Description Thread

Roleplay encouraged here! Tell us about the background of your characters.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Fourtcoer
Wanderer

Description Thread

Post by Fourtcoer » 05 Jun 2010 00:21

In a lot of MUDs, players can write a custom description of their character - including the nuances, hallmark scars, deformities, and so forth. As nifty as the hair, eye, jewelry, tattoo features, etc. are, it can't cover everything. Do you have particularly high cheekbones? Bushy eyebrows? A missing tooth? Does your character have a particular aroma, or does their voice have a distinct quality? Do you have some in-character heirloom item you carry with you that isn't currently represented as an in-game object - such as a necklace holding the fang from the first prey you hunted, or a shackle permanently bound to your wrist as a reminder of a former life as a slave?

Post your character descriptions here!

Rhaegar
Legend

Re: Description Thread

Post by Rhaegar » 05 Jun 2010 06:04

The only thing I can come up with here, is that whenever I wanted to create a one-eyed character, it didn't work well with some of the emotes in the game...
I fear no evil for I am fear incarnate.

Fourtcoer
Wanderer

Post by Fourtcoer » 05 Jun 2010 06:44

I've noticed that too, Rhaegar! I also thought the hair stylist in Gelan should include facial hair styles for men (or female dwarves!)

If I were to write a description for Fourtcoer, it would look something like this:

A tall, coarse man in his late middle years, Fourtcoer Whiteguard is a knight that has likely seen better days. Greying hair, coarse and wiry, is bound into a tail at the nape of his neck, with loose locks falling haphazardly near his rugged sideburns, and he sports a dark flowing moustache in the tradition of the Solamnic Knights. Beneath a dark, furrowed brow, steel grey eyes are intense but cloudy, as if hardened and haunted by ghosts from his past. His face is etched with the scars and creases of battle and age, and faded on his countenance is the remnants of what must have once been a prominant tattoo of three intertwining circles, now mostly lost to the ravages of battle and time. His build is muscular, though not extrodinary for a man of his profession, and he carries himself with the posture expected of a knight, but with enough of a swagger that excludes pretention.

Rhaegar
Legend

Post by Rhaegar » 05 Jun 2010 19:10

Facial hair is something I wanted for ages now.
And if you want to have a beard (whiskers in case of female) as a dwarf, the only option I see is joining the Rockfriends.
I fear no evil for I am fear incarnate.

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 07 Jun 2010 18:50

The tattered black-hooded robe that enshrouds this wraith would look rather menacing were it not for the many pudding stains that are clinging to its surface. Apparently, this fellow enjoys his treats, for he is sneaking bites from a plate of pie he has in his skeletal hands every few minutes when he thinks no one is watching. His eyes are glowing like red-hot coals ... or, perhaps, red-hot pepperoni.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Aristos
Veteran

Post by Aristos » 05 May 2014 13:56

That's one thing I missed when creating my first character: being able to define the short adjectives myself instead of choosing from a list. I was looking forward to using "ebon-eyed shadow-cloaked" as my two adjectives, but instead had to choose. I remember asking if I could change this, and someone said on the newbie line that I can only chnge them if I died, so I went and killed myself to change the adjectives, only to find that I could, just as in the character creation phase, choose them from a list.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 06 May 2014 01:47

Aristos wrote:That's one thing I missed when creating my first character: being able to define the short adjectives myself instead of choosing from a list. I was looking forward to using "ebon-eyed shadow-cloaked" as my two adjectives, but instead had to choose. I remember asking if I could change this, and someone said on the newbie line that I can only chnge them if I died, so I went and killed myself to change the adjectives, only to find that I could, just as in the character creation phase, choose them from a list.
That's correct, you can only change your short desc when you die, and only to the words in the same list as you chose from when you create your player.

I think if it was free we would end up with a lot of... odd characters. While you simply wanted "ebon-eyed" and "shadow-cloaked" I have a feeling it would not take long until we saw lot's of interesting creativity. "A naked big-breasted female elf arrives from the west", "You attack the jedi-looking lighsaber-wielding male goblin" and so on... not sure that's something we want to see?

And even if people didn't come up with silly descriptions we will probably end up with some otherwise nice but unfortunately misspelled descriptions as well. Not sure that's good either?

Greneth

Post by Greneth » 06 May 2014 01:58

Eh I know one of the reasons a few people I invited to Gen from New Worlds went back was because of the lack of customization. They said everything was too generic and set in stone, descriptions of characters, clothing, accessories etc.

NWs biggest thing is player made items and descriptions, works alright for them.

Aristos
Veteran

Post by Aristos » 06 May 2014 07:16

In the end, its the same as with names.. No self respectable character would describe himself as depicted above. The only ones who would do that would be the same people who choose names like "Donkeyteeth" ;-)

Maybe, in the beginning, people pick silly names and descriptions, but once they experience the mud, maybe, just maybe, they might reroll and take it seriously in order to experience the other side of it :-)

Azuri
Beginner

Post by Azuri » 22 Dec 2015 14:51

As someone who had played both new worlds and genesis.

I honestly prefer this game. Most mud like new worlds want book long descriptions for your character. Not everyone can do that. Also having seen world of warrant roleplay, and rep... I rather have some restrictions. I don't want to examine a person and read s novel of what they look like. I prefer a basic look, and let my imagination run free.

And no offence. The less half vampire half dragon cat girl/boy who sparkle in daylight with tragic pasts, who make money entertaining people in privet rooms the better....

As for my description

I'm an Elvin girl, with a petite child-like build. I'm very small and skinny, with shoulder length silver hair fashioned in ringlets curls. My eyes have a cute way about them and are silvery gray in color. My skin is pale due to being nocturnal. My face is round, with almond eyes, my lips are thin, and my nose is thin but pointed out a bit. My bust size is small due to my child-like appearance.

My personality is a bit mysterious as I'm shy around others. Once I get to know someone I'm friendly and protective. I keep very few friends, due to my shy ways. Prefer having one life long companion, I'm not fond of strangers approaching me, and kissing my hand, or any other part of me. My normal reaction of such experiences is to cry and run away. Other then being shy, I do have a innocent child like way about myself, and in most cases would call myself a child. I do tend to be on the helpful side, and enjoy to help others even if I go unrewarded. I'm also lady like and polite when introducing myself, as this was taught to me by my mother.

That's my character.

May as well get into my character history

I was born in a forest village, from what my mother told me, I was born with a silver tuft of hair and eyes that look like full moons. She given me the name Azuri, which in my village means child of moonlight. I had don't recall much of my baby years, but my mom told me I was a calmer at night then in the daylight hours. When I was much younger I would gaze up at the moon, fascinated in watching it grow and shrink. My mom even told me I cried when I first saw a new moon, she said I wept thinking someone had stolen the moon. My mother is a kind, but stern women. She is very protective of me due to how short and frail I look.

She's the village silk weaver, while my father was a silk seller, we wasn't rich but not poor either. Due to being a forest born elf, I developed a more leafy pallet, and prefer eating oats, leaves, roots, and fruits. Meats tend to not settle well, with me no matter how my father cooks them. When I got older, as in recently I started to explore the forest at night, the people started to nick-name my the lunar elf. My skin became pale, and started to just prefer the darkness of night time.

And it was such exploration, is how I got here. I recall exploring a glen and saw a floating shimmering light, I went to check it out and found myself on a hilltop. That is where my adventure began.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/