Bale killing Yanus

A picture is worth a thousand words. And a log of thousands of words is worthy of being shared. Share your stories and experiences here.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Re: Bale killing Yanus

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 16 Jun 2010 13:14

Sharn, I am screwing with you.. This is not at all what you have assumed. I should probably say nothing and let everyone believe we are super uber.
He checked to see if it was dark, that is all, anyone can do that, I actually put information how to on the Wiki back when was trying to get it going..
Might get a visitor now! hehe I am not a fan of keeping secrets for that sort of general command.
But if someone is as yet uneducated as to the workings of using darkness I'm not going to blab all about it on a board.
Do your homework and try it for yourself. You will see I was joking about the 60 lamps.
sharn wrote:Each of the effects single is OK to me, but those effect are too powerful when combined.
I agree and to my knowledge there has only _ever_ been one guild that could both create darkness and see in it via their specials.
I'll give you a clue it started with Spirit and ended in Circle. It was BS, but they probably would have kept it if they had not been
using it to create so much darkness that they could kill Terel Trolls (who had some night vision) blind and one at a time.
Yet they had it for a long enough to get plenty of benefit.

If Yanus had been paying attention he would be alive.. Simple as that.
http://genesisquests.pbworks.com/
Join up and help each other with Quests :)

Rhaegar
Legend

Post by Rhaegar » 16 Jun 2010 13:55

sharn wrote:
Tarax the Terrible wrote:60 lamps ought to be enough.. Unless he uses the other secret AA special, "destroy light".
Opps I've said too much.. I'll shut up now. :|
I am not sure if you are aware that you sound ridiculous.
I do not know any other game that requires you to have more then one lamp to counter the possibility of meeting moving cloud of darkness.
And actually the exploit is not rare enough to ignore it.
Accepting it means you have to cope with it - indeed have 20 lamps or better become a cloud of darkness yourself if you want to be competitive.
What else do you need?
Macro for herbing, then robot to eat herbs in right combination to keep your skills (otherwise unavailable to your character) at superior guru.

Exploits have to be fixed - I do not want to play the dark cloud game.
Mind it - I do not care much about darkness or fighting other players being a monk.

I just think it is lame and it is an exploit unless it is taxed.
Go to Silver Forest. Grab the sticks. Moving cloud of darkness enters the room you're in. Break stick. The one who was moving in darkness is now blind, not you.
Enjoy your moment of triumph.
I fear no evil for I am fear incarnate.

Sharn
Expert

Post by Sharn » 16 Jun 2010 14:59

Tarax the Terrible wrote: He checked to see if it was dark, that is all, anyone can do that, I actually put information how to on the Wiki back when was trying to get it going..
He checked to see if it was dark, and that is not all - he was also able to see in the dark.
He is also able to do so for extended periods of time. Untaxed. Imba.

Were he a dragon, mage or evil priest I would not mind. But he is dumb ogre and is able to create very powerful effects through use of combination of items.
Tarax the Terrible wrote: But if someone is as yet uneducated as to the workings of using darkness I'm not going to blab all about it on a board.
Do your homework and try it for yourself. You will see I was joking about the 60 lamps.
I believe I know how darkness works. Once I lit 10 lamps in the room with Ilrahil dark cloud and it was not enough to counter darkness.
So maybe not 60 but 10 might not be enough.
Tarax the Terrible wrote: I agree and to my knowledge there has only _ever_ been one guild that could both create darkness and see in it via their specials.
I'll give you a clue it started with Spirit and ended in Circle.
I have wrote it before that I do not mind guild abilites to do so.
Guild abilities are designed and taxed.

Priest by the power of his gods might be able to create darkness. I have seen it in the books.
Mage and dragon? Sure.
Dumb giant? Sorry, no.

Additionaly, the more people are using it, the more it becomes a requirement.
I do not use it - I am staying behind those who do.

It reminds me the arse mode.
You say, learn to use it.
I say I do not like it - fix it.

Ilrahil

Post by Ilrahil » 16 Jun 2010 17:38

Well Sharn, as darkvision is available to all through the use of items in the game available to all. It is no problem for you to get a few things to get a level of infravision and see through. And when you ran into me and needed to light 10 lamps to see through it, I was a vampire. The fact anyone could counter my darkness and leave me extremely weak, made that amount of darkness necessary.

Hektor
Veteran

Post by Hektor » 17 Jun 2010 00:58

The spirit circle is not the only guild who have had that combination of abilities Tarax, and it had little to do with Terel trolls that it was removed.
Lawful evil - conform or die.

Ilrahil

Post by Ilrahil » 17 Jun 2010 07:20

It was far before the troll cave time. There was another guild way back in the early 90's that could also create darkness, but as far as I know it was only those two. Maybe you can correct me though on it Hektor.

I believe the spell in question was removed the first time SC received a recode, back when darkness changed the first time, and it was deemed imbalanced for a guild (and rightly so I personally think) to be able to create darkness.

Nowadays with darkness being nowhere near as powerful as it was, I think a spell with the right drawbacks could come back and survive in the game... but no guilds that I know of that it would be needed.

Hektor
Veteran

Post by Hektor » 17 Jun 2010 09:03

Ilrahil - it was the Khiraa (the Lichpriest branch), and here my memory becomes a little vague, but I think they had their time late nineties (97-99). (Others can elaborate I am sure) It was before Hektor the small Calian and Bren the Monk found the Terel Troll caves and started optimizing teams and leading people there anyway. So troll caves unrelated again :)

As for the scop recode and the darkness, no scop actually has received about 4 major recodes and it was given on the 2nd and during the 3rd it was removed.

As for dark vision / infra vision etc. Now that vision = vision no matter the lights, maybe it is a bit powerful to have in an item. I don't know. Darkness/sneak&hide/and invisibility especially - have had major issues on Genesis over the years.

Either way, we are side tracking - the whole killing bit - no ogres do not do too much damage, consider how slow that blam blam (Here I am smiling and thinking Flintstones :)) really is and how hard they have to work to get those sledgehammers.

It certainly was a weak kill no better than what Bale himself endured, but such is Genesis. Just something you have to accept and move on.
Lawful evil - conform or die.

Rhaegar
Legend

Post by Rhaegar » 17 Jun 2010 09:44

In Khiraa both the Lichpriests and Deathknights had darkness and infravision (one of the first spells you learned there, but my definite favorite was "foul" which turned all food and drinks in the room into poison for mortals - it rot - not sure if it affected the herbs too).
I fear no evil for I am fear incarnate.

Makfly
Champion

Post by Makfly » 17 Jun 2010 09:50

Rhaegar wrote:In Khiraa both the Lichpriests and Deathknights had darkness and infravision (one of the first spells you learned there, but my definite favorite was "foul" which turned all food and drinks in the room into poison for mortals - it rot - not sure if it affected the herbs too).
The NPC's in the forest had it too, which was annoying for some, that forgot to take it into consideration before entering.
Most fun was the "dobble-ganger" trick when a team was walking through the forest, though. Don't know why those things aren't around anymore, because it made it a bit more dangerous, but not much, just more...characteristic of the domain. :)

/derail off
Mortimor Makfly - Gnomish Xeno-Anthropologist

Sharn
Expert

Post by Sharn » 17 Jun 2010 14:02

hektor wrote: As for dark vision / infra vision etc. Now that vision = vision no matter the lights, maybe it is a bit powerful to have in an item.
I agree, this might be the reason.
hektor wrote: Darkness/sneak&hide/and invisibility especially - have had major issues on Genesis over the years.
Again, I agree.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/