Recoverable items suddenly no longer glowing?

Need help with quests? Maybe just some advice on which guilds to choose? This is the forum for you. Note that you must be a validated player to view this forum. (Note: Quest help should come in the form of helpful suggestions/hints, but not direct solutions/walkthrough info.)
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Tullus
Novice

Recoverable items suddenly no longer glowing?

Post by Tullus » 15 Mar 2015 09:03

I started playing this past week, and I am greatly enjoying this amazing game.

I just logged in to the game, and now I've found that my recoverable weapon and armor are no longer recoverable (they're no longer glowing when I type "save". They are all in prime condition, and have been with me through several sessions (one of the items is the ornate shortsword I got from the tutorial after buying the man i the tavern a beer). I can't figure out what happened. I know Armageddan came earlier today, could that have something to do with it?

As a Newbie, I've found it hard to find information regarding a couple of things. Especially in regards to creating triggers-- I play through my browser and most of the people I ask on the newbie chat line seem to play through cmud or other clients. (On that subject, I think the newbie guides suggested in other threads are a great idea!)

My thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Creed

Re: Recoverable items suddenly no longer glowing?

Post by Creed » 15 Mar 2015 09:15

You are right.

Armageddon cleans up the game and resets a lot of items.
This process makes just about all items stop saving/lasting.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 15 Mar 2015 14:48

Tullus wrote: As a Newbie, I've found it hard to find information regarding a couple of things. Especially in regards to creating triggers-- I play through my browser and most of the people I ask on the newbie chat line seem to play through cmud or other clients. (On that subject, I think the newbie guides suggested in other threads are a great idea!)
What did you feel was missing regarding triggers on the guide section on the webpage?

Tullus
Novice

Post by Tullus » 23 Mar 2015 06:06

Cherek wrote: What did you feel was missing regarding triggers on the guide section on the webpage?
The webpage gives a nice example, but it doesn't explain how the pattern box works, what color names are available, etc. I discovered how to do things through extrapolation and experimentation. In the last few days, I've seen the same question repeated and have helped other newbies learn to color code text over the ntell line twice. Unless one codes (I assume), it's not obvious. And with more players joining from the Google Play link (like I did), I think you'll have more players using the browser client.

For an example of how some players struggle, here's the conversation I had on the ntell line earlier today:
<Newbie> Nican: Hello everyone. I am looking for ways to better understand the world around me. Is there a recommended list of ways to color our vision?
<Newbie> Iceman(+): what?
<Newbie> Iceman(+): explain
<Newbie> Nican: Trying not to break any rules here, but I recall seeing on the guide a way to accent the possible exits in a room.
<Newbie> Skarr(+): Are you using the official client?
<Newbie> Nican: I was wondering if there was a broader list of ways that travellers have found it easier to get around.
<Newbie> Nican: Yes.
<Newbie> Skarr(+): I suggest heading over to the official forums then.
<Newbie> Skarr(+): Personally I've never used the official client so can't help you with that.
<Newbie> Tullus: Nican, I can help, a little.
<Newbie> Skarr(+): But there are many people in the forums who use it.
<Newbie> Tullus: I figured out how to color exits, dialogue, etc., using the browser client, if that's what you're looking for.
<Newbie> Nican: Okay, I can look around there. Just wanted to make sure I didn't miss an obvious official guide or anything.
<Newbie> Nican: I think I get the drift of how to do it, just didn't want to reinvent the wheel unecessarily. I will look through that resource. Thank you everyone.
<Newbie> Tullus: If you have specific questions, I may be able to help, so feel free to ask if I'm still logged in.
<Newbie> Nican: Thank you Tullus! Is there a way I can reach you specifically?
<Newbie> Iceman(+): tullus
<Newbie> Iceman(+): can you talk to me too?
<Newbie> Tullus: It's not too complicated - I can explain over Newbie chat and we won't be breaking any rules, I think.
<Newbie> Iceman(+): yes you can
<Newbie> Iceman(+): im sure of it
<Newbie> Skarr(+): Go ahead.
<Newbie> Iceman(+): just so im clear
<Newbie> Iceman(+): can you do this in web browser?
<Newbie> Iceman(+): do you have to download anything?
<Newbie> Tullus: No. Following the guide on the webpage, click the settings button, then the "triggers" tab...
<Newbie> Tullus: Select "regexp" for trigger type, then type in the pattern box a word you want to be the "trigger" that colors a block of text.
<Newbie> Tullus: If you follow the example from the website, typing "obvious exits" (without the quoations) into the pattern box will color any line of text with the phrase "obvious exits" in it.
<Newbie> Riedran: tullus do you know if there is a way to permenatly dispay the map?
<Newbie> Iceman(+): no
<Newbie> Tullus: After typing your trigger word or phrase into the "pattern" box, copy and paste the javascript from the guide on the website, replacing the color with whatever color you like. Remember, you can use html color codes (here's a link to a good tool for finding these: http://html-color-codes.info/ ).
<Newbie> Tullus: Before you save, make sure to select the "Javascript" toggle just above the option to save.

