Retiring characters

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Rhynox
Titan

Retiring characters

Post by Rhynox » 20 Oct 2010 07:41

There is this game I absolutely love named Etrian Odyssey, a dungeon crawler. In the game, at anytime you can "retire" one of your characters. Retiring means the character leaves your group forever, and a new one is given to you as replacement. EO1 had a very harsh retirement, but EO2 was pretty good: you would get back a character of around half the level of your retired one (maximum level is 70, so retiring at 70 you would get a character of level 30), but this new character would get an extra skill point you could use, and its maximum level would be upgraded to 71. If you retire a level 99 character, you get 10 extra skills points.

So, maybe retiring a character in Genesis could give you such advantage? If you retire a myth, you get back a hero character that has one skill point you could allocate in any skill you have learned. Retiring him again would give you another skill point. For a long time Armitace told me about new stuff for myths to keep players busy. I am sure many powerplayers would bite at the possibility of retiring his character several times to be able to have skills higher.

Many players don't want to "retry" the game because they have already done all the quests, or don't have the time to grind. But may they would try new guilds if they were able to start not from scratch, but from a different mortal level. Maybe even starting a new character and having experience from your main character transferred to the new one.

Dang, not sure if I should post this, but heck, already typed it.

OgreToyBoy
Champion

Re: Retiring characters

Post by OgreToyBoy » 20 Oct 2010 07:49

Well, think you'd have to start all over anyway considering quests :?
Maybe can get that one skillpoint extra if you really think that'd be worth it hehe.

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 20 Oct 2010 09:06

what good are even 10-20 skillpoints available, if you can become merc? also - 10-20 skillpoints won't make half the difference in a fight as gear does (both offensive and defensive)

Hektor
Veteran

Post by Hektor » 20 Oct 2010 11:01

I would say 20 skill points actually has a huge impact on combat nowadays. General combat from playing my scop to a fighter character with higher skills but much smaller and with lesser gear I still find the fighter doing pretty good. It seems to me by the combat recode a few years ago that skill points really made a re-entry vs gear/stats - But maybe it is a skewed perception?

I for one would not want to retire a character completely for a small bonus on a new one. I do loathe having to do all the quests all over again... the few times I do consider shelfing Hektor in favor of a new character.
Lawful evil - conform or die.

Bromen
Champion

Post by Bromen » 20 Oct 2010 19:08

I'll buy Hektor for $50 canadian.

deal?

Anahita
Adventurer

Post by Anahita » 21 Oct 2010 19:44

bromen wrote:I'll buy Hektor for $50 canadian.

deal?
You can have him for $30.

Greneth

Post by Greneth » 25 Oct 2010 20:00

Anahita wrote:
bromen wrote:I'll buy Hektor for $50 canadian.

deal?
You can have him for $30.
Pffft... aint worth it ;-)

Hektor
Veteran

Post by Hektor » 03 Nov 2010 14:51

The support.. wow.. :mrgreen:

Bromen - No.
Anahita - Hush.
Greneth - I have accidently killed before...
Lawful evil - conform or die.

Greneth

Post by Greneth » 04 Nov 2010 02:30

hektor wrote:The support.. wow.. :mrgreen:

Bromen - No.
Anahita - Hush.
Greneth - I have accidently killed before...
You did that on purpose!

Fourtcoer
Wanderer

Post by Fourtcoer » 10 Nov 2010 01:03

I think it would be cool if you could do this - basically scrap your old character, but start a new one with 0 combat experience yet ALL your quest experience and quest flags.

Really, after a certain number of times those quests are far too tedious to think about doing again.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/