deadly quests

Need help with quests? Maybe just some advice on which guilds to choose? This is the forum for you. Note that you must be a validated player to view this forum. (Note: Quest help should come in the form of helpful suggestions/hints, but not direct solutions/walkthrough info.)
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
gold bezie
Expert

deadly quests

Post by gold bezie » 09 Jun 2020 09:12

Hello people,

wouldnt it be helpful that a young player gets a signal when he starts a quest that might be deadly?
I think it would help people to stay around longer.

goldbezie
or well.. her puppetmaster that is
Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that.

Zhar
Wizard

Re: deadly quests

Post by Zhar » 16 Jun 2020 17:14

How do you define deadly?

There are many ways to die.
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

gold bezie
Expert

Post by gold bezie » 17 Jun 2020 19:23

good question zhar.
i personally was thinking about a quest like where someone can die without being able to escape.
Like the piequest in ME where one dies when one does not know the right syntax (the part of the spoon).
Or the murder quest in minas tirith, most quest are there for new players, but one gets deadly poisoned with this quest.
Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that.

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 18 Jun 2020 00:47

Well, I think it's part of a charm to them. Dying on the steps to Cirith Ungol is an experience in itself. With the spoon in Shire you can do it without propping the ceiling and dying, you just have to get out before it collapses, in any case examining the area beforehand gives you clues that it might not be safe. I don't remember murder quest in MT being deadly, did it many times as adventurer level characters and never felt in any danger. Perhaps you're confusing it with the missing ranger quest from Amaron, but then you're being sent into the heart of a camp of MM armies so that should be warning enough (also, you can do this quest without fighting the cook if you have the right skills).

Dying during questing has always been part of Genesis experience, warning you of potential hidden dangers (drowning, getting poisoned, falling from big heights etc.) and personally I'm not sure we should add additional warnings to them. Finding this stuff out by yourself can be fun. Just recently I've almost drowned doing the faerie quest on Holm because I was too hasty and ran out of stamina while underwater (thank Lars for the zodiac gem). It reminded me that when doing stuff like that you have to monitor your encumbrance and fatigue so you don't run into problems.

Mim
Rising Hero

Post by Mim » 18 Jun 2020 09:37

I think one of the most deadly quests ever was diving in the well in Edoras.
Perhaps this is not so any more, but back in the days with lag, people drowned like mad when the quest was opened.
Players tried do-lines (something forgotten theese days with no lag and clients) but back then it was a life saver.
do dive, swim down, swim down, etc etc
I can imagine a lot of people here who never heard about do-lines.
(I even made a do line from Dwarfheim start point.
When armageddon came, the whole game was super lagged as all players went home to sell.
tell armageddon home
do w, s, s, w, w, s, w, n, sell weapons, sell armours,
When you were transported home and activated the do line, all you could was praying it kicked in before the ten minutes were out. Even if it did, each move took quite some time to excecute.)

Mirkwood spider quest was also lethal.
If you tried it alone you almost certainly died.
Even doing it in teams was scary and dangerous.
The spiders put you in a web. In there you could do nothing, paralyzed, just hope and pray your buddy outside was fighting for you. I recall no ICQ or messenger was allowed or used. So you could not talk and ask how he was doing.
After a while in a web, you just died if I remember right, unless someone cut you out.
Back then (again) in the lag it was very possible to lose link. If the fighting friend lost his link, or if he played from work and his boss came in, you were in a VERY precarious place in a web.
Pity it is gone. Would be cool if someone could bring it back.

Moderator: This post contained too much information and spoilers for several current quests, and a large part of it has been removed. Providing hints to quests on the forums is perfectly fine, but let's try not to spoil quests for those who haven't solved them yet. I get that you probably simply wanted to talk about old memories of deadly quests Mim (which I love to do as well), but I think there were just too many spoilers in your post that might ruin things for a new player reading it.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 18 Jun 2020 13:00

I understand why you're suggesting this Goldbezie, but I am with Zhar on this one. Dying on quests is part of the experience of growing up in Genesis, and I think it should stay that way. When you die the first time, you learn that this world is dangerous, which I think makes things more exciting. Danger can lure anywhere, so be careful. If we told players what's safe and what's not, it wouldn't be as fun in my opinion.

Darken Rahl
Apprentice

Post by Darken Rahl » 18 Jun 2020 14:21

typing the name without CAPITAL letter in the beginning scabbard quest = DEATH! .. Well we all learn that names shall be written with capital letter in school, but this is a game...

Drazson
Titan

Post by Drazson » 18 Jun 2020 14:36

There are a lot of ways to die and we learn to not have it happen until you discover another route to Lars, the hard way.

I don't think i've seen a typing/answer related danger that is does not shout at you the fact that you will die if you mess up. So ... just be careful or be taught to be careful the next time, hehe. (Thinking of the golden standard quest)

What is the quest you are referring to Rahl?

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 18 Jun 2020 16:27

Drazson wrote:
18 Jun 2020 14:36
There are a lot of ways to die and we learn to not have it happen until you discover another route to Lars, the hard way.

I don't think i've seen a typing/answer related danger that is does not shout at you the fact that you will die if you mess up. So ... just be careful or be taught to be careful the next time, hehe. (Thinking of the golden standard quest)

What is the quest you are referring to Rahl?
He means the golden standard quest. And as far as I know this quest does warn you that to err is to die (which didn't prevent me from dying to it numerous times).

Drazson
Titan

Post by Drazson » 18 Jun 2020 20:44

The lists of the kings or whatever it was confuses people VERY easily. I hopped back n forth between answers and I took a lot of time. But yeah, it's a quest where you have to type something so don't mistype. If there are others that are not so obvious and warning, I am sure wizards would be eager to make them less punishing or more broacast-y of the dangers.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/