non-fighting options

Need help with quests? Maybe just some advice on which guilds to choose? This is the forum for you. Note that you must be a validated player to view this forum. (Note: Quest help should come in the form of helpful suggestions/hints, but not direct solutions/walkthrough info.)
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Laiq
Novice

non-fighting options

Post by Laiq » 22 Jan 2022 17:07

Hello all,

I've been wandering and exploring as a cadet and what I'm learning is that I dont want to fight - either fellow players or mobs.

Are there options for non-fighters? Where would be a good place to start and research?

I am currently still in the cadets - should I leave and join the magical academy?

Drazson
Titan

Re: non-fighting options

Post by Drazson » 22 Jan 2022 17:23

There is generally no way to progress much in terms of personal strength without entering combat. Questing gets you up to a certain point (And you'd be literally unable to complete some of them without having gained decent size including combat XP beforehand)

The problem is that you might be restricted in guild choices due to size as well, so eventually you'd have to gain combat experience.

If you don't want to fight yourself, you can try to become an awesome support character, maybe cure from the background or provide haste, resting from fatigue etc. Those are generally a welcome sight.

There are guilds which provide such benefits, but generally occupational guilds are supposed to be your biggest portion of strength and thus get you fight ready with weapon or magic skills et cetera.

You CAN, however, join the mercenaries which has the awesome quality of letting you train other skills (up to 100 skill-ups). So you could theoretically use your layman guild, for example Heralds of the Valar as your main role in groups and enhance their skills to a very solid level via the mercenary skill-ups.

Magic guilds can have supportive spells and utility ones as well (scrying for example), creating darkness, such stuff.

Laiq
Novice

Post by Laiq » 22 Jan 2022 17:27

thank you curing and healing seem like a really good option, I dont hate fighting - its just not my favourite thing!

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 24 Jan 2022 02:37

Unfortunately in the current state of Genesis fighting isn't really avoidable (that is, if you really want to progress). You could in theory become for example a herbalist (as herbs are in high demand) and resign yourself to just finding herbs and trading them with other players, which would be a perfectly viable way of playing the game that doesn't require much in terms of character size (experience). This, however, would still leave you with much of the game unexplored/inaccessible so it's really up to you if you want to make such decision before experiencing more of the game.

As far as support options go there are several options that can be mentioned.

For free to join occupational guilds you either have:
Mercenaries - fighter type that lets you adapt different skills but they are extremely money-intensive, especially for a new character.
School of High Magic - magic type that has a wide array of spells.

Both of them require extensive exploration though as you'll need to find the trainers/spells before you can utilize the guild to its full potential. You can use both of those guilds to enhance your layman options:

Minstrels - neutral bards that can heal, refresh and provide other benefits to the party
Heralds of the Valar - healing, cleansing of poisons, good aligned
Order of the Stars - healing, cleansing, extremely good aligned, require a lot of quest progression and some size to join
Warlocks - theoretically neutral but really evil (eating babies etc.), healing, refreshing

For more elite (non-free to join) occupational support options you have:
Rangers of the Westlands - healing, refreshing, cleansing poison, disrupting enemies, good aligned, involved in war so PvP is not optional
Priests of Takhisis - evil clerics, PvP not optional
Elemental Clerics - good clerics, PvP may not be optional depending on current guild politics
Dragon Order - neutral monks, avoid conflict, good tanks, can stun enemies

So, basically any combination of Mercenary/SoHM + above laymans or any of the more elite options will make you useful for the team as a support player. Just bear in mind that some of the more elite guilds might require you to grow to a certain size before applying because their involvement in a war and thus being pretty much forced to participate in PvP on occasion.
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

Arman
Wizard

Post by Arman » 24 Jan 2022 05:52

If you view fishing as non-violent, then that is a pathway! :)

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 24 Jan 2022 14:36

Arman wrote:
24 Jan 2022 05:52
If you view fishing as non-violent, then that is a pathway! :)
It sure is, so is smithing :) I suggested herbing as that is an avenue where you actually have more reasons to interact with other players for trading (fishing and smithing don't really provide such options).

gold bezie
Expert

Post by gold bezie » 25 Jan 2022 14:31

Still the problem remains that if one wants to grow as for example an healer or castspeller, one needs to finish quests, and for most quests you need strength and fighting skills.
This is the problem with Genesis, its hard to grow even a bit if one does not want to fight.

But i do like and support your idea Laiq.
I would love to see how you develop this character of you.
Personally i would invest in gardeners of Gont and go for herbalist.
Also there are some good layman guilds that would make you a good healer.
If you join mercs you could raise your herbalism skill a lot (if you have money).
If you want to hang out and drink a cup of coffee in the Donut sometimes, to talk about character development let Goldbezie know.
Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that.

Zhabou
Greenhorne

Post by Zhabou » 01 Jan 2023 18:50

One might choose to become a thief, smith or herbalist ... the progress will be **much** slower than if you fight things, but it would offer some progression. As a thief, there are not many NPCs who offer things to steal, but herbing could be virtually endless. If you just want to explore, being a thief might also be advantageous because some places lie behind locks. I would recommend getting some clothing/armour to cover the thief tattoo - because genesis hasn't really thought about thievery as a viable path, the best targets are players who are understandably eager to kill thieves. I would also choose a less-used start location because your tattoo-cover won't arrive immediately upon log in. There are many quests which don't require killing, and many quests which are inaccessible until you've got a terribly significant amount of practice killing things. Some of these might be completed with a powerful friend doing your killing for you.

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 01 Jan 2023 22:18

Zhabou wrote:
01 Jan 2023 18:50
One might choose to become a thief, smith or herbalist ... the progress will be **much** slower than if you fight things, but it would offer some progression. As a thief, there are not many NPCs who offer things to steal, but herbing could be virtually endless. If you just want to explore, being a thief might also be advantageous because some places lie behind locks. I would recommend getting some clothing/armour to cover the thief tattoo - because genesis hasn't really thought about thievery as a viable path, the best targets are players who are understandably eager to kill thieves. I would also choose a less-used start location because your tattoo-cover won't arrive immediately upon log in. There are many quests which don't require killing, and many quests which are inaccessible until you've got a terribly significant amount of practice killing things. Some of these might be completed with a powerful friend doing your killing for you.
What would be interesting is to have a proper system for thieves. Disarming traps, cracking safes etc.

I once toyed with the idea of introducing repeatable and randomized quest-like locations in cities for such activities that would reward you with experience like combat but my brain overloaded when I started thinking about how to make it so that you couldn't really automate it on the player end (would be too easy to gain xp and money this way).

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 02 Jan 2023 06:05

Genesis doesn’t have to be about character growth. It’s rare, but there are quite a few examples of players who have not chosen the usual path of grinding and questing to enjoy Genesis. As mentioned above, there has been players who chose to be herbalists, and mainly gathered and sold herbs to other players. I also remember one player who decided to just explore and test all sorts of weird things, and wrote books and guides about it. He discovered all sorts of fun things not even we wizards knew about. We’ve also had a few players who more or less only focused on trying to win events, and almost never played otherwise. There are also many other small “mini games” that might be fun, even if it doesn’t grow your stats. Becoming the best fisher in the game (as Arman mentioned) is one thing, or writing the best Minstrel songs and taking over the Genesis “billboard” list is another.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/