Newbie Guide

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Gub
Adventurer

Newbie Guide

Post by Gub » 01 Nov 2010 00:42

Newbie Guide

Last edited: I added in some skills for people to try and max at the Novice and Greenhorne levels. Feedback welcome.

Needs: Killing areas for the sizes.

Novice
Killing Area: Newbie Land
Quests:
Skills: Sword, Defence, Parry, Climb, Swim

Greenhorne
Killing Area: Newbie Land
Quests:
Skills: Polearm, Sneak, Hide

Beginner
Recommendations: Guild join Cadets, ^Elemental Arts
Klling Area: Shire Orcs, Gont Sailors
Quests: Middle Earth Shire, Krynn Solace

Apprentice
Killing Area: Shire Orcs, Gont Sailors
Quests: Calia Gelan, Calia Argos

Wanderer
Killing Area: Gont Sailors
Quests: Gont Aunty, Gont Thera

Adventurer
Killing Area: Small Gont Guards, Sailors
Quests: Palanthas

Adept
Killing Area: Gont Guards, Sailors, Faerie Orcs
Quests: Terel Mansion

Great Adventurer
Recommendations: Guild join Mercenaries, Guild join Gladiators
Killing Area: Gont Guards, Sailors, Faerie Orcs
Quests:

Veteran
Killing Area: Gont Guards
Quests:

Expert
Killing Area: Gont Guards, Faerun Lizardmen
Quests:

Rising Hero
Killing Area: Gont Guards, Faerun Lizardmen
Quests:

^ - Denotes more challenging style of play, not recommended for first timers.
Last edited by Gub on 10 Nov 2010 06:38, edited 4 times in total.

Alorrana
Myth

Re: Newbie Guide

Post by Alorrana » 01 Nov 2010 01:02

Good idea.

The more help newbies and newcommers to the game can get, im all for it.
I’m not a complete idiot. Some pieces are missing.

Gub
Adventurer

Post by Gub » 01 Nov 2010 23:15

Added in what I thought would be a good idea for killing areas, will attempt to add in quests later.

Draugor

Post by Draugor » 02 Nov 2010 02:13

Perhaps a warning for things like racist knights on the plains or racist gondorians etc? So Goblin newbies dont run there and flat out die

Hektor
Veteran

Post by Hektor » 03 Nov 2010 14:35

Hey

This is a really good idea. I was thinking some about skills. The ones I suggest are probably just parts of the equation for important newbie skills so please pinch in.

Combatwise:
Defence, parry, unarmed combat, sword, polearm - the swords often seems to be lying around and people tend to have spares also some quests requires magic swords for fighting, polearm because Bubba can make those for you.

Funds:
Trading, herbalism

General/Questing:
Awareness, location sense, climb, swim, sneak, hide

I would consider moving the Mercenaries (& Gladiators?) up to GA level, but keep Cadets & Academy there as well because they still have merit for the low funded slow growing player. I think the Elemental Academy works for first timers as well, as things are fairly well explained in their help files? But trying them was of course with 12 yrs of experience. It would be interesting to see what a real first timer would make of them and essentially if one could expand on the available information.

Either way.. great initiative Gub.
Lawful evil - conform or die.

Anahita
Adventurer

Post by Anahita » 04 Nov 2010 07:36

Draugor wrote:Perhaps a warning for things like racist knights on the plains or racist gondorians etc? So Goblin newbies dont run there and flat out die
I had no idea that happened. Thats hilarious. They should be updated to include orcs too. :D

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 04 Nov 2010 18:28

Well, there are tons of things that attack non-goblin and goodie-newbies too. Ithilien is very dangerous for instance. Its a dangerous world. However when the questmaster in Pelargir tells you to go to Minas Tirith on a tour and you end up dead because you happen to be a goblin. Or Tarshir tells you to go to Vingaard Keep. Such newbie-traps maybe arent so good...:) So some "Beware if you're a goblin" - notes might be a good idea in a guide.

But it shouldnt be too cuddly and cozy! Some parts of the realms should be dangerous. Its part of the fun too. Thats what I remember from my own newbie days as something positive, that the world was dangerous.

Draugor

Post by Draugor » 04 Nov 2010 18:46

Cherek wrote:Well, there are tons of things that attack non-goblin and goodie-newbies too. Ithilien is very dangerous for instance. Its a dangerous world. However when the questmaster in Pelargir tells you to go to Minas Tirith on a tour and you end up dead because you happen to be a goblin. Or Tarshir tells you to go to Vingaard Keep. Such newbie-traps maybe arent so good...:) So some "Beware if you're a goblin" - notes might be a good idea in a guide.

But it shouldnt be too cuddly and cozy! Some parts of the realms should be dangerous. Its part of the fun too. Thats what I remember from my own newbie days as something positive, that the world was dangerous.

Or they just make Goblins under GA able to enter or so?

Ilrahil

Post by Ilrahil » 04 Nov 2010 19:21

I've brought this topic up before. I'd like to see a Quest leeway given in regards to that. For those people who are damned and would get kicked for going good aligned or vice versa with holy. For racial restrictions on quests set up a system.

Access can be requested but it can only be for questing purposes only. If anything else is attacked a penalty such as stat drain for 5 gametime hours, or I would not even be opposed to a death should be implemented to keep people from abusing it. This would allow people to quest without that hindrance. Let's face it, yes you get huge boosts in combat aid for being a goblin but you can't do a very large handful of quests if one. This would solve it.

Arcon

Post by Arcon » 04 Nov 2010 19:33

Tarshir could just send goblins and evil people to Sanction to visit Ariakas or the clerk. And in Pelargir they could go to MM. Shouldn't be too hard to fix I guess.

btw, I think Tarshir or at least the tour note say something about being careful if you are a goblin.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/