Saving Items -- While Questing

Need help with quests? Maybe just some advice on which guilds to choose? This is the forum for you. Note that you must be a validated player to view this forum. (Note: Quest help should come in the form of helpful suggestions/hints, but not direct solutions/walkthrough info.)
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Kitriana
Champion

Saving Items -- While Questing

Post by Kitriana » 15 May 2017 20:19

So .. I've been seeing in a repeatable fashion the same comments coming from people who have tried Genesis but get frustrated by 2 points.

1) Equipment that doesn't save. Which I can fairly comfortably explain the reasons. And so while the reasons and explanations might not suit others... at least I feel like there is a valid reason for it in the Genesis World. And Gorboth has already taken steps to indoctrinate.. err I mean teach newbies in the Tutorial with Tutorial Guild that has a rack system. See my previous note on the subject.

2) Items that don't save on you for questing purposes. This could be anything from a rope, a key, some intestines, worms, a bucket, etc.. etc.. And the fact that you lose these items when you log out. I really don't understand the why on this one. And this is something that can be seriously frustrating for a player whose time on Genesis comes in spurts. So they may not have hours to spend figuring out a quest.. where perhaps the syntax has baffled them. And they have spent 20 minutes collecting different items only to have to exit the game. And then come back to find those items gone with the need to start from scratch on their quest. This is something that can make questing even more frustrating than it sometimes already is .. and this is speaking from someone who LOVES questing. So .. what is the reasoning behind this? And Is this something we could alter?
If something I wrote sounds confusing ... assume you misunderstood it.

gorboth
Site Admin

Re: Saving Items -- While Questing

Post by gorboth » 15 May 2017 20:47

I very much agree with you on #2. When I have coded quests I often make items like that save on the player (like the tablets in the torque quest, or the flute in the Orc Dungeons) but most quests in the game are not set up like that. The game does not have a "quest_item" tag, which is what would be needed. It would require going through every quest in the game and adding that tag to all items we wanted to have it. That would be a lot of work, but it could be done.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 15 May 2017 20:51

How long is link death before you get booted? 2hrs?
Might be a band aid for the situation, advise them just LD don't quit.

Hold on wait, did you code Torque ?
If so did you receive my praises messages?
#bestQuestEva!
http://genesisquests.pbworks.com/
Join up and help each other with Quests :)

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 16 May 2017 16:59

Tarax the Terrible wrote:How long is link death before you get booted? 2hrs?
Might be a band aid for the situation, advise them just LD don't quit.

Hold on wait, did you code Torque ?
If so did you receive my praises messages?
#bestQuestEva!
I am not even sure new players understand linkdeath at all, and that it can be done on purpose? It's explained in the tutorial, but I think perhaps we can explain it better, so they understand it's not mainly used to keep you in the game if you lose connection, but that it is a very integral part of Genesis gameplay that can, and should, be used to take breaks while playing.

I once suggested we introduce a <sleep> command. Perhaps that could work? All it does is giving linkdeath an in-gaming command that disconnects you. But just like <quit> you can't do it if you still got adrenaline from a fight. We could also experiment with making it longer than 2 hours possibly? Making linkdeath more a part of the game by giving it a logical command, and possible extending the time might be quite helpful for frustrated new players who are annoyed by losing both normal EQ and quest stuff as soon as they want to take a break.

The sleep command would also ensure that you ARE linkdead when you think you are. The amount of deaths from people who thought they were LD must be in the thousands by now.:)

Kitriana
Champion

Post by Kitriana » 16 May 2017 17:03

I definitely like this <sleep> command idea.
If something I wrote sounds confusing ... assume you misunderstood it.

Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 16 May 2017 20:50

Ditto.. Nice idea!
Don't like the name tho cus..
U don't recover health or fatigue or mana when LD do you?
And other lesser muds use rest and sleep cmds for recovery.

I'd prefer something like <voidwalk> heh

Plus echo to the game stuff like funny players occasionally say.
"Aarrrrrraaaahhhhh!! I'm melting, I'm melting!!!
Etc etc

I think G would be okay with longer LD cus it would boost player figures. Heheh
Cus most of us used LD to quit outside a start location, still not used to/aware of this ur stuff saves anywhere mechanic.

Ps So that's what adrenalin is, noticed it but didn't put two and two together till reading this.
http://genesisquests.pbworks.com/
Join up and help each other with Quests :)

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/