Advanced Newbie Guide

Need help with quests? Maybe just some advice on which guilds to choose? This is the forum for you. Note that you must be a validated player to view this forum. (Note: Quest help should come in the form of helpful suggestions/hints, but not direct solutions/walkthrough info.)
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Zhar
Wizard

Re: Advanced Newbie Guide

Post by Zhar » 20 Feb 2014 18:59

Kiara wrote:Dont make it too "complete" though. Isnt part of the fun to find these things out? Asking people where to find stuff etc is a natural way to interact too.

Also I think the less text the greater the chance of it being read.:)
Yes, I'm aware of that. I want to make it into a collection of most basic info so that new people won't be completely lost (in case there's no one around to help them out). At the same time, this might also work as another "hook" for the game, since it will inform people right off the start about some of the many possibilities and features included in the game.
Jhael wrote:I do mean this constructively ... but I find it a little goofy that you were just talking about how this game is hard and that's a good thing, but here you are wanting to create a compendium to give to newbies? I mean don't get me wrong, I think it's a step in the right direction, I'm just not sure why the sudden change of heart.
I mentioned it earlier that I had posted many ideas to make the game more accessible (along with ideas to make it harder). They're not mutually exclusive.
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

Snowrose
Rising Hero

Post by Snowrose » 10 Mar 2014 16:14

don't forget the mayor of re albi/cadu for good relitivly simple quests. there are good questing spots in terel also the gypsy camp and garden. and faerun has like 3 quests all pritty safe if you stick to roads/farms. and shire is full of nice easy quests however they are a bit scattered since shire is several towns.

there are also some good quests in syberus bazarr which is pritty safe as long as they dont venture into dark areas. and the bazaar sells a lot of good equipment packs/qarrabas

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 10 Mar 2014 23:21

I don't want to add everything there. Just some pointers that will help get people to the adventurer/adept level (since after that they should be able to know enough to be self-reliant for the most part). What I think is the most important:
1. Places to farm xp and cash, especially cash since skills are crucial and there's a lot of them that a new character must get. Even just maxing the AG stuff should be around 200-300 plats if not more. When I was a smallfry back in the days I hardly ever saw more than 10 plats on my account so it took ages. I think it was mostly due to me not knowing where would be good and safe places to get cash (like Shire orcs, but that's just one area and it's quite popular so not very reliable) and there were no imbuements to provide this slight boost through AH.
2. Where to get decent enough equipment. I remember that way back when most of us chose polearms at Cadets simply because of Bubba. It's fine but I think that more variety would be nice. There are swords in Tyr and axes in Blue Mountains, how about clubs and knives? Any shops/smiths that sell those?
3. Optional: Some entry-level enchanted equipment that can be gotten solo relatively easily, something like green steel sabre perhaps. Not entirely sure about that though since that would be cutting on GA/V levels. Adepts should be able to get the crimson steel longsword, death's chainmals and such. Don't know of other good non-smith/shop stuff that could be obtained by adept-level Cadet though (not even sure if they can take out the devil's knight but I think LoD was pretty popular aroud that size).

For the higher end of this spectrum (adept/ga) I think I remember those places where I was able to get cash and xp but please correct me if I'm wrong:
- dwarf camp near Haven @ Krynn
- trolobies @ Holm
- LoD @ Terel
- goblin caves @ Terel (but this was risky)
- guards @ Kalaman
- small krougs @ Calia
- kretan camp @ Calia

It's pretty hard for me to compile a reasonable list like that since my memories of that time are pretty distant and we mostly traveled in Cadet teams so it was easier.

Amorana
Rising Hero

Post by Amorana » 11 Mar 2014 16:06

Zhar wrote:I don't want to add everything there. Just some pointers that will help get people to the adventurer/adept level (since after that they should be able to know enough to be self-reliant for the most part). What I think is the most important:
1. Places to farm xp and cash, especially cash since skills are crucial and there's a lot of them that a new character must get. Even just maxing the AG stuff should be around 200-300 plats if not more. When I was a smallfry back in the days I hardly ever saw more than 10 plats on my account so it took ages. I think it was mostly due to me not knowing where would be good and safe places to get cash (like Shire orcs, but that's just one area and it's quite popular so not very reliable) and there were no imbuements to provide this slight boost through AH.
2. Where to get decent enough equipment. I remember that way back when most of us chose polearms at Cadets simply because of Bubba. It's fine but I think that more variety would be nice. There are swords in Tyr and axes in Blue Mountains, how about clubs and knives? Any shops/smiths that sell those?
3. Optional: Some entry-level enchanted equipment that can be gotten solo relatively easily, something like green steel sabre perhaps. Not entirely sure about that though since that would be cutting on GA/V levels. Adepts should be able to get the crimson steel longsword, death's chainmals and such. Don't know of other good non-smith/shop stuff that could be obtained by adept-level Cadet though (not even sure if they can take out the devil's knight but I think LoD was pretty popular aroud that size).

For the higher end of this spectrum (adept/ga) I think I remember those places where I was able to get cash and xp but please correct me if I'm wrong:
- dwarf camp near Haven @ Krynn
- trolobies @ Holm
- LoD @ Terel
- goblin caves @ Terel (but this was risky)
- guards @ Kalaman
- small krougs @ Calia
- kretan camp @ Calia

It's pretty hard for me to compile a reasonable list like that since my memories of that time are pretty distant and we mostly traveled in Cadet teams so it was easier.
LOD can be quite tough even at those level. Reason being, the charges hit you for quite a bit of health and can be rapid fire, and bats and dogs also have a tendency to attack you when you are small.

