Discussion on Botting (Split from Just Curious thread)

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Rhynox
Titan

Re: Discussion on Botting (Split from Just Curious thread)

Post by Rhynox » 19 Jul 2010 13:10

Of course. But it would bring back a similar environment as with the old mortal titles, where people only cared about being champion and not whether they were "big" champions or "small" champions.

Freya

Post by Freya » 19 Jul 2010 13:27

amberlee wrote:Tbh i dont think Statcap accomplishes anything.
Anything but chasing away people like Xar and Freya(also known as really fucking huge players) away from the game.
And elitists like Ilrahil too i guess :)

Actually I doubt I am even top 5 anymore...

Xar, Irk, Seren, Rage, Didelith

I am pretty sure they are all above me, hell I havent even recovered from my death months ago!

I do ask though, who wants to cap the stat cap at titan? And what should everyone above titan do?

Just smile and say, hey throw away my 15 years of playing the game so you can reach it in 2 months, and ask yourself, how many would stay with a cap?

While I know most of you people out there were not around for the statchange around 97-98(?)
I can tell you that the effect it had on the game was not a good one, big chunk of the playerbase left in just a month or so, and to be honest I do not think the game would suffer another big loss without going under...

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 19 Jul 2010 14:14

Freya wrote:I do ask though, who wants to cap the stat cap at titan? And what should everyone above titan do?

Just smile and say, hey throw away my 15 years of playing the game so you can reach it in 2 months
actually titan can be reached easily (without being dragged to idle-exp by teams) within a significantly shorter time than 2 months without extensive gaming (i.e. few hours daily, less than 5 days weekly)

Rhynox
Titan

Post by Rhynox » 19 Jul 2010 18:27

I think it this way: at which mortal level grinding becomes tedious and bots start appearing? I believe after hero/titan grinding becomes boring. Of course, it then comes into play what the biggest players around think about the cap. The game could force their deaths, increase chit rate to 75 or 80% after legend, and in a week there will be no myths left, then you could apply a cap :twisted: Unfortunately, there is no compromise from big players to give up a chunk of their experience to make a cap where everyone is able to enjoy the game, nor from the wizards to implement it.

Ilrahil

Post by Ilrahil » 19 Jul 2010 20:21

Rhynox hits it pretty dead on. Stat cap for me = Farewell Genesis. And I know many who would follow me right out the door for the same reasons. Genesis wouldn't survive a stat cap and if it did it would decimate the player base even more which is why I say stop bringing it up.

fulgrim
Apprentice

Post by fulgrim » 19 Jul 2010 23:46

Laurel wrote:
Freya wrote:I do ask though, who wants to cap the stat cap at titan? And what should everyone above titan do?

Just smile and say, hey throw away my 15 years of playing the game so you can reach it in 2 months
actually titan can be reached easily (without being dragged to idle-exp by teams) within a significantly shorter time than 2 months without extensive gaming (i.e. few hours daily, less than 5 days weekly)
How can you say that!?

Only a player who knows a lot of quests and has extensive experience of Genesis could reach Titan within those hours you mention.

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 20 Jul 2010 06:56

fulgrim wrote:How can you say that!?
I've seen it happen = it's possible

Greywolf
Adventurer

Post by Greywolf » 20 Jul 2010 09:05

Laurel wrote:actually titan can be reached easily (without being dragged to idle-exp by teams) within a significantly shorter time than 2 months without extensive gaming (i.e. few hours daily, less than 5 days weekly)
Laurel- This is not a reasonable expectation for a new player without quest lists. I don't even think its reasonable for somone who hasn't created a second in the last 3 or 4 years if they do the quests entirely from memory. Possible doesn't mean probable.

Ilrahil- Without new players the game is dead...not in the process of dying or almost dead, but dead already. The game has been dead for a number of years now and wont get any more dead if a few more people decide to leave. Right now Genesis caters to the few remaining diehards who have been here for`a decade or more. If it continues to do so then no amount of promotion or polishing will significantly increase the number of new players that continue to play for a significant amount of time.

I think some form of size cap is a necessary step for attracting new players and the number of players who leave because of it will be offset by the number of players who begin playing again or play more frequently. Thats why I think it should be discussed whenever its appropriate.

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 20 Jul 2010 09:41

re-read the section about stat-changes from Xteen years ago and it's impact on the playerbase written by Freya
add the facts that currently Gen is in NO way in a similar situation compared to other on-line games as it was Xteen years ago AND that it's player-base is like 20-30% of the playerbase from Xteen years ago

for me the outcome of A+B+C is the same as Ilrahil wrote and Freya suggested ... but I guess we live in different worlds and/or play different games

Greywolf
Adventurer

Post by Greywolf » 20 Jul 2010 11:15

Laurel wrote:re-read the section about stat-changes from Xteen years ago and it's impact on the playerbase written by Freya
add the facts that currently Gen is in NO way in a similar situation compared to other on-line games as it was Xteen years ago AND that it's player-base is like 20-30% of the playerbase from Xteen years ago

for me the outcome of A+B+C is the same as Ilrahil wrote and Freya suggested ... but I guess we live in different worlds and/or play different games
I wasn't around when the stat changes occurred in the mid 90's but my understanding is that characters were outgrowing the game at a rate the wizards could not keep up with so they shrunk the characters. Although today some people suggest shrinking some of the bigger characters by capping stats or size at a lower level, I don't think thats necessary. I just think growth needs to be stopped so from my perspective the effects of the changes that occurred then are not relevant to what I am suggesting now. Although they may be relevant to what others suggest.

It is also interesting to note that Genesis continued to attract significant numbers of new players for years after the stat changes and when I started playing (after the stat changes) there were regularly 100+ people in the game. Not exactly the doomesday scenario that people keep threatening. Over the years far more people left Genesis because they couldn't keep up with the compulsive grinders then the number of people that stayed so they could grind compulsively.

I agree with you, Laurel, that we do in fact live in different worlds and play different games however.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/