Drow and Minas Tirith - latest status?

Need help with quests? Maybe just some advice on which guilds to choose? This is the forum for you. Note that you must be a validated player to view this forum. (Note: Quest help should come in the form of helpful suggestions/hints, but not direct solutions/walkthrough info.)
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Dhez
Great Adventurer

Drow and Minas Tirith - latest status?

Post by Dhez » 30 Apr 2020 17:43

So there are very conflicting anecdotes about good aligned drow being allowed into Minas Tirith. It seems some people have been able to at some point while others haven't, and it seems these things change back and forth.

Could we please get some wizard clarity as to whether or not, for example, a holy aligned drow would be able to enter Minas Tirith?

Thank you in advance.

P.S.

The reason to enter is to do wartime quests, i.e. Oats and Denethor. There are no equivalents for these in Minas Morgul.
You see a mousetrap. I see free cheese and a challenge.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Morglum
Beginner

Re: Drow and Minas Tirith - latest status?

Post by Morglum » 30 Apr 2020 23:01

Why not just go there and try it yourself? I've had no trouble getting into MM as a drow, maybe it's the same for MT. Right now all you've given here is third-hand inconclusive speculation. Go up to the gates and knock, if they won't let you in then post your align and guild affiliations (you won't be able to enter MT if you're a warlock for example, regardless of your align).

Dhez
Great Adventurer

Post by Dhez » 01 May 2020 12:01

Morglum wrote:
30 Apr 2020 23:01
Why not just go there and try it yourself? I've had no trouble getting into MM as a drow, maybe it's the same for MT. Right now all you've given here is third-hand inconclusive speculation. Go up to the gates and knock, if they won't let you in then post your align and guild affiliations (you won't be able to enter MT if you're a warlock for example, regardless of your align).
Thanks for your insight. Three possible scenarios: I run before the guards attack. I kill them and end up an outlaw, or they kill me. Even if I did successfully try to find an answer, it would still be inconclusive since it could change tomorrow yet again.

The situation has changed often in the last few years without a word of warning to players, which is why I am asking for a wizard response. The individuals I've asked are trustworthy with their anecdotes and it is not their fault the data is inconclusive.

As for your comment about Warlocks not being able to enter Minas Tirith: there was also some debate and even a post by Gorboth stating that he had removed them from the enemy list of Minas Tirith. So if I should try to enter Minas Tirith as a warlock and it wouldn't let me, I could very well use the post by Gorboth as an argument to present to the AoP and report it as a bug. That is, unless there is an even newer post stating the opposite.

What I'm asking for is an official transparent statement that players can rely on to determine if something is working 'as expected' or not.

In such cases, unlike in science, experiments wouldn't lead to reliable conclusions.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 01 May 2020 15:55

I think the best way here is to eaither test it out yourself, as suggested, or reach out directly to the responsible wizard, in this case the liege of the domain - Finwe. In case someone wonders who the lieges are the information can be found on the website, wizards section. https://www.genesismud.org/wizards.php. The information is automatically generated from the game, so it's always up to date. For domains without a liege, mail aop.

Personally, I don't know more than you do. I know it changed a couple of times back and forth in the past, but it's not like it changes all the time like you make it sound :)

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 01 May 2020 17:22

If they don't let you in you can just walk away? I remember when I was a goblin they shoot some arrows at me from the walls but I was able to just back out of the room.

I've tried entering both MM and MT in the past as wrong race/align and in no means are either of those death traps.
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

Dhez
Great Adventurer

Post by Dhez » 01 May 2020 22:38

I'll mail Finwe and share any conclusive data if it's found.

Testing is fine, but as I've stated.. If it changes back and forth as it has, then any tests will be unreliable.

Raelle
Great Adventurer

Post by Raelle » 01 May 2020 23:49

Cherek wrote:
01 May 2020 15:55
I know it changed a couple of times back and forth in the past, but it's not like it changes all the time
Minas Tirith's restrictions for alignment (and perhaps other things?) vary based on the Middle Earth timeline

so it does kinda change all the time

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 03 May 2020 19:47

Raelle wrote:
01 May 2020 23:49
Cherek wrote:
01 May 2020 15:55
I know it changed a couple of times back and forth in the past, but it's not like it changes all the time
Minas Tirith's restrictions for alignment (and perhaps other things?) vary based on the Middle Earth timeline

so it does kinda change all the time
Right. Poor choice of words. What I meant was we don’t change the code all the time.

finwe
Wizard

Post by finwe » 18 May 2020 03:21

I checked the gates, and this is what I found. These guilds are allowed in since they are good aligned:

* Calian warrior's guild
* Heralds of the Valar
* Holy Order of the Stars
* Noldor of Imladris
* Rangers of the Westlands
* Solamnian Knights

These evil guilds aren't allowed:
* Angmar Army
* Dragonarmy
* Drow of Underdark
* Fire Knives
* Morgul Mages
* Necromancers Of Vile Darkness
* Orcs of Middle Earth
* Priests of Takhisis
* Red Fang Guild
* Templars of Takhisis
* Warlocks of Faerun

Even though there are good aligned drow in the game, they are still blocked because of their heritage.

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 18 May 2020 14:37

I think we should add the Elemental Clerics to the good guilds list since it's a requirement for them to be goodaligned.
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/