What does your character name say about him/her

Roleplay encouraged here! Tell us about the background of your characters.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
gorboth
Site Admin

Re: What does your character name say about him/her

Post by gorboth » 03 May 2014 15:45

Celephias wrote:My name was initially "Farton" (yes, your suspicions about the origin would be correct). I was playing nethack and stinking it up, so I started calling all of my restarts "Farton the Furious". When I was introduced to Gen (a reluctant player) by a friend, I just mindlessly went with "Farton".

I became hooked quickly, and started hobnobbing in Calathin with the mystics. While my demeanor seemed to be harmonious with the guild, the name wouldn't fly. "Farton" was flushed and "Celephias" was born. I got the name from the same friend who introduced me into the game, but accidentally transposed the letters 'i' and 'a'. He intended for me to use the Lovecraft reference "Celephais".
Lovely! I remember Farton, but never knew about the nethack origin. Also fun to hear about the lovecraftian reference. Now the one piece of missing info is the identity of the person who suggested the current name. ;-)

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Celephias
Expert

Post by Celephias » 04 May 2014 03:09

That would be none other than Sorgum, who initially got me into the game.

He and I were very close while he lived in Boston, but then he went to grad school at UW. Strangely enough, the distance caused us to ose touch to some extent (this pre-dated all of the messaging programs). Once he introduced me to Gen, we had daily access to each other again and this observation was the genesis (pun intended) for a collaborative computing system that I came up that did pretty well.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 07 May 2014 03:43

Suddenly everyone are from Boston... of all places.:)

Celephias
Expert

Post by Celephias » 08 May 2014 03:00

Cherek wrote:Suddenly everyone are from Boston... of all places.:)
Yes, and apparently we never knew it ;-) You're welcome to come visit any time you'd like!

Skippern
Wizard

Post by Skippern » 31 Aug 2014 14:37

Don't know how I got to be Skippern, seems like I've always used that name in save games (at least where I could give proper names rather than 3 letters), so my main characters have always been Skippern, no matter what game I've played.

The name Skippern fits well with my professional life, though it predates my time at collage. (Skippern, Skipper, Captain (of a ship)).

I've second a few times (not only on Genesis) with the name Gestur, often with the surname Thin. Derived from the main protagonist character in an Icelandic movie about vikings and revenge, the name of the movie if I remember correctly is "Hrafnin Fligur", "The Raven Flys". He is never presented with a name as I remember, but when asked about who he is, he replied "First you said, 'He have seen too much', than your brother replied 'He is to young, will die on the journey'. When I arrived on this island you said 'These knifes should be heavy', and now I am your guest" (In Icelandic, "Gestur Thin" means "Your Guest")

Alexi
Veteran

Post by Alexi » 24 Sep 2014 17:22

Was very heavily into Ravenloft at the time of Alexi's conception into the world of Genesis. Was reading the book Shadowborn and really liked the look and feel of the name so decided on it. (Unfortunately Shadowborn was one of the so-so books in the Ravenloft collection). So I started to use Alexi Shadowborn (Copyright issues?).

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 25 Sep 2014 03:21

Alexi wrote:Was very heavily into Ravenloft at the time of Alexi's conception into the world of Genesis. Was reading the book Shadowborn and really liked the look and feel of the name so decided on it. (Unfortunately Shadowborn was one of the so-so books in the Ravenloft collection). So I started to use Alexi Shadowborn (Copyright issues?).
I have a feeling we might have "a few" other copyright issues in the game as well.:)

Ydred
Veteran

Post by Ydred » 25 Sep 2014 05:40

Greneth wrote:Greneth comes from the name Gwenyth who was my grandmother with I dont know how many greats attached. She was the black sheep in the family over in Ireland for being a thief. Of all the stories ive heard about the family over the years, hers were always the best.

Oddly enough Greneth first became a Knight.

Funny to me since Gwenyth created the Kenders. Hardly thieves, right?

Meercat
Beginner

Post by Meercat » 30 Sep 2014 23:31

ydred wrote: Funny to me since Gwenyth created the Kenders. Hardly thieves, right?
Right! I've never heard of a kender thief. That would be silly.

"Meercat" hmm... I was looking for a fun, lighthearted name, suitable for a kender. I thought meerkats were pretty funny so uh.. yeah. I guess I'm not so good at coming up with creative names!

Oh well, at least it wasn't "Farton!" *cackle!*

Bromen
Champion

Post by Bromen » 07 Oct 2014 22:17

I was introduced into the game by Kit, Tad, and Cuitlahac. I remember playing my first few minutes in Turlock, California in the wee hours of the morning. It took me a LONG time to come up with Bromen which is supposed to be pronounced Br-ah-min, but most pronounce it Br-oh-min. For some reason I thought using the 'o' sound in the word "hot" would make it more elven. I was enamoured with Elves and the fight against evil. I wanted to be a spellcasting archer, but since that was way out of range for a newb like me, I decided an elven monk was perfect.

I miss Garnet, Darien, Rowan, Sirra, Iliana, and Tesla very much and would like to see them play again.

I'm glad to have Nellnight around since we did our best to be rival adventurous young monks and I'm sad to see he's much bigger than me.

If you're around rising hero and have a buddy around, by all means, kill the Re Albi captain (from kalaman?) and see what happens. Nell and I did it right before arma and his running skills weren't as good as mine.

*cackle*

-Bromen

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/