Quest issue

Need help with quests? Maybe just some advice on which guilds to choose? This is the forum for you. Note that you must be a validated player to view this forum. (Note: Quest help should come in the form of helpful suggestions/hints, but not direct solutions/walkthrough info.)
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Manglor
Rising Hero

Quest issue

Post by Manglor » 15 Jan 2016 22:02

I've noticed that there are still quests that rely on randomness to make them 'difficult.' Case in point, the wolf bones in Sybarus quest. One particular bone, in a very obscure bedding, is utterly random. You can search the bed for the bone once in a while, and find a bone, but it's almost guaranteed to not be the one you need. Without this bone and several others, you can't complete the quest.

It's 2016. Questing for brute should have been gone long ago. Why do we still have to deal with this?

Irk
Rising Hero

Re: Quest issue

Post by Irk » 15 Jan 2016 22:55

Manglor wrote:I've noticed that there are still quests that rely on randomness to make them 'difficult.' Case in point, the wolf bones in Sybarus quest. One particular bone, in a very obscure bedding, is utterly random. You can search the bed for the bone once in a while, and find a bone, but it's almost guaranteed to not be the one you need. Without this bone and several others, you can't complete the quest.

It's 2016. Questing for brute should have been gone long ago. Why do we still have to deal with this?
because it is awesome :D It is one g the finest thing in this game :) The more effort you put the more profit you get :D

Manglor
Rising Hero

Post by Manglor » 15 Jan 2016 23:04

Irk wrote:
Manglor wrote:I've noticed that there are still quests that rely on randomness to make them 'difficult.' Case in point, the wolf bones in Sybarus quest. One particular bone, in a very obscure bedding, is utterly random. You can search the bed for the bone once in a while, and find a bone, but it's almost guaranteed to not be the one you need. Without this bone and several others, you can't complete the quest.

because it is awesome :D It is one g the finest thing in this game :) The more effort you put the more profit you get :D

Or, you know, be told by a certain wizard that "now is a great time to make a new character" because the wizards changed the qxp modifier, resulting in no small way to the mega myths we have now. That's the kind of profit I can get behind.

Mirandus
Site Admin

Post by Mirandus » 15 Jan 2016 23:04

Thanks for the report Manglor,

I'll take a look at this quest. I'm of the opinion quests should rely on one's ability to follow
the clues and solve the puzzle, not on luck or guessing weird syntax.

I'll see what I can do.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 16 Jan 2016 01:51

Manglor: I have finished that quest a few times as a mortal, and I have never experienced the issues you're mentioning. I've always liked the quest, and the ending in particular. A quite beautiful story. Are you certain you are looking at the right spots?

That said there are many quests that can become better and be more logical, and there is work being done about that. Currently in Calia, Krynn and Sparkle. Some quests have already changed to provide more logical hints and less odd syntaxes.

The brute system has discussed plenty of times, some like it, some dont, and the possible replacements are many should we consider anything system. Just removing brute would turn Genesis into a game where the only way to progress is though grind, and if you're gonna become big, often automated grind. I personally don't feel that is the way to go. Could we make quests useful but optional? Probably, but it would most likely be a massive project as well.

About your comment on the quest XP multiplier issue, it's something that happened... 15 years ago? At least? The rumours surrounding it are many, and regardless how it happened, or who was at fault, today it affects a TINY part of the population, and the majority of mega myths do NOT benefit from anything like that, and have grinded their way up there just like anyone else. Also, if you finish all quests you can almost nullify that benefit anyway since there now is a quest XP cap.

Yes, there is still a benefit, but in reality today, it only means that the very few people who still have this multiplier does not have to finish as many quests as the others. At myth level compered to someone else who has finished all quests, the benefit is very small. Also, there are downsides to this as well. If you actually enjoy solving quests, there will be no use as they will offer no reward for you once you hit the cap, also, you will have no benefit from quest XP gained in events, making participating a lot less rewarding and fun. So if this is a blessing or curse probably depends on who you ask. Anyways, like I said, a very small part of the current population are affected. I think the rumours surrounding it affects people more, than the actual effect.

Zestana
Expert

Post by Zestana » 16 Jan 2016 04:24

Mirandus wrote:Thanks for the report Manglor,

I'll take a look at this quest. I'm of the opinion quests should rely on one's ability to follow

I'll see what I can do.
There is no issue with the quest. He's looking in the wrong place for the bones.

Manglor
Rising Hero

Post by Manglor » 16 Jan 2016 15:14

Zestana wrote:
Mirandus wrote:Thanks for the report Manglor,

I'll see what I can do.
There is no issue with the quest. He's looking in the wrong place for the bones.
Bad quest doc is bad.

Manglor
Rising Hero

Post by Manglor » 16 Jan 2016 15:15

Cherek wrote:About your comment on the quest XP multiplier issue, it's something that happened... 15 years ago? At least? The rumours surrounding it are many, and regardless how it happened, or who was at fault, today it affects a TINY part of the population, and the majority of mega myths do NOT benefit from anything like that, and have grinded their way up there just like anyone else. Also, if you finish all quests you can almost nullify that benefit anyway since there now is a quest XP cap.
Can't I just complain about having to quest and use this as justification to my whining? :( /sigh

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 17 Jan 2016 17:06

You can whine all you want, and I agree there are quests that aren't logical, and there's definitely room for improvement in the quest system in general.

Like Zestana says though, I dont think anything is broken with the wolf bone quest, except your quest doc.:)

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/