Stuck in forest

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Davvol
Veteran

Re: Stuck in forest

Post by Davvol » 03 Sep 2010 08:57

Done. All time together spent for this - 5 hours. 4 sheets of paper (both sides) and one Excel sheet. Excel is a king!

Earth
Great Adventurer

Post by Earth » 03 Sep 2010 16:05

Cherek wrote:I waited a long time before doing this one since everyone said it was so annoying and hard. Well, it was annoying, it was hard, it took hours, but as Gorboth said, even as the experience reward wasnt much, the reward of finally making it totally on your own was good enough. I agree it should be rewarded much higher though since no quest-doc can help you here.

My map looked totally crazy with round circles for each room and arrows for their exits, then countless of lines all over going from room to room. And then some color coding with markers on top of that. :)

Earth, 35min? Really? Without knowing anything to begin with?
Davvol wrote:Done. All time together spent for this - 5 hours. 4 sheets of paper (both sides) and one Excel sheet. Excel is a king!
I knew the basic concept. On the forum, I think it was adriel's, people were posting scanned images of their maps, and was able to figured out. Of course, being the technogeek I am, I used Excel as well. If you can approximate the number of possible choices in each category, you can predesign your sheet with the "map" minus the exits.

All hail the power of a well designed spreadsheet! :P

Davvol
Veteran

Post by Davvol » 03 Sep 2010 17:40

I did it in simlier way
Just 5 columns - room, room on the north, east,south and west. And used 3 letter abbrivations to code the room.

Mersereau
Champion

Post by Mersereau » 03 Sep 2010 21:44

Earth wrote: All hail the power of a well designed spreadsheet! :P
I agree!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SNxaJlicEU
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die."
-Mel Brooks

Earth
Great Adventurer

Post by Earth » 04 Sep 2010 18:45

:lol:

Really funny. Reminds me of the days I used to work tech support.

Mim
Rising Hero

Post by Mim » 05 Sep 2010 08:40

I did this quest three times.

When Re Albi -> Cadu
Then a third time for Merc skill quest.

I was also on my own back then, but figured out the way to do it.
The first two times it took me maybe 2 hours (or perhaps even more)
The last time I did number my rooms. Every new room I entered got a new number.
Each time I entered a room from a new direction and it was an 'old' room I came to, I ran to the highest number (using my map) and tried on from there instead of finding out all exits in the mapped rooms.
This speeded up the process and the last time was actually around those 35 mins mentioned before.
I have met quite a few players who gave up on it, but with this little strategy hint, they finally finished the quest.

In the old days the quest was called 'True name'
The hermit told you your true name when you came there. This was a funny little name and it was a pity that little extra thing was removed.
No idea what my 'True name' is. I simply forgot. :(

Booger
Veteran

Post by Booger » 09 Jan 2011 05:44

So you have a personalized maze here, different for everyone, so you have to solve it yourself?
I am SO impressed!!!
Big kudos to whoever created this!

You had some interesting mazes in the old days too (a swamp that swallowed everything you dropped, a huge maze with all "bad" exits leading to random rooms, so unless you knew the path it was pretty tough to find it by mapping the area), but this is the only personalized maze I have ever heard of.
Great work! Thanks a lot!

For anyone not knowing how to map a basic maze, there will be a book available in the Smart Goblins' Club, as soon as some immortal goes there and accepts the "new" books written there. *hint* *wink*

And with the additional problem of gnomes, bringing back whatever you drop. Neat!

Small suggestion: Since not everyone wants to spend time mapping, or maybe don't know how to do it and isn't interested in learning, how about making it possible to solve it in different ways? Just make sure this standard way is the easiest way, and other options are actually worse, with the only bonus being that you don't have to map a maze:

1) Make the gnome possible to attack and kill, but make it extremely hard/boring to do so (lots of hitpoints, the gnome flees a lot and has to be hunted down, and he doesn't give eq or xp, but if you put effort into it you can kill him, thus giving you a possibility to map the maze by droppinmg item in the rooms, though using the differences already existing in the rom should be a lot faster).

2) And the gnome could know the way, so if you pay him a HUGE load of money, he will lead you there. Not sure what would be appropriate, but I'd guess something along the line of 1000 pc might be enough. Maybe more. Definitely not less. Should be enough to not be an option unless you REALLY hate mapping.
Booger/Cindy/Enigma

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/