Discussion on Botting (Split from Just Curious thread)

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Rhynox
Titan

Re: Discussion on Botting (Split from Just Curious thread)

Post by Rhynox » 18 Jul 2010 03:03

I completely agree that grinding is the boring part of the game. That is why I say newbies should leave the newbie area at expert, to prevent them all the boring grinding while young. I already suggested to give more experience to people smaller so that they can reach the biggest ones faster. I don't have problems with that.

And it is true, if you got some experience removed, you may not want to play again. However, personally, seeing people outgrow me by botting made me stop playing. Maybe I am just jealous that I don't have (or maybe don't trust!) a buddy enough to give him my character, a keyword to control him and my phone number to SMS me if you need me at the screen immediately... who knows...

petros
Site Admin

Post by petros » 18 Jul 2010 05:22

Rhynox wrote:Maybe I am just jealous that I don't have (or maybe don't trust!) a buddy enough to give him my character, a keyword to control him and my phone number to SMS me if you need me at the screen immediately... who knows...
To be clear, a person who creates a trigger to have someone else control them while they are away is essentially doing the same thing as giving someone their character to play. Since players who give their characters to others are subject to deletion, players who allow themselves to be controlled by a bot will be seen and treated similarly. The person who engaged is controlling two characters at once (ie. the person issuing the commands to the botted character) is doing the same thing as double logging. This is also subject to deletion and will not be tolerated.

Budwise
Veteran

Post by Budwise » 18 Jul 2010 09:09

Grinding is boring and it actually becomes more boring with size as more cows or trolls needs to be whacked to grow.
For me advancing in size and titles and what have you was one of the motivators for playing.
But now all my guildlevels are maxxed and stats are just below supreme and growth is now slooooow.
So I can see why people would go robo on the whole thing if theres 10.000 cows to be killed
before your stats budge.

But is there a solution? Unlimited growth has not been the policy here for some time,
hence the stuff that slows growth as you get bigger. I guess it might be the best compromise
as a statcap would completely remove the incentive to play to grow.

So what could replace growth as an incentive to play and how do we implement it?

Rhynox
Titan

Post by Rhynox » 18 Jul 2010 17:05

This is the famous "end game" content. What do you do after you have reached myth and maxed your titles? Some like to quest, but even quests are limited (not myself, I still need to do over 50 quests!). Some like to grind, so they don't require anything else. Some like to fight, they don't need anything else. But those who don't like pfighting nor grinding are left with little options. Roleplay, but there are very few active who like it. Exploring, but it is hard to explore when you know most (if not all) Genesis already. Craftsman activities like forging and herbing, but those are also repetitive and bot-likely (plus in the case of smiths, you are a very easy target even if you are paying attention, as rooms have a single exit, and you cannot react before it is blocked due the smith forging system).

Personally, I would be happy if I could forge new types of items, and if the forges weren't a mortal trap. What would you like for end gaming content?

fulgrim
Apprentice

Post by fulgrim » 18 Jul 2010 17:54

Budwise wrote: So I can see why people would go robo on the whole thing if theres 10.000 cows to be killed
before your stats budge.
Where are these cows!?!? Are they good xp!?!?!

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 18 Jul 2010 18:45

fulgrim wrote:Where are these cows!?!? Are they good xp!?!?!
it's the secret cow-level - you gotta get Gorboth's leg, stone it with the night-blue stone, insert into a gnome's gizmo and you get the portal to the cows with limited entries
Ilrahil wrote: would walk in, kill through the room I was in not saying a word and then wonder why I came into the next room or two all mad
Beregond and Hektor did that a tad differently:
come in, attack the mob I was fighting, kill it, kill other mobs in same room (all in darkness), intro meanwhile, leave, not answer my messages that it was at least unfuckingpolite what they did

Greywolf
Adventurer

Post by Greywolf » 18 Jul 2010 23:31

Ilrahil wrote:For the love of god just stop suggesting stat caps. Another thread I'll remove myself from because of the idea.
See....the thing is...caps make sense to a whole bunch of people. Maybe they are just ignorant of the implications of something so drastic or maybe they are just lazy and don't want to quest or grind. But some think the game would be much better off with a cap of some sort. When the idea of a stat cap seems to solve a problem that is being discussed, why shouldn't it be mentioned? In case it offends you? :roll:

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 18 Jul 2010 23:48

Tbh i dont think Statcap accomplishes anything.
Anything but chasing away people like Xar and Freya(also known as really fucking huge players) away from the game.
And elitists like Ilrahil too i guess :)
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

Rhynox
Titan

Post by Rhynox » 19 Jul 2010 00:12

If stats were capped, a) people who only grind to grow will stop doing so, freeing those areas for others to enjoy; b) they will search for other alternatives, for example, pfighting; c) since stats are capped, there will be no longer supermyths able to tank 7 people at the same time, thus making the balance team worry only about "perfect" balance (where the biggest myths have the same statistics split in different percentages instead of huge differences); d) if you die, you know once you recover you can go back to pfighting since there is nothing else to do.

However, a stat cap doesn't have to mean an experience cap. For example, if we cap statistics at 100,000,000 xp, then you could continue grinding and increasing your experience, but only the first 100,000,000 will be used to calculate your statistics. After grinding and reaching 130,000,000, you will continue to look the same physically. If you die, your experience will drop to 105,000,000 (for example) but since only the first 100m are taken into account, you will continue to look the same.

A sensible cap would be supreme^6 (that is, supreme in every statistics) but it could also be lower or higher. The problem would be what to do with the people who are way above there (which aren't that many actually, even less active, like Xar and Freya), as they would have their statistics suddenly cut. If the cap is lower, it would affect even more people. If we raise the cap to Xar size, it will only affect him (which is unjust, as the game would continue to be fun for everyone else except him).

Just as in World of Warcraft, the cap could be raised every year. If you have accumulated enough experience through the year, you will start the new one with a bigger mortal size. This would make balancing much easier, as balancing guilds through their biggest characters isn't good for them.

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 19 Jul 2010 06:39

Rhynox wrote:If stats were capped, a) people who only grind to grow will stop doing so, freeing those areas for others to enjoy; b) they will search for other alternatives, for example, pfighting; c) since stats are capped, there will be no longer supermyths able to tank 7 people at the same time, thus making the balance team worry only about "perfect" balance (where the biggest myths have the same statistics split in different percentages instead of huge differences); d) if you die, you know once you recover you can go back to pfighting since there is nothing else to do.

those are assumptions - NOT facts
they are not true even for me ... and my char is far from supersized

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/