Maps.

Need help with quests? Maybe just some advice on which guilds to choose? This is the forum for you. Note that you must be a validated player to view this forum. (Note: Quest help should come in the form of helpful suggestions/hints, but not direct solutions/walkthrough info.)
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Alorrana
Myth

Maps.

Post by Alorrana » 04 Mar 2010 15:33

Last edited by Alorrana on 31 Aug 2010 13:11, edited 1 time in total.
I’m not a complete idiot. Some pieces are missing.

Makfly
Champion

Re: Maps.

Post by Makfly » 04 Mar 2010 15:57

Also some more old maps to be found here on Carpus' old site.

http://home.swipnet.se/~w-51024/p4.htm
Mortimor Makfly - Gnomish Xeno-Anthropologist

Megarius
Apprentice

Post by Megarius » 04 Mar 2010 16:52

Alorrana wrote:some maps to help if needed :)

http://www.thecrossbearercorporation.co ... nesismaps/
Thanks!

Knuffel
Wanderer

Post by Knuffel » 05 Mar 2010 22:09

Wonderfull indeed.

I just wonder about the details of these maps.

The one of Carpus have been around since the days of Pie and are what one could find in the Travellers Guild years ago.
Only straightforward roads, and no hidden paths.
They give you the lay of the land.

The one from Aloranna's link are extremely detailed, and contain hidden entrances and paths.
I don't say it is wrong to share them (as there are obvious a lot of people who have them) but I myself would call these beyond general maps, or just game hints.
I learned a lot of looking at these just now, and marked for myself quite a few areas I need to discover, but I am curious how we level set these kind of maps with sharing "spoils".

Just really curious on the balance ?

K.

Creed

Post by Creed » 07 Mar 2010 02:22

I also think there are too many details on the maps.

On the sybarus maps, it even says "quest room".. thats just a tad too much.

Its fine to show a lot of things.. But you shouldn't serve all information to people.
Perhaps a little moderation of the maps would be good.
To take away the most obvious spoilers..

And perhaps also some of the walk-ways.. as to how to enter certain locations.
On the maps now, are written exactly how you get more or less anywhere.

petros
Site Admin

Post by petros » 07 Mar 2010 02:32

I agree that if there is specific quest information, then the maps may be a bit much. On the other hand, these are very excellent maps and unless the person who originally made them is willing to create "cleaner" versions of them, I think the benefit of the maps to new players may be greater than simply moderating them out completely.

Just a reminder about the purpose of this particular forum. This particular forum can't be seen by anyone who isn't a validated game user. The purpose of this section is to help people who may be looking for help, but through hints usually and not outright directions. The maps definitely fall into this category, but the extra info in the maps fall into a gray area.

That being said, I think it should be made very clear in the links that the maps contain potential spoilers for people who may want to research and discover them for themselves. I'll make a small note next to the link to indicate this. Thanks everyone!

Bromen
Champion

Post by Bromen » 07 Mar 2010 03:43

So only hints are available? What if I asked for a total walk through for a quest?

Rhynox
Titan

Post by Rhynox » 07 Mar 2010 05:34

Genesis should have official maps.

By the way, I really love Igun's maps because they are in ASCII and I can show them to others within the game. Not sure if they are still up.

Ilrahil

Post by Ilrahil » 07 Mar 2010 13:51

I have always had a problem with those maps being posted online personally. It gives a lot of things, that a player who likes to explore areas might find interesting, no interest at all.

The player no longer is around. Kharil was the one who originally made them and they were copied to that site by another player with his permission when it was realized he wasn't going to be playing or stay in contact with anyone anymore (at least contact as far as I know, however we were never on that great of terms.)

Even though they reveal a lot of secrets that should remain hidden to a point. They do not really reveal quest info, nor do they violate the rooms of the game, and Kharil did not ever look or at least on the maps go into detail about a lot of rooms. At least 75% of the realms on that map have quite a few rooms that he either never found nor wanted to post about finding.

I guess I dislike the page in general, though i found it helpful when i used to herb. However I think if a player of Genesis or a wizard took those maps and cleaned them up from secret rooms/areas it would be really awesome for new players.

Alorrana
Myth

Post by Alorrana » 07 Mar 2010 14:07

Last edited by Alorrana on 31 Aug 2010 13:11, edited 1 time in total.
I’m not a complete idiot. Some pieces are missing.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/