Advanced Newbie Guide

Need help with quests? Maybe just some advice on which guilds to choose? This is the forum for you. Note that you must be a validated player to view this forum. (Note: Quest help should come in the form of helpful suggestions/hints, but not direct solutions/walkthrough info.)
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Zhar
Wizard

Advanced Newbie Guide

Post by Zhar » 17 Feb 2014 20:42

I need help in composing the advanced newbie guide. I think that the biggest tipping point for a new person staying or leaving is soon after the tutorial, where they might feel at a loss as to what to do next. That's why I came up with the idea of a bit of "step-by-step" guide that should make the transition from tutorial to real world easier. Please let me enhance it (all feedback welcome) so that I may perhaps include it in the game in the form of another journal or something that will be given to characters who finish the tutorial.

Introduction

Welcome to the real world of Genesis!

You'll soon find out that it is quite different to the tutorial area you've just finished (I hope). The world here is open and not divided into areas of progressing difficulty. You may find yourself running into something you won't be able to tackle quite soon, alas, do not despair! It's all valuable experience and even if you die you shouldn't give up.

To start things off, this guide will contain some general tips as to what to do next. You don't have to follow them if you want to do things the other way. This guide has been compiled thanks to the efforts of numerous experienced adventurers, based on their experience and knowledge.

Primary Goals

First thing you should set upon is setting some general goals to accomplish. Don't aim for "obtain a myth level" just yet, take it slow and raise the bar gradually. With this in mind, here are some things you could look to doing in the immediate future:

1. Join a guild.

Te towncrier in Sparkle will send you on a task to locate the Cadet and Academic guilds in the town of Gelan in Calia. It is advisable that you join one of those guilds immediately, this will give you a place to stay, train and keep your equipment between your travels. You could opt for other "free to join" guilds out there, like the Mercenaries or Gladiators but you should know that attaining the same level of effectiveness there as in the Cadets for example will require a lot more money and effort. Cadets and Academics will provide you with adequate skills and special abilities to aid you in the early adventures, it is also easy to transition from them to other, more advanced, guilds later - when you have gained some skills and knowledge of the realms.

2. Train your skills.

In the beginning, skills will be harder to come by than stats. Earning money can be a bit tedious in the beginning but it will get easier as your skills increase. It is advisable that your first primary focus should be on obtaining and maxing all of the skills available in Adventurer's Guilds across the realms, as well as those in Cadets, Academics and any racial guilds you might have joined. Those skills will help you with questing and form a good base for when you're ready to join a more advanced occupational guild.

- need a list of good places to farm gold at lower levels, stuff like small orc camp in Shire -

3. Quest and explore.

In the beginning you should try and complete some of the easier quests. Questmasters in various realms are a good starting point since they will give you more than one quest. Those quests won't give you a whole lot of experience, but they will give you an opportunity to learn more about the world and how things work in it.

Here's a list of questmasters you should visit first:

Sparkle Area:
- Mayor of Green Oaks (need name)
- Karkadelt the Enchanter in Sparkle

Calia:
- Alexis in Argos

Krynn:
- Tarshir in Solace

Kalad:
- QM in Kabal (need name)

Earthsea:
- Aunty in the village of Ten Alders, north of Port Gont

Middleearth:
- Carastur in Pelargir

- excluded QM's that restrict certain races/aligns like Hunthor and Warden -

4. Finding the Balance

You should balance your quest and combat experience. It is a good idea to first focus on combat (which will give you money for skills) and go questing when your become brutal or very brutal to lower it (which will help you grow faster).

5. Increasing your potential.

Once you have maxed all of your skills, done the simple quests and acquired some spare money, it is time to move on. Seek out more advanced guilds to join, harder quests to complete and foes to defeat.

Summary

If you follow the tips listed above, your character should be growing at a steady pace and you will acquire general knowledge of the realms, basic skills and experience needed in further adventures.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is just a draft, I hope you can help me expand it :) What's needed except stuff mentioned above: Dangerous places - where NOT to go in the beginning. Friendly places - areas and domains where it's (relatively) safe to explore in the beginner-adept range and where you can find interesting stuff for this range (loot, quests etc.).
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

Etanukar
Adept

Re: Advanced Newbie Guide

Post by Etanukar » 19 Feb 2014 03:40

Great Idea. Perhaps it can be added to the newbie guide at the end?

Hernan is the quest master in Kalad

Zar
Hero

Post by Zar » 19 Feb 2014 08:18

Town crier sends players to enchanter and elf mayor in sparkle.
So put him instead. That will make incremental knowledge about QMs

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 19 Feb 2014 11:10

Good thoughts. Any other ideas what could be added to this guide? Perhaps some low-level EQ tips? People can get pretty overwhelmed in the beginning when they see a lot of stuff in merc/cadet racks, it might be a good idea to give them some starting pointers on selecting usable weapons (and stuff that won't make their life miserable like BSA or JBS, even though they can be fun).

Windemere
Expert

Post by Windemere » 19 Feb 2014 17:16

Suggesting some good places to fight and gather items to loot for coins. Xorfin and the Academy lady do this when you join by saying you can do Argosians if you're evil or Kretans if you're good. So that would be helpful. Also, you can kill rats and deliver them to the gentlemen near the crier and he gives coins, I belive, for the rats you bring in. Another way to make money.

Not sure if you want to have something in there about RP and considering your character. When I make a new character I try to have an idea of who they are where they are from so that it will affect their mannerisms and their behaviour. If a newbie really wants to get into that it might be helpful. It also provides a bit more buy-in to the character and promotes the idea of RP. I find it much more difficult to RP if I don't know who I am or what I stand for. This might change over time, but having the basis is always helpful.

Just some ideas.

Windy

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 19 Feb 2014 19:16

That is all useful. I've also decided to include some basic guide to herbing (with locations of a couple of herbalists and some spots to find herbs to get people started) for those less violently inclined.

Another thing: Does anyone know good weaponsmiths?
Bubba makes polearms.
Borin makes axes.
How about swords, clubs and knives? Any smith/shop that can provide them in decent enough quality? (and is within easy reach from Sparkle)

Mersereau
Champion

Post by Mersereau » 20 Feb 2014 02:53

I believe Palanthas has someone who forges swords.

Listing places where you can have armours made would also be helpful.

Some other places where you can buy equipment such as packs, lamps, torches or oil would be advisable.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die."
-Mel Brooks

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 20 Feb 2014 03:57

In other words, where you might find all the stuff you may need (for combat, questing and other needs) in decent enough quality so you have something to start with even if the racks at your chosen guild are empty? Great idea.

I'll start compiling the list of what I think would be good places and post it here so you can review and correct/expand it as necessary.

Edit: I think this guide might end up being a compendium of sorts...

Kiara
Champion

Post by Kiara » 20 Feb 2014 13:22

Dont make it too "complete" though. Isnt part of the fun to find these things out? Asking people where to find stuff etc is a natural way to interact too.

Also I think the less text the greater the chance of it being read.:)

Jhael
Adept

Post by Jhael » 20 Feb 2014 16:40

I do mean this constructively ... but I find it a little goofy that you were just talking about how this game is hard and that's a good thing, but here you are wanting to create a compendium to give to newbies? I mean don't get me wrong, I think it's a step in the right direction, I'm just not sure why the sudden change of heart.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/