Tactical combat and combos

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Rhaegar
Legend

Tactical combat and combos

Post by Rhaegar » 26 Jul 2010 18:59

Just a thought, after playing Guild Wars for some years now, it occured to me that what they devised there is simple yet ingenious way of adding additional depth to combat.
What I'm thinking about is conditions that can be applied in various ways and then exploited.

Example conditions: haste, slow, weakness, poison, deep wound, bleeding, crippled, burning, hex, enchantment, blindness etc.

Now, there are skills and spells that can apply them and skills and spells that exploit them, usually in one of two ways:
1. Dependance - skill or spell will only work if the target has certain condition applied to it.
2. Enhancement - skill or spell will have additional effect/stronger effect if the target is under the effect of a condition.

I think it would be cool to include such thing in Genesis, it would make combat a lot more interesting (instead of just spamming things and not paying attention to anything but health levels really) as in order to be really effective you would have to track the conditions, time your specials/spells better, use them in specific order etc.

Example for fighters:

You have a special that has a chance to cause bleeding, and another one that works only when the target is bleeding and inflicts additional damage.

Example for spellcasters:

You have a spell that can knock someone down and a spell that does direct damage and applies additional effect (or just deals more damage) when target is knocked down.

It hasn't got all that much meaning for 1v1 combat, but in teams, when several people can exploit certain condition in various ways (even if the one applying it can't), it becomes way more interesting.

What do you think about it?
I fear no evil for I am fear incarnate.

Kitriana
Champion

Re: Tactical combat and combos

Post by Kitriana » 26 Jul 2010 20:11

Sounds interesting.. but complicated to balance
If something I wrote sounds confusing ... assume you misunderstood it.

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 26 Jul 2010 20:43

Aion ... riiiiight ... :twisted: :roll:

Alorrana
Myth

Post by Alorrana » 26 Jul 2010 21:18

Last edited by Alorrana on 31 Aug 2010 10:43, edited 1 time in total.
I’m not a complete idiot. Some pieces are missing.

Earth
Great Adventurer

Post by Earth » 27 Jul 2010 01:39

I agree with Alorrana. I think already have a lot different abilities in the game to make things quite interesting.

If anything, I would like for the wizards to continue their track of standardizing abilities in the realms so that they all work the same way across Genesis (ships, special attacks, blocking, magic, quest orbs, etc). Their continuing work to standardize code will go a long way in making things better. There are still things that do not check for the proper resistances, etc.

One of the largest problems with Genesis is that the code was created over several years by people with several different coding skill levels. I think much more priority should be placed on standardizing the existing concepts before any more work be done in new development of new concepts, especially those that deal with combat.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/