It Does Suck—Indubitably:

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.

Change alignment so that it is constant based on guild affiliation:

Poll ended at 29 Oct 2022 13:28

Implement it ASAP, I agree with Nils.
33%
Hold off a bit, I am still coming around.
5%
What
62%

Total votes: 21

Sibbedidenn
Adept

It Does Suck—Indubitably:

Post by Sibbedidenn » 31 Jul 2022 13:28

I can't help but agree with what Nils said recently, I vote to implement immediately!

To wit viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5591 —the suggestion Nils made sometime back about alignment change (a month or so ago it seems). Why not tether alignment to whatever guild you're in so goodies can grind the good spots too? Vote now.

Thalric
Rising Hero

Re: It Does Suck—Indubitably:

Post by Thalric » 31 Jul 2022 19:22

More grindspots or not, for several goodie guilds hunting all these places is horrible RP.
I wouldn't want to break my characters' standing or reputation over some extra XP.

Budwise
Veteran

Post by Budwise » 01 Aug 2022 07:30

Why not remove alignment completely then? Wouldn't make much sense to keep it. :)
Also why make Genesis even more of a grindfest, than it is today?

TaranGoatWalker
Great Adventurer

Post by TaranGoatWalker » 01 Aug 2022 09:15

It does not entirely suck. Just make evil align as hard to grind (and easy to lose) as good align, and then we'll be talking.
Stabby stabby stab stab.

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 01 Aug 2022 11:40

I think that if you want to preserve RP aspects for guilds you'd probably want something like the prestige system in the Knights or what Heralds and Order of the Stars have, where killing NPCs of a wrong alignment would actually set you back in the guild.
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

Thalric
Rising Hero

Post by Thalric » 01 Aug 2022 11:58

No, RP and code is not the same.

I could play a Knight that wasn't able to kill in Qualinost, even if I had no love for elves. Might even hate them. Code would prohibit me from RPing that part.
And then I could decide that the parents of the character were Thanarians, so for that reason I would RP a wish to never fight in the kabal cathedral, even if I codewise wouldn't have an issue with it.

One is following game rules, other is following my own rules. It is not the same.

And I agree with Tarangoatwalker...
Why is there still this huge difference between how hard it is to go one way or the other on alignment?

And if your answer is: "Because you're killing things, and killing is evil."
Then give me a way to grind-feed the hungry, that can change my alignment to holy, in minutes. About the same amount of time it takes to become evil.
But the game is based on killing, so using the RL idea of killing being evil is just moronic.
Last edited by Thalric on 01 Aug 2022 16:35, edited 1 time in total.

Mersereau
Champion

Post by Mersereau » 01 Aug 2022 12:11

"Implement it ASAP"

Are you gonna code it?
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die."
-Mel Brooks

nils
Titan

Post by nils » 01 Aug 2022 22:05

I'll just agree with myself.
Nil Mortifi Sine Lucre

TaranGoatWalker
Great Adventurer

Post by TaranGoatWalker » 03 Aug 2022 09:35

Mersereau wrote:
01 Aug 2022 12:11
"Implement it ASAP"

Are you gonna code it?
Wizard problem, not a mortal one :P
Stabby stabby stab stab.

Dravian
Greenhorne

Post by Dravian » 18 Dec 2022 02:17

Code and RP _DO_ mix.
To be honest, this does not seem to be a code issue but a willingness to RP. A Knight of Solamnia, herald of valar or OoTS, should have alignment restrictions. Even, Dragonarmies have restrictions as to alignment, though somewhat more malleable, but they are there. I know for a fact that if you are too good in alignment you cannot even intially join and you dare not log out with an alignment in a good level or auto-kick. The buffet of guilds that are offered compared to 5 years ago, I believe are more varied and offer very unlimited RP opportunities.

If you wish to RP as a holy Knight or a rough and tumble gladiator it is there but narratively, the choice of accompanying guilds should compliment your characters story. Also, should fit thematically within the role you are trying to play.

To take an example, I read of a Thanarian Knight wanting to cull the Qualinesti is fine. The opposing alignments of Thanar and Knights are a doable narrative. But that individual with such an extreme hatred for elves would be subject to the demotion of being a Knight of the Black Rose. You would have to contend with the clashing ideals and all the issues that come with a demotion as a Knight because narratively you wish to use the Thanarian's ideology as a forefront to your story. It can be done but you will have none of the full benefits of say a full-fledged Knight. Such an narrative is feasible but you have to compromise with the inherent penalties that go against the alignment of the Knighthood. It is easy to find your story and your narrative with the huge allotment of guilds that are out there but the real question is are you willing to pay the price that comes with RP or are you willing to min-max your character according to code. Fortunately with the right narrative you can do both...but it has to fit more than one dynamic.
That is the beauty of Genesis, you can find a story or make a story happen with your character in the realms provided. It is all in the eye of the beholder, but that beholder is ultimately you and you have to decide what will work with what is there.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/