If I were compiling the list, I'd definitely include Kobolds in Northern Terel as a place for newbies to go, as the npcs are relatively small and you can often get imbuements to sell.
Zhar wrote: "Man, this guild I'm in is so god damn powerful! Please nerf or I'll have to leave it because it's no fun any more..."

Kiara
Champion

Post by Kiara » 11 Mar 2014 17:17

Kobolds and the new orc area in Sparkle are definitely the best greenhonre to apprentice-ish areas in my opinion!

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 11 Mar 2014 17:40

Kiara wrote:Kobolds and the new orc area in Sparkle are definitely the best greenhonre to apprentice-ish areas in my opinion!
Greenhorne-Apprentice isn't that big of a deal since you can farm orc temple until wanderer. The question is, what's next?

Shire orcs are no-brainer really, but is there anything besides that? Kretans/Argosians/Water Kroug require you to either wear armour (which isn't very feasible at lower levels due to encumbrance) and pretty much be adventurer+ with sup jour combat skills at the least.

I guess this wasn't much of a problem since Cadets were quite active and numerous, ensuring that you almost always had someone to team with. Nowadays I don't really see lower-level people running around in teams other than with some big guys to go grind in Faerun etc.

Amorana
Rising Hero

Post by Amorana » 11 Mar 2014 17:48

Zhar wrote:
Kiara wrote:Kobolds and the new orc area in Sparkle are definitely the best greenhonre to apprentice-ish areas in my opinion!
Greenhorne-Apprentice isn't that big of a deal since you can farm orc temple until wanderer. The question is, what's next?

Shire orcs are no-brainer really, but is there anything besides that? Kretans/Argosians/Water Kroug require you to either wear armour (which isn't very feasible at lower levels due to encumbrance) and pretty much be adventurer+ with sup jour combat skills at the least.

I guess this wasn't much of a problem since Cadets were quite active and numerous, ensuring that you almost always had someone to team with. Nowadays I don't really see lower-level people running around in teams other than with some big guys to go grind in Faerun etc.
Again - kobolds are great for the moneymaking potential, not the XP. They die quick and there's a ton of them = great opportunity for imbuements.
Zhar wrote: "Man, this guild I'm in is so god damn powerful! Please nerf or I'll have to leave it because it's no fun any more..."

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 11 Mar 2014 19:49

Never seen the kobolds... Gotta check them out.

Kiara
Champion

Post by Kiara » 11 Mar 2014 23:22

Zhar wrote:Never seen the kobolds... Gotta check them out.
They are the best!

Ydred
Veteran

Post by Ydred » 30 Aug 2014 05:26

Very sorry for the double post. I just saw I clicked on wrong thread.

When you first start genesis.
Look at these maps : www.thecrossbearercorporation.com/websites/genesismaps/

1. Set up a macro ..... btb .. buy ticket;board .. this will save you tons of minutes missing a boat cause you didnt type buy ticket;board fast enough
Also sellall .... empty pack;sell weapons;sell armours
gafc ... get all from first corpse;get all from second corpse;get all from third corpse;get all from fourth corpse;keep unusual items;keep peculiar items;keep exotic items;put unworn items in pack;put unwielded items in pack (this will keep you from selling goods you can barter for a lot (relative to your size) of money)

2. Travel to these Quest Masters first .... Do not try to do all quests. Only These.

Bunny Isle
Sparkle : Help The Dwarf King .. North Sparkle

Sparkle Docks : All you can til ink and book signing (will give you some gold)
Solace(Tarashir) : 8 tours.
Pelargir(Carastur) : 1-3 tours.
Minas Tirith(Hunthor) : 1-4 tours.
Faerie Tours : 1-7 tours.
Gelan Tours
Gelan Bank Numbers
Argos Polish
" Spears
" Toes

Here you should be nearing halfway to apprentice
There is a quicker single quest that will get you here but I dont know if I can talk about that quest.
And it might have been nerfed, not sure.

Once here .... dont grow more yet ... either find a nice benefactor that will give you 500 plats (or so)
Or go to Kalaman and LoD (careful mobs auto attack) ..... Drakemere (careful of forest and path)
and other hunting grounds and gather loot and run to the nearest store. The reason now? As far as I remember
bellow apprentice in size allows you to have infinite run time. You dont fatigue. They could have changed this.
But I did on several guys run over 1000 plats worth of loot from those areas in days. There might not be as
much loot on the ground as before though. Not sure.

Also, a nice wiz compendium that took the players these places ... and showed them how the map works might help
new players start to visualize the layout of genesis. Special boats. Or modes of transport that took them thru
the areas while showing where they were traveling in the maps. This visual might induce further comprehension
of the layout of these simple areas far better than someone just zipping them there in a team.

I could go further into detail about which quests and skills are needed first to greatly increase your fun
and lessen your frustration. But I dont know how hard we want this and how 'easy'. I get told all the time
it needs to be harder .... I dont agree but will try to avoid to much info on how to grow.

P.S. Why did I leave out the Enchanter quests? ... Unless changed, they are much easier as a fully guilded merc
with full skills than as a cadet. But that might be a tall order for a new player to get sup guru skills as a merc :)
And again I would tell you newbies but it might make it too easy and you wont be prepared for the long grind to myth
and beyond.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/