Are there any *comprehensive* newbie's guides?

Need help with quests? Maybe just some advice on which guilds to choose? This is the forum for you. Note that you must be a validated player to view this forum. (Note: Quest help should come in the form of helpful suggestions/hints, but not direct solutions/walkthrough info.)
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Nighthawk
Greenhorne

Are there any *comprehensive* newbie's guides?

Post by Nighthawk » 20 May 2016 08:23

So OK -- I'm new here, and I've been playing text-based games (principally Gemstone, Dragon's Gate and Fed II) for 25 years now.

So far, people have been helpful; no one can say otherwise. I recognize that folks don't want to hand out a heap of quest spoilers, and that's good, but there's a lot that a newcomer could use that'd both help with newbie retention and keeping the message traffic on the ntell line down:

* The way inventory is handled in this game is pretty atypical. Newbies really ought to know (if, as I gather, it's true) that most items don't survive a logout, and that a newbie is shooting himself in the foot by spending precious gold on most of the things in most of the shops, if indeed those too will vanish in a couple hours tops.

* Newbies ought to have a ballpark notion how training in particular skills will work over the short term and the long term. So far, I've invested a lot of hours and gold in working up various magical skills, without much handle on how long it's going to take to get so much as a single spell that can be used in combat. Ten more hours of foraging and skinning? Twenty? More? Should newbies not bother with magic skills right off? Is there anywhere I can find out the benefits of training "Enchantment" vs "Abjuration" vs "Transmutation?"

* A bunch of smaller tips would be useful, too. I spent 2 1/2 hours foraging grey bark for an Academy quest earlier, handed the stuff to the herbalist as I got it, was halfway done, had to log out, and had no idea that logging out on an uncompleted task voided the task. I would've appreciated knowing that beforehand. (Come to that, at an average of one bark an hour, obviously I'm not a good enough forager to come up with FIVE. Where ought my skills to be? Two more trainings? Five? Ten?)

* Could common nomenclature and the "magic map" be harmonized? I spent about 45 minutes searching for an "Orc Temple" that seems, in fact, to be what the map calls the "Orc Fortress." Are they in fact one and the same?

The tutorial was very good and very well organized, but the frustration level is rising here.

Cherek
Site Admin

Re: Are there any *comprehensive* newbie's guides?

Post by Cherek » 20 May 2016 14:44

Nighthawk wrote: The tutorial was very good and very well organized, but the frustration level is rising here.[/color]
That could be our slogan, "Genesis - Frustratingly fun!":)

As you probably know the entire game is created by it's players on their spare time, including website and any guides existing. Genesis has no paid developers, so Genesis has always, and will always be a patchwork of ideas from hundreds of different people all mixed together, creating some truly unique things, but also sometimes a bit of frustration. It's kind of the curse and charm of the game. All your points are valid and good feedback, there's definitely a lot we could do to make the new player experience better, someone simply has to volunteer to do it.

The best guide out there for new players is probably this: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1NIj ... j85gao/pub

I dont know who created it, but I'd imagine it is useful for someone new.

And the orc temple is IN the orc fortress I believe.

Sykil
Adept

Post by Sykil » 20 May 2016 15:04

This is help me great. look below at signature
oh is same as cherek
Last edited by Sykil on 20 May 2016 15:36, edited 1 time in total.
Somebody send this to me when I start:

Genesis Start Guide

Azarias
Beginner

Post by Azarias » 20 May 2016 15:08

A few other websites that have been passed around over the years, each of which is helpful in their own way for learning.

http://genesisquests.pbworks.com/w/page ... t-quite%29

http://thecheatershandgui.wix.com/gene

http://www.otyglad.net/genesismaps/
Two!

Arman
Wizard

Post by Arman » 20 May 2016 17:14

Nighthawk wrote:Should newbies not bother with magic skills right off? Is there anywhere I can find out the benefits of training "Enchantment" vs "Abjuration" vs "Transmutation?"
Right now the magic skills you can train from adventurers guilds are little to no benefit, as the vast majority of spells in the game require you to be in a specific magic user guild. So right now, those skills will be the least of use to a newbie.

There are plans in the works that we hope will change this, making magic more accessible, and make those magic skills useful to those who haven't committed to a magic guild.

If you do join a spell casting guild, you'll find different spells are more effective or require a minimum skill level in a spell form (i.e. enchantment, abjuration, conjuration, illusion, etc) and element (fire, air, earth, water, death, life).

Sykil
Adept

Post by Sykil » 24 Nov 2016 00:00

https://shadowgenesis.wordpress.com this is help me great now
Somebody send this to me when I start:

Genesis Start Guide

Kvator
Champion

Post by Kvator » 24 Nov 2016 00:48

LOTS of incorrect informations in guilds section

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/