<Newbie> Tullus: Also, be careful using common words or common parts of words for triggers, because that could end up coloring way more text than you want.

<Newbie> Iceman(+): tullus
<Newbie> Iceman(+): how do you start the command line?
<Newbie> Iceman(+): i know how to find the code
<Newbie> Iceman(+): but how does the rest of it go?
<Newbie> Iceman(+): do you have the instructions

<Newbie> Tullus: For example, I decided to color all spoken dialogue in the game "skyblue". To do so, I created triggers with the patterns "say", "ask", "boom" (for ogres), and "sing" (for elves). However, the word "sing" is also a part of many other words (collapsing, passing, etc.), and "ask" is the same way ("task" for example). This isn't too distracting, because it doesn't happen too often that a room description or something else triggers as if it were dialogue, but it does happen.
<Newbie> Tullus: Iceman, if you're on the browser client, you click the "Settings" button in the lower right hand corner.

<Newbie> Iceman(+): i nkow
<Newbie> Iceman(+): i just need the things to put in the trigger window other than the code
<Newbie> Iceman(+): how do you start the java document?
<Newbie> Skarr(+): You can simply create the pattern by adding a semicolon at the end. eg. "says:"
<Newbie> Skarr(+): This should get rid of it highlighting parts you don't want it to highlight
<Newbie> Nican: Also, if you're using regex, you should be able to filter things more exactly. I'm not sure how this one parses, but there are lots of guides to making regex strings online.
<Newbie> Tullus: The only thing I type in the trigger window is the code: "gwc.output.color("skyblue");" where you can replace "skyblue" with any other color or html color code. Selecting "javascript" before you save should make it work.

<Newbie> Iceman(+): there you go
<Newbie> Iceman(+): thats what i was looking for
<Newbie> Hanto(+): There is a brief how-to guide for the webclient on the Genesis webpage if you'd like a written reference.
<Newbie> Iceman(+): ok
<Newbie> Hanto(+): Under the 'basics' heading I think
<Newbie> Iceman(+): thanks guys
<Newbie> Tullus: No prob.

<Newbie> Iceman(+): i got the code up
<Newbie> Iceman(+): everything plays out
<Newbie> Iceman(+): but it doesnt work

<Newbie> Tullus: What was your pattern?
<Newbie> Iceman(+): the same as yorus

<Newbie> Iceman(+): i typed obvious exits
<Newbie> Iceman(+): in the trigger box
<Newbie> Iceman(+): i selected the right thing

<Newbie> Iceman(+): (regexp)
<Newbie> Tullus: You need to type "obvious exits" (without the quotes) in the Pattern Box, not the Trigger Box.
<Newbie> Iceman(+): i did
<Newbie> Tullus: But you may want to do what the Genesis web page guide says, and type "obvious (?:exit|exits)" in the pattern box instead, so that it will still trigger if there is only one exit.
<Newbie> Iceman(+): ok
<Newbie> Iceman(+): let me try it out
<Newbie> Tullus: Also, make sure to select Javascript at the bottom before you save.
<Newbie> Iceman(+): i did
<Newbie> Tullus: And make sure the "Case Insensitive Match" box is not checked.
<Newbie> Iceman(+): not checked
<Newbie> Iceman(+): still not working
<Newbie> Tullus: Here's what I typed in the Trigger box: gwc.output.color("lightgreen"); Try copying and pasting that in. You can always change the color later.
<Newbie> Tullus: Make sure you get the semicolon (;), it's part of the code.

<Newbie> Iceman(+): i know
<Newbie> Iceman(+): let me try that
<Newbie> Tullus: After you've deleted what you had, then copied and pasted my code, try walking between rooms, and seeing if the obvious exits line appears light green.
<Newbie> Iceman(+): IT WORKS
<Newbie> Iceman(+): thanks man
<Newbie> Tullus: Cool, no prob. Glad it works!

Drip
Wanderer

Post by Drip » 23 Mar 2015 22:34

For people who have never touched java script before, (me) long aliases and triggers are hopeless.
Is there links to "copy-and-paste" codes we can use?
^like everything is already working and just replacing certain things then pasting it into the game.
(if you don't understand what I've written, assume I have bad wording)

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/