Imbuements Imminent?

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
OgreToyBoy
Champion

Re: Imbuements Imminent?

Post by OgreToyBoy » 24 Jan 2011 06:17

But I'm pretty sure the new buyout option is in line with the new age in online games.
It's either quest or the VISA/Mastercard option :lol:

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 24 Jan 2011 18:24

Cherek,

I've been cut to the quick by that one! Yikes!

I have to totally agree with everything you wrote. Perhaps the better way to go is precisely as you propose. See if the quest design (which was very carefully considered) is indeed fun and intuitive enough to "prove the point" that quests can be valuable and fun in the game.

Sometimes I get too focused on the destination and forget entirely about the journey. I will think more on this, but I feel your advice is exactly right.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

OgreToyBoy
Champion

Post by OgreToyBoy » 24 Jan 2011 19:04

As long as I don't have to ruin my poor gooey brain with a hard quest I'm all for doing this one.
I for one look forward to something new and will do my hardest to figure out this quest and I will
most likely succeed as long as its a kill x amount of critters quest, else I have to open the old bankbook.

Bromen
Champion

Post by Bromen » 26 Jan 2011 11:27

If the quests are anything like the Merc spy, I'm on board.

Bromen, the CHAMPION haha

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 27 Jan 2011 01:42

gorboth wrote:Cherek,

I've been cut to the quick by that one! Yikes!

I have to totally agree with everything you wrote. Perhaps the better way to go is precisely as you propose. See if the quest design (which was very carefully considered) is indeed fun and intuitive enough to "prove the point" that quests can be valuable and fun in the game.

Sometimes I get too focused on the destination and forget entirely about the journey. I will think more on this, but I feel your advice is exactly right.

G.
I'm on a roll with Gorboth-compatible suggestions lately! :)

Well I dont know how the system will work or anything, but I have been working with creative stuff all my life and I've learned that as long as you go with what YOU really think is the best way, you'll usually end up with something other people like too. (Unless you have no idea what you are doing, but if you dont you usually wont stay long in your line of work). Anyway, once you start getting insecure and question yourself and look for ways "out", it usually doesnnt work out that well in the end.

I take it you personally have been involved in creating these quests, and if they are anything like the others quests you have been involved in, I think its gonna be a great showcase for a fun type of questing. Even the most anti-quest people usually mention some well-known Gorboth-quest as one of the best. And also the tutorial area including quest and storyline is usually mentioned as one of the best improvements in recent years.

If this is anything like that, I think its gonna be a success. Even without a buy-out. And if it totally sucks I guess we can get the option buy out later...:P By offering a buy-out at the start, alot of people will most likely miss out on quests that are actually enjoyable.

Bromen: The mercy spy does have that Gorboth-ish feel to it. I really dont have a clue who coded it, but I guessing he was involved in that one too. (If not, creds to whoever else coded it!). I am also hoping the new imbuement quests will be of a similar style. Its a great example of a quest with a simple yet fun storyline, and where thinking logically works, and where you also get 'help' figuring out the syntaxes so you dont get stuck on that.

The Labal-quests in Terel Ilrahil mentioned in the other thread are also imho good examples of a new and much better way of coding quests.

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 27 Jan 2011 04:45

:)

What nice words. I am someone who loves a good story and a good quest more than just about anything else. The number of quests in the game that I have created are relatively few. They include, in order of creation:

Amon-Din Firewood (1996, Gondor)
Entwash Mosquito (1996, Gondor)
Crystal Torque (2003, Emerald)
7 Tutorial Quests (2006, Sparkle)
Wednesday Market Quest (2008, Sparkle)
Merc Spy Quest (2010, Sparkle)
4 Imbuement Quests (2011 pending, Sparkle)

The Amon-Din quest was my apprentice wizard project, and it is fairly weak, in my opinion. The Imbuement quests, hopefully, will be the sort of thing people enjoy. The "lore" and "story" behind them is probably roughly equal, and possibly slightly greater in volume, than what is experienced in the Torque. Unlike most of the above quests (the Tutorial ones being the exception) the Imbuement quests require a very large amount of combat to complete. I suspect they will challenge even the mightiest myth in that way. ;-)

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Sharn
Expert

Post by Sharn » 27 Jan 2011 08:48

gorboth wrote:Amon-Din Firewood (1996, Gondor)
Entwash Mosquito (1996, Gondor)
Crystal Torque (2003, Emerald)
7 Tutorial Quests (2006, Sparkle)
Merc Spy Quest (2010, Sparkle)
4 Imbuement Quests (2011 pending, Sparkle)
Who did the auction quest in Sparkle? I like it :)
Feels like yours.

Ilrahil

Post by Ilrahil » 27 Jan 2011 19:35

Novo did the auction house quest.

There's a room that's in Gondor... I can't remember exactly what it is says but its behind a locked door that takes super high lock pick skill to finish.

I believe it says "I will finish this later, Gorboth"

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 27 Jan 2011 22:39

Hee hee! That is a good example of me not knowing what players were capable of back when I was just an apprentice wizard. Funny stuff, Ilrahil.

I forgot! I added to the list above the Sparkle Market Quest, which I completed in 2008.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Alexi
Veteran

Re: Imbuements Imminent?- Gorboth

Post by Alexi » 04 Feb 2011 22:29

I know you probably don't wish to hand out specifics but I was curious will there be offensive imbuements for amours as well as assuming weapons? For those of us who don't use any type of weapon it would be nice to be remembered that not all of us use weapons, so perhaps having FBB flames on a pair a gloves like it might be found on a club will be nice.

Haven't seen it mentioned, so figured I'd chime in.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/