Freeing the prisoner of the Misty Mountain trolls

Need help with quests? Maybe just some advice on which guilds to choose? This is the forum for you. Note that you must be a validated player to view this forum. (Note: Quest help should come in the form of helpful suggestions/hints, but not direct solutions/walkthrough info.)
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
sylphan
Veteran

Freeing the prisoner of the Misty Mountain trolls

Post by sylphan » 27 Oct 2018 23:06

I have completed the quest, but a friend is having a lot of trouble because she can't read the words on the mirror you get from the troll boss. She has made sure to kill the troll herself. She has made sure that it wasn't a mirror left from a previous killing. She has tried boosting mentals in various ways and - the most common advice - "spamming" the command to read the words. She tried this several times, the last time for something like 20 minutes straight. No dice. Any thoughts? Wizards, would you look into this when you have a moment?

Zugzug
Veteran

Re: Freeing the prisoner of the Misty Mountain trolls

Post by Zugzug » 28 Oct 2018 02:47

Without giving out too much info, if someone dropped something on the floor and then another person (later) tried to do something with that object (or an object with the same name) - the game engine will always try to address the object on the floor first before addressing the same-name object in your inventory.

This is why I have been trying to convince wizards to code something like avenir pack (with customizable name) but also with proper table view (like green oaks one) for a year now - because "put x in pack" will put "x" into the pack on the floor (if there is one, and not in your inventory), but alas.

To rephrase one arch - "just make sure you do what you are wanting to do to the correct object and you should be just fine".

FYI, the object isn't broken, it works, but sometimes inconsiderate people leave stuff around.

(edit: took out a spoiler)

sylphan
Veteran

Post by sylphan » 28 Oct 2018 16:41

Zugzug wrote:if someone dropped something on the floor and then another person (later) tried to do something with that object (or an object with the same name) - the game engine will always try to address the object on the floor first before addressing the same-name object in your inventory.
That is precisely what I meant when I wrote, "She has made sure that it wasn't a mirror left from a previous killing." This is not the issue, as I thought I made clear. Any ideas what else it could be?

Zugzug
Veteran

Post by Zugzug » 28 Oct 2018 20:30

sylphan wrote:
Zugzug wrote:if someone dropped something on the floor and then another person (later) tried to do something with that object (or an object with the same name) - the game engine will always try to address the object on the floor first before addressing the same-name object in your inventory.
That is precisely what I meant when I wrote, "She has made sure that it wasn't a mirror left from a previous killing." This is not the issue, as I thought I made clear. Any ideas what else it could be?
Mentals and even more importantly, language skill - there are items that raise both.

sylphan
Veteran

Post by sylphan » 30 Oct 2018 17:44

We'll try boosting language then. Thanks.

Alisa
Hero

Post by Alisa » 31 Oct 2018 00:03

sylphan wrote:We'll try boosting language then. Thanks.
Just to give info...

I have maxed language from Adventurers guilds, used an item that aids, and my mentals are quite high...

I still fail 10-15 times in a row some days.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/