Random Pieces of Wisdom

Need help with quests? Maybe just some advice on which guilds to choose? This is the forum for you. Note that you must be a validated player to view this forum. (Note: Quest help should come in the form of helpful suggestions/hints, but not direct solutions/walkthrough info.)
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Zhar
Wizard

Re: Random Pieces of Wisdom

Post by Zhar » 08 Apr 2014 17:15

Random advice: "kn", "eb" and "t" are three aliases that have always been a staple for all my characters. I feel lost without them and they are among the ones most used by me. I advice every new player to make such aliases too (they don't have to be named like mine). They stand for "knock on gate", "enter bushes" and "enter tent" respectively.

And some trivia:

Did you know that you can "whisper to team" and it will whisper everyone at once?

Did you know that you can "buy tickets for team" even when alone? This way you don't have to have different aliases for teams/mounts/solo when boarding ships.
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

Keltar
Wanderer

Post by Keltar » 21 May 2014 17:34

To help me somewhat I have an alias so that all 'quest commands' are run at once and I can see at glance if something may be done in the location. Or there are non-obvious exits
e.g. alias q push, pull, enter, climb, swim, dive, break etc.
I add more as I go along and encounter new stuff

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 21 May 2014 17:49

And, just so you know, some wizards have existed who didn't like this "brute force" approach to questing, and have commands respond with the standard "What?" if they are tried without further verbage. So, don't rely on this method to always give you reliable information on whether certain commands work in a given room.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Keltar
Wanderer

Post by Keltar » 21 May 2014 21:20

gorboth wrote:And, just so you know, some wizards have existed who didn't like this "brute force" approach to questing, and have commands respond with the standard "What?" if they are tried without further verbage. So, don't rely on this method to always give you reliable information on whether certain commands work in a given room.

G.
I am aware of that, 'brute force' is just the beginning, afterwards standard exa/search.
However I would expect that after examining there would be something like you can <climb> xxx or a text similar to 'you think that xxx can be climbed' etc.
So, when I type climb, the reply is What? but then I can type climb xxx and I can go on.

Sometimes, since english is my second language, the required commands are hard to figure out although they may be easy for a native speaker. And examining the object does not produce any hints as to what the proper command shall be.

Ydred
Veteran

Post by Ydred » 30 Aug 2014 04:02

gorboth wrote:And, just so you know, some wizards have existed who didn't like this "brute force" approach to questing, and have commands respond with the standard "What?" if they are tried without further verbage. So, don't rely on this method to always give you reliable information on whether certain commands work in a given room.

G.
This always made me look more. When a player told me that you lose qxps for doing stuff 'wrong' then to me it implied that if you intuitively guess something before you should then you would lose xps. So I would always search more to make sure that I wouldnt miss some key aspect and lose xps. Probably why I hate questing so much. How do you know which part you correctly surmise crosses negatively with which part the wizard thinks to be unpossible? I still dont know which brute force aspects I could leave out.

I know for sure if you pick up quest items from areas they dont normal exist in ... you will lose qxps in alot of cases when you use those items to complete a quest. IE. Solamnia Broadsword ... dont buy from AH and give it to knight ... to me was always very base (and assumed only the worst of us) since the game should be fluid, imho. But important as sometimes it can cost you.

Another form of brute force was learned while in the Tower .... a certain cleaning task given .... and a certain 'lick all' command given ... as the King enter the room. Poor Ugleplect ... Or poor apprentice ... I was never sure ... but I had my own that didnt back fire.

Ydred
Veteran

Post by Ydred » 30 Aug 2014 05:18

When you first start genesis.
Look at these maps : www.thecrossbearercorporation.com/websites/genesismaps/

1. Set up a macro ..... btb .. buy ticket;board .. this will save you tons of minutes missing a boat cause you didnt type buy ticket;board fast enough
Also sellall .... empty pack;sell weapons;sell armours
gafc ... get all from first corpse;get all from second corpse;get all from third corpse;get all from fourth corpse;keep unusual items;keep peculiar items;keep exotic items;put unworn items in pack;put unwielded items in pack (this will keep you from selling goods you can barter for a lot (relative to your size) of money)

2. Travel to these Quest Masters first .... Do not try to do all quests. Only These.

Bunny Isle
Sparkle : Help The Dwarf King .. North Sparkle

Sparkle Docks : All you can til ink and book signing (will give you some gold)
Solace(Tarashir) : 8 tours.
Pelargir(Carastur) : 1-3 tours.
Minas Tirith(Hunthor) : 1-4 tours.
Faerie Tours : 1-7 tours.
Gelan Tours
Gelan Bank Numbers
Argos Polish
" Spears
" Toes

Here you should be nearing halfway to apprentice
There is a quicker single quest that will get you here but I dont know if I can talk about that quest.
And it might have been nerfed, not sure.

Once here .... dont grow more yet ... either find a nice benefactor that will give you 500 plats (or so)
Or go to Kalaman and LoD (careful mobs auto attack) ..... Drakemere (careful of forest and path)
and other hunting grounds and gather loot and run to the nearest store. The reason now? As far as I remember
bellow apprentice in size allows you to have infinite run time. You dont fatigue. They could have changed this.
But I did on several guys run over 1000 plats worth of loot from those areas in days. There might not be as
much loot on the ground as before though. Not sure.

Also, a nice wiz compendium that took the players these places ... and showed them how the map works might help
new players start to visualize the layout of genesis. Special boats. Or modes of transport that took them thru
the areas while showing where they were traveling in the maps. This visual might induce further comprehension
of the layout of these simple areas far better than someone just zipping them there in a team.

I could go further into detail about which quests and skills are needed first to greatly increase your fun
and lessen your frustration. But I dont know how hard we want this and how 'easy'. I get told all the time
it needs to be harder .... I dont agree but will try to avoid to much info on how to grow.

P.S. Why did I leave out the Enchanter quests? ... Unless changed, they are much easier as a fully guilded merc
with full skills than as a cadet. But that might be a tall order for a new player to get sup guru skills as a merc :)
And again I would tell you newbies but it might make it too easy and you wont be prepared for the long grind to myth
and beyond.

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 12 Oct 2014 01:40

@Ydred:

First of all, it should be "buy tickets for team" instead of "buy ticket". Will save you a lot of hassle when you're leading a team, have a mount etc. (and it works if you're running solo too)
Second of all, make those commands separate. There are times (rare as they are) when you suddenly change your mind about boarding the ship even after buying the tickets - like a friend walking in and you still have time to say "Hi" and be social before going off on your way. ;)
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/