So you want to grow large and powerful?

Need help with quests? Maybe just some advice on which guilds to choose? This is the forum for you. Note that you must be a validated player to view this forum. (Note: Quest help should come in the form of helpful suggestions/hints, but not direct solutions/walkthrough info.)
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
nils
Titan

So you want to grow large and powerful?

Post by nils » 14 Jun 2017 17:53

Assertion: I can never get as big as BigBadPlayer.
Fact: You can. BigBadPlayer, along with every other character in Genesis, suffers
from the same cap on quest experience as you and I. Given that you’ve spent the
same successful amount of time questing, the difference between you and
BigBadPlayer is PURELY time spent grinding.

Assertion: There are characters out there who have more quest experience than
is possible to achieve even if one finishes 100% of the quests available.
Fact: True, but not nearly as important as you think. While there was a dark
moment in Genesis where some technical cheat turbo boosted some players’
reward on quests finished, this is why the cap was introduced and we end up at the same conclusion; The difference between you and BigBadPlayer is time spent grinding.

Assertion: I have to do 100% of the quests to be able to compete with BigBadPlayer
Fact: Hell no, you can achieve it doing 0% of the quests. It would simply take
a lot longer. For this document not to be a Masters’ Thesis on the technicalities
of Genesis, just heed these words: You can never not get combat experience.
Even though your brute is at extremely violent, you still get a percentage (higher
than you might think) of experience gained through combat.

You stop with your inane assertions and start asking questions instead.

Question: But Nils, how?
Answer: Ok, a couple facts
If you’ve been a good problem solver and done all the quests available in Genesis
you should be a veteran in close range of the mortal level expert at extremely
pacifistic. BigBadPlayer will be too if he killed himself over and over. The path
before you: expert, rising hero, hero, titan, champion, legend, myth, BigBadPlayer.
Better start grinding!

If you press on at the “plateau” around hero/titan, you should really start to notice
things slowing down at champion-legend as your brute slowly increases to somewhat
violent-violent range. If you hit legend as somewhat violent you’ve done quite a lot
of quests. If so – good job.

So you’re legend and violent. Congratulations – what a feat! BigBadPlayer was legend
and violent too. Now comes the (really) hard part, and that is the grind from legend to myth.

It will basically take you 35 fantastic progress to get from legend to myth. One fantastic,
with proper gear, some luck, good friends, minimal travel and otherwise uninterrupted
grind will take 8-12 hours of your life. Yes, you heard me.

You will have to grind, every day, for 8-12 hours for 35 days. As you grow, it will be
closer and closer to 12 hours.

So you’re myth and very violent. Better than extremely violent, but still – pretty brutal.
It will take you about 1,5-2 fantas for every average point in increase. BigBadPlayer has
about 80-150 more fantastics since turning myth. Yes, that’s 80-150 fantastic progress,
with ever increasing length between tiny and fantastic – not because of brute, but
because of sheer size!

DO YOU REALLY STILL THINK THIS HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH HIS QUEST EXPERIENCE?
Ofcourse you don’t. That would be silly.

Question: Ok, ok, I can make due with my 80% quest experience. Is it feasible to do
manually?
Answer: Yes, but mostly no. Efficient grinding on genesis in 2017 requires automation.
I’ve written about it here: https://www.genesismud.org/forums/viewt ... =14&t=4028.

Question: What equipment should I use? Which areas should I grind? What guilds should
I join? How should I focus my stats?
Answer: That’s for us to know, and if we’re feeling magnanimous, share voluntarily, but
mostly for you to find out. That part, my friend, is playing the game. And I admit, a difficult
one too.

Question: Ok, I’ll play the game and figure shit out. But tell me this - How long will it take, realistically?
Answer: Depends on your dedication, pace of learning etc. For a player who has done it all
before, growing a character to myth is reasonably doable within a month or two if you don’t
have grown up shit to do like a job, children etc. For a new player to become myth, I’d
realistically say around a year – maybe two. That said, Avatar spent 20+ years, so
go figure.

