were fraught with danger.

I miss the kender... oh how I miss them and their wily ways. Nonot and Leia and all the rest whom were always there to give you a laugh or make you fume with anger.

I miss the original "Polish Mafia" (just kidding) but the old dwarves... Gandalug, Rhynox, Logg and Barin.

Remember when the original myth squad roamed the land? And the days of Mariuz, Dionysos, and Morrison. I miss those and them too.

I miss one of the best newbie helpers of all time before the newbie line existed.... Blond.

I miss wizdays and events.

I miss when there were secrets and you had to learn some things on your own.

I miss bouncing the yeti with kenders for 40 minutes.

I miss roleplay most of all.

I miss.... it all and its not coming back ever.

I've been back for a few days... because I feel nostalgic every once in a while for all of the above... And then I realize that the Genesis I fell in love with is far from the same place it used to be. It captivates me when I first return, but already in three days I can feel that interest waning... The more we've dumbed down and made the game easier the less exciting of a place it has become :(

Alorrana
Myth

Re: I miss......

Post by Alorrana » 09 Aug 2015 21:23

:)
Attachments
ecd32765b2f528aab26510836309c41599fc7b56e8d68f521ed71fe0c5bdabd7.jpg
ecd32765b2f528aab26510836309c41599fc7b56e8d68f521ed71fe0c5bdabd7.jpg (95.05 KiB) Viewed 10302 times
I’m not a complete idiot. Some pieces are missing.

Syrk
Rising Hero

Post by Syrk » 10 Aug 2015 02:12

When to use a computer for genesis (and internet) you had to find a free one in a computer lab. Even text terminals on corridors were a catch if you were lucky to fight off irc addicts. Then a unix shell and telnet would do great, a screen or tf (or other mud client) fantastic.

To enter the game you had to wait in a queue and a splendid sword from Flotsam was a splendid weapon. Being in Cadets meant you could easily make a team with other Cadets as there were always some around.
You would ask questions (with your mouth) to the mafia sitting in the same lab (or corridor) and seeing a veteran was like "wow, he rules!". You have already mentioned a daily Armageddon...

Well, such things appear to be so cool only from afar... The time of mud popularity is long gone, your school days as well, find some other toys.

Greneth

Post by Greneth » 12 Aug 2015 00:45

Syrk wrote: Well, such things appear to be so cool only from afar... The time of mud popularity is long gone, your school days as well, find some other toys.
May not be as popular as it was in the 90's but there are still players interested, even those a decade or two younger. Mud's are far from dead, the problem this game faces isn't due to a lack of a gaming community.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 12 Aug 2015 02:49

Greneth wrote:
Syrk wrote: Well, such things appear to be so cool only from afar... The time of mud popularity is long gone, your school days as well, find some other toys.
May not be as popular as it was in the 90's but there are still players interested, even those a decade or two younger. Mud's are far from dead, the problem this game faces isn't due to a lack of a gaming community.
We've probably had more new players the last 6 months than in the last 10 years so... I wouldn't say MUDs are dead. And they were never "mainstream" either, far from it. We always were and will still be a niche type of game, and we'll always have to accept many who try Genesis will have serious trouble accepting the text interface and quickly quit. However some new players do stick around, and it's mostly thanks to them we have decent player numbers currently. Decent compared to the last few years that is. We still would need to triple it to get the game really going again. So yeah, new players do exist. We can do better in finding them, and especially in keeping them here though.

Btw Greneth, what is the problem we are facing in your opinion?

Ilrahil: I miss a lot of those things too. It will probably never be the same for us, but a new generation of players can make their own memories, in their own way.

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 12 Aug 2015 10:36

I've been visiting the Warsaw University Center of Information Technology (no, IT was NOT in use back then) to chat on IRC for a few weeks, when I have noticed a few strange guys sitting for hours in there, typing furiously, stamp their feet absentmindedly but rhytmically and focusing on their screens which by that time looked like this:
Notice the keyboard - it had this layout:
Notice the "CLEAR" button second from the top left? It was the same as "CR" where you now expect a huge "Enter" usually. It's not a typo of "CTRL" (that's somewhere else) - it was the key needed to clear the screen once it was full of text. The screen did NOT refresh on it's own, nor did it scroll. There was a command to make it scroll, but it bugged out so often (and the workstation required hard power boot to solve it), we usually decided against.
I have also found in that place some strange heaps of matrix printed paper:
with what later turned out to be the same quest files that people are still sharing.
Those guys described above (and one girl) turned out to be Fisthlandus, Tanthalis, Argor and Vanes. I forgot the char-name of Fisthlandus' gf who was also playing along. I asked them what they were doing and they got me hooked up pretty quickly. The Kahedans, SU and MM - great company to start with, but they were hardly helping in game, cause it was hurting their exp and/or RP and/or egos.

I'm not missing that hardware (I have adapted to hit "Enter" with the edge of my right hand) or times (when I was 65kg at 180cm due to lack of cash for food). But times spent later on with great guys in the same labs across all of Warsaw's universities doing fun things - that I do miss.

Taro
Adventurer

Post by Taro » 09 Apr 2016 00:03

Greneth wrote:
I may or may not be the youngest player active.
“There was this about vampires : they could never look scruffy. Instead, they were... what was the word... deshabille. It meant untidy, but with bags and bags of style.”

Melarec
Rising Hero

Post by Melarec » 11 Apr 2016 18:10

Taro wrote:
Greneth wrote:
I may or may not be the youngest player active.
Are you under 18? I have a friend who plays and is 18..

Berwyn
Veteran

Post by Berwyn » 10 Oct 2016 11:25

Zestana wrote: I miss roleplay most of all.
Me too, however I'm new here.
Evil to him who evil thinks.

Mim
Rising Hero

Post by Mim » 05 Feb 2017 01:44

Zestana wrote:
I miss the times when one feared to enter the Holm because you did not know if Saya was awake and preying on it or if you would encounter Anfalas with his deadly knives.
Why did it stop?
Anyone remembers?

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/