New Area tips - Ghastly Keep

Need help with quests? Maybe just some advice on which guilds to choose? This is the forum for you. Note that you must be a validated player to view this forum. (Note: Quest help should come in the form of helpful suggestions/hints, but not direct solutions/walkthrough info.)
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Tarax the Terrible
Myth

New Area tips - Ghastly Keep

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 21 May 2017 13:24

I have tried to find out much in game but things like this you often leap frog in useful knowledge when you talk to someone who knows. So here is as good a place as any to discuss and share tips with others who might be in the dark.

EDIT: I appreciated the feedback from Thalric so changing the structure a bit.

I take a bit of an attitude to Gen info as I do for games like Hearthstone and DOTA.
I'd would rather know as much info as possible then get my kicks from theory crafting and trying different strategies.
But Genesis is of course unique, and there are a lot of kicks to be had for exploring and finding out information for yourself. If you feel that way then this might be a spoiler.

What is it: A new neutral grinder for legends and myth types in Terel. Similar in difficulty and reward to Terel Trolls but it is bigger. A team of titanish players could try it and report how they get on.. (Tho they would probably get rekt)

Where is it: Northwest area from corner stone, non obvious exit from room there. Very close to the frost giants cave if you know where that is.

Experience: very good/excellent, the top level can be soloed a lot easier than mithas quali or icewall could giving good exps. Plenty there for bigger teams too.

Rest could contain Spoilers..!

Layout: Outside is a guy frozen to the ground, you enter in a room with a spider. On that level there is about 12 rooms with mobs, some have fewer in them so are easier if you are solo. From one of the rooms to the south there is an exit down to a bigger level but you cannot pass the barrier to it at first.

Light: dark rooms so bring a light source, the mobs can see in the dark

Mobs: undead type tho not sure if they are all undeads. There are ghosts, sentry's and sentinels and apparitions can spawn when you kill the others. The mobs are aggressive when you enter the room but don't block or hunt that I have seen.

Tanking: It is difficult to tank, will hurt myths. Even when you are not seeing yourself get battered and bruised by normal attacks, actually very few normal attacks cause you much visible damage. There are however unseen forces damaging your health, the apparitions appear to be the worst for this and should perhaps be focused first. Note on one instance I did see my health continue to drop after leaving the room, but it was only a tiny amount. If you wimpy and run to a safe room you will survive.
They do not appear to damage anyone other than the tank with these forces.
They don't have the big damage on re entry anti bounce special that some in Terel do.

How quickly will a big team run out of mobs: Unknown but from what someone said elsewhere on the forum their might be a lot more scope for continuous killing here than in many other places?

Loot: very bad, no coins or gems on the mobs, no equipment drops worth selling, just left as trash

Quest: collect ghastly tears which the mobs can drop on death, give them to Mr Ice Lolly outside. I don't know the exact number cus he doesn't tell you. You can only give him tears for mobs you killed personally.

Access to lower level: I think this is granted by collecting ghastly tears, I couldn't go there at start but could later even tho quest wasn't complete.

Current unknowns:
How many tears for quest? Does the total have to be reached in one log in?
Does alcohol have negative effect on tanking?
What do ghastly stones do, seen these dropped don't know their use? Can't seem to hold them like some other stones.
Any way to add resistance versus unseen forces, I guess stone skin etc would work, anything else?
Not sure if they switch to weaker team members like terel trolls do, making it bad for unbalanced teams to go there?

Other tips?
Last edited by Tarax the Terrible on 21 May 2017 21:18, edited 5 times in total.
http://genesisquests.pbworks.com/
Join up and help each other with Quests :)

Thalric
Rising Hero

Re: New Area tips - Ghastly Keep

Post by Thalric » 21 May 2017 14:22

Do you really think information should be shared like this?

It gives me the feel of a standard MMO walkthrough of where to go and what to do. Doesn't seem very Genesis-like.
Has exploration left the building with all the new people that arrived?

Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 21 May 2017 14:32

Yes. I do at least, if admin disagrees then remove the post pls.

Here is why I posted this.
One - there have been instances in the past when a new super grinder appears and no announcement made. Leaving people with a hot line to the wizard involved with a big playground to themselves. OK Gorboth covered that base with his post about it being open, but I'm just in favour of giving those not in the know a helping hand up.
Two - the first thing a returning player wants to know is what significant new quests and areas there are for them to check out. This rates as one of those.

Cerin
Wanderer

Post by Cerin » 21 May 2017 14:40

Thalric wrote:Do you really think information should be shared like this?

It gives me the feel of a standard MMO walkthrough of where to go and what to do. Doesn't seem very Genesis-like.
Has exploration left the building with all the new people that arrived?
What exploration? The one where you navigate your skype contacts and a file is sent to you? :lol:

Pretty sure its been like this since.. early 2000's? Its not new, just the platform in which its delivered has changed. And I support it, too many times things open and something is taken advantage of. Because no information is shared generally something is abused by a small group.

All information should be shared.

Thalric
Rising Hero

Post by Thalric » 21 May 2017 15:17

I agree with your thoughts on the why..

But I would personally prefer it to be only "What, where and experience", leaving the rest for people to discover for themselves.

Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 21 May 2017 17:20

Thalric wrote:I agree with your thoughts on the why..

But I would personally prefer it to be only "What, where and experience", leaving the rest for people to discover for themselves.
I will re organise it and put the rest under a spoilers warning then.

Writing one for Anorien keep at the minute. Has extra cool info but will put it in spoilers.

Thalric
Rising Hero

Post by Thalric » 21 May 2017 17:30

Do what you prefer Tarax.

I am just expressing my opinion. :)

Mortis

Post by Mortis » 21 May 2017 19:48

If you don't want to see information on components of the game, then freely don't read it.

Nice work, Tarax.

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 21 May 2017 22:23

And - just so there are no doubts - Znagsnuf and I carefully monitored the opening of this area. There were zero "free hints" given out to players. A few players swarmed the area for an entire weekend working hard to dig all the secrets out of it. It took them about 4 days to do so, and then they became common knowledge among that group of friends.

Wizard leaks were not in any way attached to their early success - just good hard work and single-mindedness on their part.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 21 May 2017 22:56

Very glad to have the new area!
And it was a fantastic example of a new area release done well.

Great work by Znagsnuf and the Arches, TY

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/