Question: WHAT ABOUT SUPERMYTH?
Answer: Realistically? A couple more years.

Question: I saw SmallerBaddishPlayer defeat BigBadPlayer. How did that happen?
Answer: It’s about preparation, guild combinations, skill, luck – and you know what?
The most powerful guilds in Genesis require roleplay. Yes, roleplay will get you powerful too.

Question: But I roleplay in Spa..
Answer: Shut up. You only think you do.

Edit1: Typo
Edit2: Added missing piece of information
Last edited by nils on 14 Jun 2017 22:29, edited 2 times in total.
Nil Mortifi Sine Lucre

Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Re: So you want to grow large and powerful?

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 14 Jun 2017 18:19

Nice one.
http://genesisquests.pbworks.com/
Join up and help each other with Quests :)

Hektor
Veteran

Post by Hektor » 14 Jun 2017 19:44

Brilliant note
Lawful evil - conform or die.

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 14 Jun 2017 21:52

This one is worth being a sticky.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 15 Jun 2017 00:29

Pretty much nailed it there.
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

Mim
Rising Hero

Post by Mim » 15 Jun 2017 23:20

nils wrote: The most powerful guilds in Genesis require roleplay. Yes, roleplay will get you powerful too.
Maybe. But player(s) in the most powerful guild(s) in Genesis do sometimes not roleplay at all.
RP is mostly a very subjective thing, and RP from one players perspective is pure crap from another players perspective.

Still, a very good post Nils.
Cap off.

Arman
Wizard

Post by Arman » 16 Jun 2017 05:19

RP shouldn't be a guild balance consideration. Definitely hasn't been for any guilds i have worked on, including those who put a focus on roleplay.

And I would argue that those guilds who THINK they are superior-entitled-role players should have a real hard think about whether they are actually promoting tired cookie cutter stereotypes from last century Genesis.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 17 Jun 2017 15:49

Arman wrote:RP shouldn't be a guild balance consideration. Definitely hasn't been for any guilds i have worked on, including those who put a focus on roleplay.

And I would argue that those guilds who THINK they are superior-entitled-role players should have a real hard think about whether they are actually promoting tired cookie cutter stereotypes from last century Genesis.
I completely agree.

While some guilds have always been "RP-heavy", others have been more or less RP-focused depending on members and leadership, and in the end it is always up to the players to decide how to RP a guild, and how serious they are about it. So no, RP should definitely not be taken into consideration when balancing guilds, and as far as I know it's has not been a factor when balancing for a long time. If it ever was? Perhaps it was in the early days of Genesis? Or maybe this is simply an old rumour that at some point became "the truth" for many?

Anyway, good note Nils. Very interesting read!

Dread
Great Adventurer

Post by Dread » 17 Jun 2017 22:23

Cherek wrote:So no, RP should definitely not be taken into consideration when balancing guilds, and as far as I know it's has not been a factor when balancing for a long time. If it ever was? Perhaps it was in the early days of Genesis? Or maybe this is simply an old rumour that at some point became "the truth" for many?
Wow. Just... wow. Are you truly this oblivious? Or just having some fun?

Good post Nils.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 18 Jun 2017 14:56

Dread wrote:
Cherek wrote:So no, RP should definitely not be taken into consideration when balancing guilds, and as far as I know it's has not been a factor when balancing for a long time. If it ever was? Perhaps it was in the early days of Genesis? Or maybe this is simply an old rumour that at some point became "the truth" for many?
Wow. Just... wow. Are you truly this oblivious? Or just having some fun?

Good post Nils.
Instead of mocking me, feel free to disagree and tell us what you know? If you were a wizard in the past, or even in the AoB, perhaps you know more about this than me? Just because I have been a wizard the last couple of years I don't magically know everything that ever happened in soon 30 years of Genesis history.:) Which is why I said "as far as I know".

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/