What does your character name say about him/her

Roleplay encouraged here! Tell us about the background of your characters.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Aristos
Veteran

What does your character name say about him/her

Post by Aristos » 18 Sep 2013 16:52

Coming from the reddit post fork on funny names, I thought it would be interesting to ask you all what the meaning/idea behind you choosing your name was.

I try to choose names which are somehow meaningful in a certain way.

"Aristos", for example, comes from "Areté" (ἀρετή) in ancient greek, meaning "excellence", "virtue", etc. Loosely translated as "The excellent one", or "the virtuous one", or simply "the best" :-)

Egomaniac? Naw, I just started playing Genesis after thoroughly reading the website, which provided some insight as to the different guilds, and sought out a name which could fit into a specific guilds theme which I wanted to be a part of.

I try to use either greek, or arabic names. Other names I've used in other games are, for example, based on latin meanings, like for example: "Magnanimus". This one also hints at a delirium of grandeur, but it was just fitting for a mage class roleplaying a crazy wizard who put power and control of magic over his well being.

So, anyway...
Where did you get your name from, and what did/does it mean to you?

Windemere
Expert

Re: What does your character name say about him/her

Post by Windemere » 18 Sep 2013 18:42

When I was younger we traveled in the summer time to Prince Edward Island. It is a small island in Canada that is just fabulous for seafood, beaches, golf, etc...

We always stayed at the Windemere cottages, and I had a fabulous time there. Windemere was my first character and I use this name in numerous other places because of the importance that place played in my childhood. If you can believe it, Windemere was created in 1996. He has had some rough times, considering I had no clue how to roleplay when I was in grade 8...and has been in numerous guilds throughout history. He has met some fabulous people who are no longer around, some of whom have passed on, and has made some real life friends through this game.

So, what I am tryingg to say is that Windemere started off meaning a lot to my childhood, now it means more than ever because of Genesis.

Windemere

Manglor
Rising Hero

Post by Manglor » 18 Sep 2013 22:14

Windemere wrote:If you can believe it, Windemere was created in 1996. He has had some rough times, considering I had no clue how to roleplay when I was in grade 8...and has been in numerous guilds throughout history. He has met some fabulous people who are no longer around, some of whom have passed on, and has made some real life friends through this game.
I'll never forget the computer lab days man. Memorizing directions in our heads on how to get to Gelan, Telnet with no echo, etc. Staying up to all hours playing, albeit very inefficiently...I look now at the big picture of the game and all the mystery is gone...kinda disappointing! Still fun, though.

First ever character, Achtung, was named by looking at a pile of CDs and seeing U2's 'Achtung Baby' album. Manglor is a name I've used in WoW for a number of years, because, I Mangle things.

Aristos
Veteran

Post by Aristos » 19 Sep 2013 00:00

Manglor wrote:
Windemere wrote:If you can believe it, Windemere was created in 1996. He has had some rough times, considering I had no clue how to roleplay when I was in grade 8...and has been in numerous guilds throughout history. He has met some fabulous people who are no longer around, some of whom have passed on, and has made some real life friends through this game.
I'll never forget the computer lab days man. Memorizing directions in our heads on how to get to Gelan, Telnet with no echo, etc. Staying up to all hours playing, albeit very inefficiently...I look now at the big picture of the game and all the mystery is gone...kinda disappointing! Still fun, though.

First ever character, Achtung, was named by looking at a pile of CDs and seeing U2's 'Achtung Baby' album. Manglor is a name I've used in WoW for a number of years, because, I Mangle things.
"Achtung" is german. It means "attention!", "warning", or "look out!" in different contexts. Very nice :-)

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 19 Sep 2013 00:19

Zhar the Mad (Diablo I)

Zhar the Mad is a crazed mage who resides somewhere on the final level of the Catacombs. His chamber contains several stands that can hold either a scroll or a book, and a bookshelf. At first he appears to be a non-hostile npc who simply instructs the player to leave him alone. However, should the player touch the bookshelf, Zhar will attack.
And for the US people, proper pronounciation (they tend to get my character names wrong): http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%C5%BCar
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

Karpath
Adventurer

Post by Karpath » 19 Sep 2013 04:47

"Karpath was broad as a door, heavy-jawed, grey as slate and more than three hundred pounds of solid vampire flesh. His eyes held an inner fire which, however mutely, spoke volumes. No common thrall -nor even an ordinary lieutenant - it was obvious that Karpath had known the virulent bite of a true Wamphyri Lord, and often.", Blood Brothers - Brian Lumley

There you go ;)
It is the fluttering of moths to the flame that amuses me.

Greneth

Post by Greneth » 19 Sep 2013 05:03

Greneth comes from the name Gwenyth who was my grandmother with I dont know how many greats attached. She was the black sheep in the family over in Ireland for being a thief. Of all the stories ive heard about the family over the years, hers were always the best.

Oddly enough Greneth first became a Knight.

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 19 Sep 2013 07:02

Greneth wrote:Greneth comes from the name Gwenyth who was my grandmother with I dont know how many greats attached. She was the black sheep in the family over in Ireland for being a thief. Of all the stories ive heard about the family over the years, hers were always the best.

Oddly enough Greneth first became a Knight.
Somehow, the first time I saw Greneth this was the very first thing that came to my mind.
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

Kas
Legend

Post by Kas » 19 Sep 2013 13:39

Kas hails from the early days of d&d, the famous wielder of the legendary artifact 'sword of Kas', given to him as a reward from his undead master.

Depicted correctly regarding physical appearance when Kas was a mortal slave of the dragonking of Tyr, in Genesis.
Might and Glory flaming for changing dawn, ancient power revealed of an iron crown, clear and cold and shining so far and bright, crush the world in one clash of your binding light.

Gû kîbum kelkum-ishi, burzum-ishi. Akha - gûm-ishi ashi gurum!

Mumon
Wanderer

Post by Mumon » 19 Sep 2013 17:14

I was into Zen-buddhism back in the early 90-ies:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wumen

Also, wouldn't this thread fit better in the Character Backgrounds section ? :)

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/